The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Cab floor repair (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=772013)

rotten67 09-24-2018 11:00 PM

Cab floor repair

Is there anyone that specialize in repair of the cab floor? This project is stalled because I'm not sure how to go about fixing that part .

darrellyates 09-25-2018 02:27 PM

Re: Cab floor repair

1 Attachment(s)
Use the search above for floor repair or floor replacement. Any competent body shop can replace the floor in your truck. I had the entire floor in my truck replaced, as after sandblasting the bottom basically was full of small holes. I'll try to post a couple of pictures. I just did this with a Camaro as well. You have to cross brace the cab, then drill all the spot welds out, then it basically drops out. Of course, you have to have the cab off of the frame for this, so you must tear it down completely.

I've seen posts on here where people do it one side at a time, and leave it on the frame, but I don't see how that saves any time or money. Plus, when you buy a full floor, it comes with all the mounts and bracing pre-installed, so everything is new once you put it in.

After raising into position re-drill all the holes and spot or plug weld it back together then seam seal everything, and you are ready to scuff, prime and paint.

It's a big job, but really nice to have everything solid again.

Good Luck. Will try to post a couple of pictures...

GASoline71 09-25-2018 02:37 PM

You can look through my build thread (link "The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck" in my signature line) and see what I did. I didn't take the cab off the frame, and I didn't need to brace the cab anywhere. I did one side at a time. I was in no rush, and took my time. This was my first attempt at sheetmetal/patch panel repair. I had to fabricate numerous pieces all on my own with simple hand tools. The main thing is access to a welder. I also bought a cheap-o Harbor Freight hammer and dolly set.

Gary

rotten67 09-25-2018 02:57 PM

Thanks guys I'm a mechanic by trade I'm not good with body work. I've seen a lot of bad body work dont know how to find body man that will actually take the time to do it right. Thought maybe someone specializes In these trucks would do it right. I wouldn't mind hauling it to them for peace of mind.

68Gold/white 09-25-2018 03:56 PM

I think, you have to become a paying member, then you could advertise somewhere here, needing your work done???

Just keep looking through threads here, hundreds of threads with home fashioned metal work, and done correctly!!!

Moderator's can you point him in a direction? Thanks!!!

1971Stepside 09-25-2018 04:02 PM

I see you are in Cheyenne. Call WyoTech. I'm sure they know someone that can do good work that isn't a newbie student.

clay68c10 09-26-2018 09:58 AM

If you are willing to go to Ft Collins, I have a friend there that does good work. His name is Frank and he works at a shop called The Motorway. Give them a call.
I went to WyoTech with him back in 2001. He will take the time to do it right.

sick472 09-26-2018 10:47 AM

If you any interest in doing this yourself...the floor pans are a great place to learn. You can buggar them up learning and it all gets covered up in the end. That's where I started the sheet metal work on my 72 and before it was over I had done cab corners, rockers, lower doors, cab subframe, & one entire lower bedside. It's not fantastic, but for my first full rusted out restoration...it's certainly something to be proud of. You'll know pretty quick if you have a knack for it, and if not, take it to a shop. You will understand why they charge so much for sheet metal work...it takes alot of time to do it right.

68Gold/white 09-26-2018 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1971Stepside (Post 8351496)
I see you are in Cheyenne. Call WyoTech. I'm sure they know someone that can do good work that isn't a newbie student.

Or maybe they need something to work on.....