The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Frame up exhaust? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=755196)

CG 01-19-2018 05:15 PM

Frame up exhaust?

So if you are doing a frame off build, have all the drivetrain installed, is it ok to have the exhaust installed before you drop the sheet metal on? Or does the body need to be on to get the best fitment? I want it tucked up tight .

Doug's68SS 01-19-2018 05:22 PM

Re: Frame up exhaust?

I am planning on doing mine while the body is off. the only thing I am not sure about is the tail pipes. I think the bed will need to be in place it get the correct fit out the back.

harpo231 01-19-2018 05:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...15163969736898

Did mine first

sick472 01-19-2018 05:52 PM

I will be doing mine last. With the exception of the noise levels during pre-street run times, I'd prefer to not have it in the way (it would have been a real buggar to install my wood bed with pipes running through). Not to mention...it's pretty cool driving it to the exhaust shop louder than sin (it will bring the kid out in me once again and surely the cops would let me off at 48 years old). It also helps contend with the neighbors dogs barking when I fire it up every now and again. I have a couple of stubby pipes to take the heat away from the exhaust mani's and frame until full pipes are installed.

If you are wanting it up tight more than normal, what's wrong with waiting to ensure you get it as tight as possible.

paul blair 01-19-2018 05:55 PM

Stan, Nice job, looking good!

harpo231 01-19-2018 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul blair (Post 8165212)
Stan, Nice job, looking good!

thanks !

hewittca 01-19-2018 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harpo231 (Post 8165222)
thanks !

That is super nice! I've been planning out an x-pipe setup but just couldn't figure a way to get it through the crossmember like that without a bunch of weird bends. Do you have any other photos of your setup? Also, any sound clips? I bet it sounds great!

harpo231 01-19-2018 08:59 PM

No thats it,, not runnin yet ,waitin on pro-flo and upholsterer

Steeveedee 01-19-2018 09:22 PM

Stan's pics remind me that when I go to replace the engine in my truck, I will be laying in the street, dodging doggee do that people leave in the gutter, and flows downstream when someone over-waters their lawn. :( #nasty

BoT, I like it tight to the frame, but for a BBC I'd use an H-pipe. I think it sounds better, though my current setup is true duals all the way out (side outlet after the rear tires). I'll also use Cadillac mufflers so that the exhaust is as quiet as it can be. I never liked loud exhaust, unless I uncorked it for racing, or to shut up the neighborhood dogs.

Example: I had rebuilt the engine in my Buick, but hadn't hooked up the exhaust to the headers. I was joking with my neighbor from across the street about how loud it was. He says to fire it up so he can hear it. There is a family that has about 6 dogs, as near as we can tell, based on the different voices. They were all yapping at something until I fired it up, and shot a few revs. It was dead quiet on the street for about half an hour! :)

special-K 01-20-2018 09:32 AM

I think about the same thing. Seems so much easier and convenient to make and install exhaust w/o body to have over and under access. But, I think it is safer to just wait and do with body on. After all, I'll be taking it to a top notch custom exhaust guy who spends his life building exhaust up underneath of vehicles from up underneath them. I haven't talked to the guy yet, but I am 1/2 expecting he would say he'd rather the body was in place.

Indyspecracer 01-20-2018 10:43 AM

I just installed my exhaust. I did a custom 2 in to 1, I prefer the sound. My cab is on the frame, but no bed. I will do the tail pipe once the bed is on. With a short bed, there isn’t much room behind the cab for the muffler and it will likely need to turn up just behind the cab to avoid contact with the trailing arms.

meenaggie 01-20-2018 01:30 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Much easier to get access to weld (even if you are just tacking) with the bed off. You will need the engine, trans, driveshaft, trailing arms (or rear suspension) and rear bumper installed. The rear bumper will give you the reference needed for the tailpipes. If you want to check clearance at full compression take the springs off the back. Helps to flip your trans mount upside down to gain clearance between the cab and trans mount. ECE crossmember already had the cut outs for the exhaust to pass thru. Couple of v-bands in key locations make it easier to pull off and finish welding on the bench. Mine is 2.5" mandrel bends, "H" pipe under trans tail piece, Black Widow 250 mufflers coming from a set of Gibson long tubes bolted to a LS6.

FirstOwner69 01-20-2018 01:32 PM

I installed a Heartthrob dual kit without the cab or box on the frame and didn't even have to tweak the tailpipes after the box was on.

fleetimus 01-23-2018 04:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Body off