The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Run away, run far, far away from this eBay truck (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=689796)

68350 11-26-2015 02:44 PM

Run away, run far, far away from this eBay truck

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-C-...m=161898949926

Best I can tell, it is a c-40 and up cab. Frame has been cut. VIN looks like a 3/4 one. Just looks like a headache at any DMV.

Andy4639 11-26-2015 03:22 PM

Re: Run away, run far, far away from this eBay truck

Just another LWB truck cut up. People do them all the time on here and sale them. How they get it through the DMV is beyond me. :chevy:

68350 11-26-2015 03:24 PM

The part that most alarms me is the vin has been swapped or the title doesn't match the cab. Only way to have raised pod cab lights and small rear window would be c/40-c60 cab

Andy4639 11-26-2015 03:32 PM

How many DMV people know this about these trucks? None I bet. The only thing they know is it has to match the paper work. The truck it self doesn't matter.:chevy:

68350 11-26-2015 03:46 PM

Thats true. Just hope someone interested in it sees this post so they know what they're getting

chevy72blu 11-26-2015 04:21 PM

I have no affiliation with this sale, but the listing clearly states that the frame was cut and little/nothing about it is original. Why do you care?

68350 11-26-2015 04:28 PM

Because the listing doesn't say anything about the cab swap and possible VIN issues

jocko 11-26-2015 04:38 PM

3/4 VIN, 1/2 ton axles, who knows. But he does state clearly frame has been cut. Cab clearance lights could be had on C10-30, just has to be ordered (even though the lenses on this one are mounted backward). Am curious why you state C40+ cab possibly? VIN makes it pretty clear it's a K20 cab if that VIN is from the stamped metal tag. If from the SPID, then all bets are off. Could be:
3/4 ton k20 cut to swb and 1/2 ton axles swapped in (why, I don't know)
3/4 ton cab on K10 shortened frame (that's my assumption of what happened here)
SPID would help, as would actual VIN tag pic.
Either way, it's a franken truck and he's up front (enough) about it in my estimate. He's not pawning it off as a Cheyenne Super, so if one wanted a shortbed K10, and had a year correct bed to stick on it, perhaps a stepside, it could end up being a pretty nice truck without a lot of money spent in the long run. This is one way to get into a k10 shortie without too much $$. I doubt this truck will sell for a very high price, especially with that bed, but it's clean enough, it runs, and it's 4wd. Great start for someone that wants to take it from there.

68350 11-26-2015 05:21 PM

The only way to have a small rear window and the raised pod cab lights is from a big truck. The column is also a patch job lending support to my assumption it is from a big truck. This post was simply to make potential buyers aware that it has more modifications than just a cut down frame

Kennuck 11-26-2015 05:39 PM

I wouldn't say its being misrepresented, but it is somewhat of a franken truck. You're right on it being a big truck cab, you can see where the wheel wells bump up into the cab floor. This is the dead give away that its a big truck cab.
Low starting bid. I don't think a potential buyer would be expecting a cream puff with this one.

57taskforce 11-26-2015 05:55 PM

I've never messed with the big trucks before but that drivers floor is sure as heck different than any of the light duty cabs I've messed with. I'd bet on a big truck cab as well. I'd stay away from this one personally.

jocko 11-26-2015 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68350 (Post 7389944)
The only way to have a small rear window and the raised pod cab lights is from a big truck. The column is also a patch job lending support to my assumption it is from a big truck. This post was simply to make potential buyers aware that it has more modifications than just a cut down frame

HOLY COW! How did I miss the rear window? Ugh, I'm slippin... Excellent point, didn't even notice that. Thanks for splainin'.

special-K 11-27-2015 12:04 AM

I wouldn't want such a truck, but it can be titled and registered historic and no one would ever be inspecting the numbers in my state. Title work is done inside the DMV and it's all paper work. To register historic doesn't require inspection. No rust, except on that chassis that looks like it sat for 20 years, under the cab, and the floor that you could smack with a hammer and make a hole. Drive that cross country?. Better top off the leaking rear with dried out seals nd hope the calipers don't freeze up.

toolboxchev 11-27-2015 01:26 AM

Like the others have already noticed its a parts truck, most likely an old farm rig that used in the latest part of its life on a medium to large parcel.

Grumpy old man 11-27-2015 07:29 AM

Franken truck . many states still have dot inspections and many do not have any type of inspections I have bare cabs with INTACT vin plates that were issued titles/registrations and tags here in Tn and no one ever looked at anything or ever will . In a state with no dot inspection when did you ever hear of a dot employee checking anything on any vehicle past the top of their desk ? Never happens .Up until recently you could walk in one of the small dot offices here with bill of sale written in pencil on an envelope from joe baloney and they would issue you a title :chevy:

special-K 11-27-2015 08:22 AM

We swap cabs all day long on this site. How we handle VIN-plates is a subject not to be discussed here, but let's just say they are ways to deal with that. The laws are concerned with theft and as long as pieces to your puzzle are not from a stolen vehicle it is no more wrong than changing a fender. In the 1979 edition of the GM 47-72 10-30 parts book they describe how to deal with earlier model floor pan differences when installing a later design replacement cab that was available...use that area from damaged earlier cab.

If I wanted it, I'd buy it. Obviously, anything right or wrong with this truck is plain to see and anyone interested can make their decision knowing what they are getting into. It was a great observation to notice the cab is from a medium duty. Up to this point I didn't think that was a feasible swap, since the only pieces that are the same as a 10-30 are the back panel over the top down to the windshield posts and upper cowl (not even sure about upper cowl). The fender mounting is different and since the fenders and hood are completely different, I always thought that was too much to deal with. By the way the front outer floor panel at the kick panel is formed it leads me to believe this is a 40-60 cab. Obviously, at some point in the past, someone put a lot of work into this truck. It was probably pretty nice. So, it could have been possible either the roof or back panel was modified to create the odd combo of 69-72 top panel and 67/68 back panel. We had guys here some 10 or so years ago changing large windows to small. We've had others cut across the top behind the clearance lamps to add the pod/light area. The frame is post-72

LONGHAIR 11-27-2015 11:10 AM

The 10 bolt axles, NP 208 transfercase and plastic/aluminum master cylinder are dead give aways to later model parts.

dirtyjim 11-27-2015 11:34 AM

if it sold cheap enough it would make a fun trail rig, most of them in my area aren't titled or street legal anyway