The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   A different approach to a LWB to SWB conversion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=667694)

65standard 04-26-2015 10:23 AM

Re: A different approach to a LWB to SWB conversion

1 Attachment(s)
More

65standard 04-26-2015 10:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
More to come later.

shawno72 04-26-2015 10:34 AM

Just blows my mind. Not quite sure how guy did the front edge of the bed

65standard 04-26-2015 10:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by shawno72 (Post 7148945)
Just blows my mind. Not quite sure how guy did the front edge of the bed

I just tipped (folded) the front edge of the side over the end plate. Very simple operation. Here is a picture of the operation in mid progress.

DonnieB 04-26-2015 10:59 AM

Awesome work! Can't wait to see it completely done!

65standard 04-26-2015 10:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And yes, this is the truck I rescued from the junkyard.

shawno72 04-26-2015 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65standard (Post 7148965)
I just tipped (folded) the front edge of the side over the end plate. Very simple operation. Here is a picture of the operation in mid progress.

All I can say is wow! It's gonna be funny how the tune will change once people see the actual scope of your skills ;)

too much stuff 04-26-2015 11:27 AM

A man on a mission and talented to boot. Good combination, looks great.

ls1nova71 04-26-2015 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65standard (Post 7148924)
If I didn't have a rear side marker light, I would have put the rear weld seam at the very rear corner. But I had to move it 2.5" forward to avoid filling a hole from the light. I will hammer form a new recessed hole for the light.

Please take some pics of this process! The rest of the work looks great, so I have no doubt you can do it, but I can't imagine how hard it must be to do this and make it look right.

65standard 04-26-2015 12:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pressing in the recess for the side marker light is easy once a make a hammer form for it. I will post pictures when I get to that point in the rescue job.

Here is a quick picture of the super RARE 1970 C20 SWB truck. Just kidding. This is just a test to see if the side still fits the floor pan. All perfect so far...

chopnchaneled 04-26-2015 12:39 PM

Simply Amazing !!! Do you build rocket ships to:)

shawno72 04-26-2015 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65standard (Post 7148965)

Ok one more question, how were you able to tip the bedside over without cracking the paint or showing any signs of damage? Looks so good and I can see myself doing this with a few pointers. Thank you

CaliCode 04-26-2015 01:20 PM

:jdp:Wow. This will create a higher demand for those really clean original patina lwb trucks out there...really opens up your options for a nice patina swb, incredible work!

65standard 04-26-2015 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawno72 (Post 7149096)
Ok one more question, how were you able to tip the bedside over without cracking the paint or showing any signs of damage? Looks so good and I can see myself doing this with a few pointers. Thank you

I use top secrete channel-lock pliers that I deburr and smooth out all sharp corners on. Then I slowly, in steps, start to tip over the metal a few degrees every half inch. Just keep working it a little at a time.

shawno72 04-26-2015 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65standard (Post 7149204)
I use top secrete channel-lock pliers that I deburr and smooth out all sharp corners on. Then I slowly, in steps, start to tip over the metal a few degrees every half inch. Just keep working it a little at a time.

Haha. Awesome. Thank you

tommys72 04-26-2015 05:39 PM

Looks awesome man! I'm amazed

Dieselwrencher 04-26-2015 06:05 PM

Hey, great work there Tony! I will say you have more patience than I to go slow to not stress that paint while completing the bends up front. Once you bent the fronts over, did you spot weld them back to the corner pieces? Also, that is a super clean truck to yank out of a junk yard. Nice score!

R.L. 04-26-2015 06:29 PM

That is a fine job.

65standard 04-26-2015 06:39 PM

Yes, I drilled some holes in the newly formed edge and plug welded it to the end plate. The inside panel is also plug welded front and back.

In Illinois, it is a rare find. Most all trucks of this era have rusted away years ago. It is an original Illinois farm truck. It didn't see any winter road use. It has just 80,109 miles, but those were done feet at a time on the farm. The original owner lives only 20 miles away. I can't wait to show him his old truck once I'm finished.

lolife99 04-26-2015 08:28 PM

Any chance you would sell this truck when you are done?

no1udknow 04-26-2015 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawno72 (Post 7148997)
All I can say is wow! It's gonna be funny how the tune will change once people see the actual scope of your skills ;)

man get out a bigger spoon to stir with... To,the OP, never questioned your skills. The fact that you were even talking about penn welds meant you were legit. Others offered their opinions, including myself, doesn't mean I question your skills. I think your approach to the bed side shortening is brilliant. I thought about doing my bed in pieces like you did, but i fell victim to my own doubts and went along with what others had already done. It came out fine, but your way would have saved me a lot of body work up front. anyways, good job, good luck, and keep the pictures coming.

Justin@EntropyRad 04-27-2015 09:21 AM

Just awesome...I bet you would have quite a few trucks lined up if you wanted to start doing this for others!

cooperhw 04-28-2015 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawno72 (Post 7148997)

I don't think anyone's "tune will change" ever. This man has some amazing skills. Super talented. Doing a fantastic job, and many (myself included) have learned something already from him and look forward to learning more.

I think the only thing "anyone" had to say negatively was frame cut method and that is just personal opinion. Nobody (myself included) ever thought his frame would fail or have a "moment".

But NOBODY has ever said this man is not extremely talented and I for one am glad he's here and sharing his "nuther way to skin a cat". This is how this hobby (and site) continues to grow and evolve by talented people doing amazing stuff and sharing with us (speaking for myself) hacks how THEY DO IT.

I guarantee if I ever have to cut another long bed down I will be following his lead on shortening those bedside, although he makes it look much easier than I am sure it is.

I can't hardly pound out a small dent that doesn't break the paint and look at that "tipping". AMAZING work.
Very cool work indeed.

ole dollor 04-28-2015 06:00 PM

that's some fine and interesting work you have done .... wish I had your metal and welding skills . hope it turns out like you wanted it to.....Kool.

70blackfish 04-28-2015 06:36 PM

nice work