The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Move a gun safe? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=448891)

Jerry Jones 02-24-2011 02:41 AM

Move a gun safe?

I need to move an 1100# gun safe across town, anyone do this... suggestions? Equipment to rent...etc!

Brainchild 02-24-2011 03:33 AM

Re: Move a gun safe?

we used sheets of plywood on the floor to roll moms piano on, makes that much easier. Loading it is a different matter entirely.

A 12 pack and invite some BIG friends

79gmcc15 02-24-2011 03:41 AM

Yeah, pay someone else. lol :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

cdowns 02-24-2011 07:57 AM

i use my engine lift to move heavy stuff:uhmk:

k1rodeoboater 02-24-2011 07:58 AM

you can do it by yourself...but paying someone else is probably worth it. here are some tips.

1.) remove the door (it'll lighten up the safe considerably)

2.) get an appliance dolly and a couple of strong friends to move it (a motorized one would be best but hard to come by)

2a.) use sheets of plywood, pipes, and golfballs to roll it out

3.) get a moving truck with a motorized lift gate (you ain't gonna roll it up a ramp)

4.) make a plan beforehand as to how you're gonna move it out of the house, and have backups just in case

5.) a few extra pieces of plywood can protect the walls of your home to prevent costly repairs.

6.) If you're unsure or uneasy about doing it, hire someone else. In town rates shouldn't be that bad. Call appliance and piano places as well as movers.

Ironhorse 02-24-2011 08:24 AM

Jerry, is there anywhere in town that sells gun safes? Contact them and ask for a price to move it. Give them a bit of background about how far, any stairs, into garage, basement or etc. I had a local outfit move mine several years ago. Not as large, 750 lbs. empty and cost about $65-$70. Don't remember for sure. Worth every penny to me.

Shane 02-24-2011 09:40 AM

check the yellow pages in your area for "piano movers" ... they should be able to give you a quote so you can compare doing it yourself versus letting them do it.

vectorit 02-24-2011 11:16 AM

Hopefully you may have a gun safe shop in your area, if you do then give them a call and they will move it for a fee.

Or, if you know of a sporting goods/gun store in your area I'd drop in and ask them if they know of a gun safe moving company.

Stocker 02-24-2011 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k1rodeoboater (Post 4509752)
1.) remove the door (it'll lighten up the safe considerably)

.... and remove the guns etc from inside, for the same reason....

Sorry Jerry, I just couldn't help myself! :D

1100# is more weight than I would care to tackle, even with help. I like the idea of talking with professionals.

brad_man_72 02-24-2011 05:14 PM

call the guy!
you and your friends backs and fingers are worth more than saving a few bucks.

Tater 02-24-2011 06:20 PM

When i worked for a moving companies I used to move gun safes on the side.My price was $350 for 3 guys.More if stairs are involved or if it has to be pushed up a loading ramp.I always left the door on to move them.If you don't want to pay someone to do it you'll need an aplliance dolly with a kckback.The bigger the dolly the better.If your rolling it across a wood floor plywood works,but sheets of masonite work better

Slow Build 02-24-2011 07:23 PM

I called Hook Line & Sinker in Oakley and they gave me the name & number to a guy that does that locally. I'll send you a PM with that info.

dammitmitchell 02-24-2011 09:34 PM

id hire a pro..
call a gun shop or safe store and just pay them to do it.. if anthing happens it's their problem =-)

McC_65_91 02-24-2011 09:39 PM

same way you got it in but reversed :lol::lol:

sorry someone had to say it, but good luck, gun closet in my house isnt really a "gun closet" my dad built it, its a normal closet built into the wall thats hidden and has a lock soo ill never have that problem unless we obtain a LOT more guns

79gmcc15 02-25-2011 12:59 AM

i just have to ask...... it does open, right? cause i know a thread that can help. :lol:

Sillyoldman 02-25-2011 01:48 AM

They are not too hard to move. Although mine is not as heavy I found it easy enough to move. I rolled it accross the house and yard on 2" pvc pipe. Log over log style. I put a wool blanket on my trailer and tipped & loaded it with some help. There should be a bolt hole in the top. If so thats your anchor point to hoist it.

Jerry Jones 02-25-2011 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdowns (Post 4509750)
i use my engine lift to move heavy stuff:uhmk:

That is what I did to move my tool chest... worked great, but I didn't put that in my house.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stocker (Post 4510067)
.... and remove the guns etc from inside, for the same reason....

Sorry Jerry, I just couldn't help myself! :D

1100# is more weight than I would care to tackle, even with help. I like the idea of talking with professionals.

No guns. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slow Build (Post 4511011)
I called Hook Line & Sinker in Oakley and they gave me the name & number to a guy that does that locally. I'll send you a PM with that info.

Good man, thank you, I got your PM. Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by McC_65_91 (Post 4511356)
same way you got it in but reversed :lol::lol:

sorry someone had to say it, but good luck, gun closet in my house isnt really a "gun closet" my dad built it, its a normal closet built into the wall thats hidden and has a lock soo ill never have that problem unless we obtain a LOT more guns

I am not sure how it got to where it is, I was not there... it was delivered to El Jay's house, and now I need to get it to mine. I like the thought of a gun closet... but I like the fire rating of the safe too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 79gmcc15 (Post 4511929)
i just have to ask...... it does open, right? cause i know a thread that can help. :lol:

HaHaHa :lol::lol::lol: Ya it works perfectly.

OK the majority here said what I was hoping... I am going to look into hiring someone.

BTW, for anyone that has a safe... keep the key where no one will find it if they break into your home. This was El Jay's safe and the bad people broke into his house and found his key in the kitchen drawer and stole thousands of $$$ worth of firearms and goods.... Learn by my fallen cousins mistakes.

fine69 02-25-2011 08:33 PM

Go down to Home Depot. Always some guys hanging out there that need work. Take the guns out of it first.

Jerry Jones 02-25-2011 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fine69 (Post 4513535)
Go down to Home Depot. Always some guys hanging out there that need work. Take the guns out of it first.

Ya right Mike, I don't trust those guys to pull my weeds! :lol:

N2TRUX 02-25-2011 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Jones (Post 4513594)
Ya right Mike, I don't trust those guys to pull my weeds! :lol:

Those guys pull weeds just fine...:)

Jerry Jones 02-25-2011 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 4513738)
Those guys pull weeds just fine...:)

Agreed, I just don't want them casing my house while they are doing it.

Sillyoldman 02-25-2011 11:27 PM

I wish I had the the money to hire them. Those fellas are some hard arse workers. For now I have to look past them as I leave the parking lot. My hat is off to them. They will stand on a corner all day for an opportunity to feed their family. If anyone wants to hand money out their car window that's the place to do it, not freeway exits or intersections IMO.

Jerry Jones 02-26-2011 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sillyoldman (Post 4513897)
I wish I had the the money to hire them. Those fellas are some hard arse workers. For now I have to look past them as I leave the parking lot. My hat is off to them. They will stand on a corner all day for an opportunity to feed their family. If anyone wants to hand money out their car window that's the place to do it, not freeway exits or intersections IMO.

Don't get me wrong som, I agree. I just have a problem these days having people without a license to do buisness at my home doing work. There are outrageous amounts of breakins around these parts these days.

I just finished framing my 700 square foot addition 4th of July weekend about 10 years ago. If you know where I live you know it was HOT HOT HOT! I was doing a tear off of my old roof on the existing house so I could roof the house and addition. I realized we were in need of additional labor, I sent my Pop's (and El Jay to translate) to HomeDepot and had him fill his 9 passenger van with day laborers... I just don't know if I would do that today.

I have folks going through my trash every week for recycles, it is a different world out there.

Tater 02-26-2011 01:01 AM

Hiring day laborers to move a gun safe is a bad idea.There's alot of things that can go wrong.You definiteley want people who know what thy're doing.Call a local moving company.They're hurting pretty bad right now and will probably do it for pretty cheap.

OARNGESI 02-26-2011 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Jones (Post 4514109)
Don't get me wrong som, I agree. I just have a problem these days having people without a license to do buisness at my home doing work. There are outrageous amounts of breakins around these parts these days.Y

I just finished framing my 700 square foot addition 4th of July weekend about 10 years ago. If you know where I live you know it was HOT HOT HOT! I was doing a tear off of my old roof on the existing house so I could roof the house and addition. I realized we were in need of additional labor, I sent my Pop's (and El Jay to translate) to HomeDepot and had him fill his 9 passenger van with day laborers... I just don't know if I would do that today.

I have folks going through my trash every week for recycles, it is a different world out there.

you'd be supprised just because you pay a liscensed and bonded contractor to do your work doesn't mean he ain't stopping by homedepot first for some help I've known several that worked exactly like that
Posted via Mobile Device