The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Gas cap not venting (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=580934)

71K20chevy 05-19-2013 08:08 PM

Gas cap not venting

I've got a vented gas cap, yet whenever I open it there's a good amount of pressure. Are they really supposed to build up a lot of pressure before they vent?

It's a '71 non-EEC system.

Thanks!

domeier 05-19-2013 08:50 PM

Re: Gas cap not venting

I don't know what the factory spec was, but my locking cap is vented.

Lattimer 05-19-2013 09:16 PM

In warmer weather with the tank about 3/4 full I get a little sigh of pressure when I open mine.

FWIW
I had a locking vented cap, but it leaked like crazy turning right. Bought a vented non-locking cap from Brothers and no more leak. Cap has only been on there a couple of weeks, but so far I'm happy.

cdowns 05-20-2013 05:11 AM

1971 from the factory were nonvented gascaps// the gastank vented thru the charcoal cannister thru the carb

sounds to me that somebody that doesnot understand the venting concept changed things

any pressure buildup means u either have a defective vented cap or a stock nonvented cap

search this forom this has been covered hundreds of times

Lattimer 05-20-2013 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdowns (Post 6080455)
1971 from the factory were nonvented gascaps// the gastank vented thru the charcoal cannister thru the carb

sounds to me that somebody that doesnot understand the venting concept changed things

any pressure buildup means u either have a defective vented cap or a stock nonvented cap

I think the C-20 and K-20 didn't change to EEC until later. I believe I have read that the 71-72 C/K-20 and C/K-30 still had a vented cap. Emissions changes usually effect the lighter trucks first and the heavier trucks get left alone for a year or so.

71K20chevy 05-20-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdowns (Post 6080455)

I've been through this with the EEC before, and my truck doesn't have ANY emissions junk on it. It's not a stock cap, it's the 67-70 vented cap from Classic Parts

And that is correct about 3/4 tons not having EEC.

cdowns 05-20-2013 08:43 AM

i'm sure nuttin has been changed in 45years
fact is you either have defective gascap or wrong gescap those are the reasons you will have pressure

change to a working vented cascap to solve problem

msgdsrf 05-20-2013 09:42 AM

There's a reason (many) gas caps state "caution when opening". Some pressure difference from outside is normal.

54blackhornet 05-20-2013 11:40 AM

I have a 71 GMC with Calf Emmission Crap, IE charcoal canister! I rebuilt the entire fuel system over the winter. New tank,sender, New non-vented cap from NAPA. Now when I crack the cap there is a lot of built up pressure in tank ? Any help in figuring this out would be appreciated ?....Thanks:metal:
Posted via Mobile Device

Southpa 05-20-2013 01:45 PM

I've been buying locking caps from the local Cdn Tire. They are not vented and on hot days you can smell fumes on occasion if the gasket is not seated properly. I usually buy a couple caps at a time because the gaskets rot, last maybe a year or two. Get the smallest drillbit you can find (I use 1/16") and make a hole, venting problem solved.