The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Disc brake booster upgrade (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=851537)

duramaxguy 03-22-2024 07:58 PM

Disc brake booster upgrade

Hi all

I am putting a disc brake Dana 44 front under my 70 K20, replacing the original drum brake axle. I'm looking for advice of what brake booster to upgrade to that includes a proportioning valve to support the disc brakes.

Is there an aftermarket booster I should be looking at, or get one from a donor truck?

Thanks

jerry moss 03-22-2024 10:55 PM

Re: Disc brake booster upgrade

if you can find one from a donor truck that would be easiest, when i converted my 69 i had a 72 donor and swapped everything including the steel brake lines to the front end, booster, master, prop valve etc.

72c20customcamper 03-23-2024 09:33 AM

I bought the setup from a member Pickmup trucks . Very nice setup

72SB 03-23-2024 09:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I bought the CPP one for my 72 manual disc/drum conversion to power brakes. Plug and play.

Or look into Tough Stuff dual diaphragm booster for better engine clearance, especially if you have a BB. Get the matching PV for disc/drum from them also or but a combo kit if the offer one. Made in USA

My CPP

70STOVEBOLT 03-23-2024 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72SB (Post 9297955)
I bought the CPP one for my 72 manual disc/drum conversion to power brakes. Plug and play.

Or look into Tough Stuff dual diaphragm booster for better engine clearance, especially if you have a BB. Get the matching PV for disc/drum from them also or but a combo kit if the offer one. Made in USA

My CPP

That is a nice, clean looking engine bay.

jeffahart 03-25-2024 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duramaxguy (Post 9297865)
Hi all

I am putting a disc brake Dana 44 front under my 70 K20, replacing the original drum brake axle. I'm looking for advice of what brake booster to upgrade to that includes a proportioning valve to support the disc brakes.

Is there an aftermarket booster I should be looking at, or get one from a donor truck?

Thanks

Why does your booster need to be upgraded? If you already have power brakes, all you have to do is swap in the axle, pull the RPV out of the front reservoir. See how it stops. It will stop fine! Prop and booster won't give you anymore stopping power. The big issues will be front and rear bias and the small reservoir as it will lower as the disc pads wear. I never felt I got enough of a bump in stopping power when I moved from drum to disc. But my main goal was to move off the open knuckle/drum axle to a D60. I, later, installed a hydroboost off the same 86 diesel I got the axle. The hydro gave a significant and noticeable improvement in stopping power. :chevy:

j

old51sedan 03-25-2024 10:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 72SB (Post 9297955)

My CPP

I ended up with the dual diaphragm one for my setup so that I had enough room to install my air cleaner, it worked out fine for myself.

57taskforce 03-27-2024 12:54 AM

I much prefer hydroboost over vaccum boosters. That’s one of the best changes I’ve made to my 72 K20.