The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   how much does a dbl wall hard top weigh? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=203155)

Blizz 06-19-2006 08:41 PM

how much does a dbl wall hard top weigh?

i need to rig up a system to hoist up my hard top from the ceiling of my garage. i'm curious about if i need to reinforce anything up there.

krue 06-19-2006 09:07 PM

Re: how much does a dbl wall hard top weigh?

Check the FAQ index thread, there's a write up on a hoist like you need.

IGOR 06-19-2006 09:45 PM

Very heavy

Jason915 06-20-2006 09:09 AM

I don't think that they are that heavy but I would beef up the rafters that are going to support the load. I think that my double wall top felt like about 200# me and my brother lifted mine off with ease.

jcfoote60 06-20-2006 11:02 PM

Dang this has been coming up so often I wish someone would find a scale and let us all know. For me, I have 2 double walls and a single wall and honesty I have lifted (along with my 16 year old son) these tops on and off and I have to say from my experience its not that big of difference! I really think the question should center around do you want the convenience of the the top down bolting of a single wall or is the bottom up bolting meeting your needs? if you don't want to deal with unfastening the side panels to get to your bolts and nuts for a doublewall or if you don't have the CST side panels or custom side panel installed then who cares? Regardless they are more than a one man operation to remove anyway. select which interior style you want, do you want top down installation and the double dome lights or is a double wall OK with bottom up and dome lights on the sides OK? As far as resale you might get a slight nod with a single wall but is it worth fabricating a double wall bed side to accomodate a singel wall bolt pattern and nut config? Needs to be your all but the bolt patterns are different.;

blessthess 06-21-2006 01:01 AM

I know the difference between a dbl wall and a single wall construction but I did not know that the blazers had both. How do you go about getting a single wall? Is that on specific years? Or is it a aftermarket thing? I need a top and if I have that option then I would like to know what and how to go about getting one. Thanks

jcfoote60 06-21-2006 07:43 AM

I've been told that GM started making single wall tops the last half of 1972 model run in preparation for the 2nd gen Blazers. Finding a single wall is obviously tougher because they just didn't make as many of them and the price will be higher. I got lucky, my 72 Blazer has one, the truck is a rust bucket donor but the top was in pretty good shape. Good luck, they are available but just gotta keep your eye out for one.

Tom Vogel 06-21-2006 10:17 AM

While doing the research for my Jimmy restoration, we weighed the top. The double wall with the hatch and all glass is right at 350lb. Its really not that heavy, just awkward to balance. By the way, Ive since picked up a nice single wall... if its lighter, int aint much.

RunTMCfan 06-21-2006 02:24 PM

I remember struggling a bit with my double wall top ten years ago. Myself and a buddy put it on and it was a pain in the rear. I just took my single wall off with a buddy and it was no sweat to carry.

My estimate:

Double wall = 300lb+
Single wall = 200lbs

LUV2XCLR8 06-23-2006 08:56 PM

It weighs 2-3 people ;)

vtblazer 06-23-2006 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blessthess
I know the difference between a dbl wall and a single wall construction but I did not know that the blazers had both. How do you go about getting a single wall? Is that on specific years? Or is it a aftermarket thing? I need a top and if I have that option then I would like to know what and how to go about getting one. Thanks

Just to let you know, the bolt pattern between the two tops is different.

LUV2XCLR8 06-23-2006 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtblazer
Just to let you know, the bolt pattern between the two tops is different.

But...................... If you have that super rare 72 dual pattern tub it don't matter :hm:

vtblazer 06-24-2006 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LUV2XCLR8
But...................... If you have that super rare 72 dual pattern tub it don't matter :hm:

Yep, that's a rare option for sure.

babyblueoval 07-22-2006 02:23 PM

A friend and I just loaded and unloaded on and off a trailer, 2 double wall tops 2 weekends ago. (they came with my truck:cool: ) Neither had rear hatches and one had glass in it and the other didn't. We had no problem picking either of them up and carrying them across uneven ground and going around a couple trees. They weren't light but they weren't that heavy either. I don't know how much the rear hatch adds but it can't be that much. It was probably easier to move the tops without the hatch though.

Jim

raggedjim 07-23-2006 10:53 AM

Ya'll must be some big ole boys, those tops ARE heavy...

babyblueoval 07-23-2006 12:29 PM

Jim
Come on now, there's some big boys in Kentucky too.

I'm a big boy (6'3" 240lbs) but my friend is probably 5'11" maybe 170lbs and he's from Kentucky.
They just didn't seem that hard to move around. :hmm:
We walked straight back off the trailer, although we did had to lift them over the fenders since my trailer is 6' wide and with the drip rails, the tops are a little wider than that. My trailer is also prety low so we didn't have a very big drop to step off of, but them we just walked to where they needed to go, maybe 30ft.
It didn't seem like that big of a deal at the time. Of course we weren't lifting them up to mount them on the truck either. That would've been a bit more work and then I might not be saying it was no problem. Someone else posted that the rear door and glass made them quite a bit heavier. I can't imagine that door weighing a lot but I know it would be heavier with it.

Jim