The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project “Already Built” 68 Shortbed (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=752964)

jeh 12-23-2017 12:49 AM

Re: Project “Already Built” 68 Shortbed

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 8111991)
That's a nice looking pickup, what engine and transmission does it have in it and how is the rear end set up?

Thanks, it has a mild built small block, .30 over, a set of GM Performance vortec heads, comp cam, aluminum intake, Edelbrock carb, ceramic coated Hedman headers. The trans is a Th350, rear end is a 12 bolt posi but not sure of the ratio. I’ll investigate that this winter

jeh 12-23-2017 12:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the A/C control he had in it

Advanced Design 12-23-2017 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeh (Post 8111993)
Well I ran into a little issue today that I kind of was expecting. The previous owner installed a Vintage Air kit like you would use in a hot rod, more of a universal kit. I knew this was something I wanted to change when I bought the truck. So today I tore into it, he welded tabs in the opening to make it smaller left and right and cut it out bigger up and down. I’m going to have to cut it back out to the correct width to install the new factory style control panel but it will be to big on the top and bottom...... Keep in mind this thing is all painted and I don’t want to do any welding. I pondered it all day and may have an idea, I thought about ordering a piece of carbon fiber about 1/16” thick and making a nice little “bezel” that would cover the indented area that the ignition switch, heat-ac control, and cigarette lighter is in. Feel free to throw out any other ideas
By the way, I did order a complete Vintage Air Surefit kit for it this morning. Everything he installed is all new but I just don’t think I’d be happy with it

How much of a gap will there be top and bottom? The carbon fiber is a good idea. Try it and see how it looks. Also, would it be possible to use it as a bezel just around the hvac controller with just enough width to cover the top and bottom?

jeh 12-23-2017 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 8112085)
How much of a gap will there be top and bottom? The carbon fiber is a good idea. Try it and see how it looks. Also, would it be possible to use it as a bezel just around the hvac controller with just enough width to cover the top and bottom?

I thought about that also, just don’t know what I’d use.
There is very little space between the control panel to the ignition switch and the same towards the cig lighter

jeh 12-25-2017 10:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got a few Christmas goodies for the truck, a set of Fesler tail lights, and a set of the flush van side marker lights:metal: The wife says the Vintage Air kit I ordered Friday is a present also but I’m not sure about that.....

jeh 12-27-2017 10:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Today was about 19 degrees out so I figured it would be a good day to hang out in a warm garage. I removed the “universal” Vintage Air unit that the previous owner installed and started getting ready for the new kit I ordered. I also got the Fesler tail lights and the van marker lights installed....

jeh 12-27-2017 10:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Need to figure out how to post more than one picture :sumo:
Here’s the marker lights

69CST4x4SWB 12-28-2017 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeh (Post 8114456)
I got a few Christmas goodies for the truck, a set of Fesler tail lights, and a set of the flush van side marker lights:metal: The wife says the Vintage Air kit I ordered Friday is a present also but I’m not sure about that.....

Those all look awesome installed! The quality of them looks impressive.

jeh 12-28-2017 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72_GMC_Sierra_Grande (Post 8116033)
Those all look awesome installed! The quality of them looks impressive.

They are very nice lights, but I’ve had 2 sets on 2 different trucks and they have both required a little grinding and filing on the corners to get them to fit

mcbassin 01-04-2018 08:33 AM

Killer truck Jason! I'm looking forward to following along.

jeh 01-04-2018 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 8151537)
Killer truck Jason! I'm looking forward to following along.

Thanks Mike, I have a few more little things to do to it this winter and hopefully be ready to cruise it this spring!!!!

mud.man.rj 01-04-2018 10:54 PM

A "few" more things and it will be ...perfect. Beauty.
Mudman.

NoNeck 01-05-2018 06:16 PM

Nice truck Jason. I'm glad you found another one and I am subscribed.

POP

jeh 01-06-2018 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud.man.rj (Post 8152186)
A "few" more things and it will be ...perfect. Beauty.
Mudman.

Thanks mudman, just a few more I promise!!!!!
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoNeck (Post 8152778)
Nice truck Jason. I'm glad you found another one and I am subscribed.

POP

Thanks POP, I’m glad also that I found one. I don’t have time for a “project” but I like doing some personal touches to this one.

jeh 01-06-2018 08:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My Vintage Air kit came yesterday so I got a few things done with it. Got the condenser and dryer mounted today along with the tubing lines ran into the engine bay. I succeeded without removing the grille but I’ve got some sore knuckles!!!!

mud.man.rj 01-06-2018 09:15 PM

Haha, there is always a few more things with us, that's why trucks are cool, more ideas and a cooler truck.
Mudman.

jeh 01-06-2018 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud.man.rj (Post 8153683)
Haha, there is always a few more things with us, that's why trucks are cool, more ideas and a cooler truck.
Mudman.

Very true

808_67C10 01-06-2018 10:11 PM

Nice find... when I started reading I saw the first pic of the interior and saw the dash and I thought to myself, thats where I would start... then, I went on and that is exactly what you did... looks awesome! cant beat the classic look with the upgraded guages! Love it.

jeh 01-06-2018 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 808_67C10 (Post 8153746)
Nice find... when I started reading I saw the first pic of the interior and saw the dash and I thought to myself, thats where I would start... then, I went on and that is exactly what you did... looks awesome! cant beat the classic look with the upgraded guages! Love it.

Thanks Frank, I knew the first time I checked this truck out that I would change things inside first, I’m gaining!!! I see you’re from Hawaii, year round weather for cruising..... its 2 degrees here this evening

jeh 01-06-2018 10:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I installed the new heat-a/c control I got from Vintage Air and made a little trim piece to go around it to cover the previous owners cuts on the dash. I hate that the dash was cut but this didn’t turn out to bad. I found a sheet of 1/16” plastic that matches the texture on the dash bezel

69CST4x4SWB 01-07-2018 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeh (Post 8153788)
I installed the new heat-a/c control I got from Vintage Air and made a little trim piece to go around it to cover the previous owners cuts on the dash. I found a sheet of 1/16” plastic that matches the texture on the dash bezel

That's a clean looking fix Jason, damn near looks factory! Another option for down the road could be to fab something that closely matches the stereo bezel... Just a thought.

mud.man.rj 01-09-2018 12:18 AM

Or switch to the slidebar type stereo that looks totally stock but slides a bar over for new style, is I pod compatible too, was just looking at a few different types tonight for my 71.
Mudman.

jeh 01-09-2018 04:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I woke up this morning and thought today should be “Tear Down Tuesday”

CC69Rat 01-09-2018 04:29 PM

Wha? Interested to see where this goes.

builtbyKane 01-09-2018 08:18 PM

I'm guessing easier accessfor vintage air install