The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Is A frame notch always NECESSARY? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=671311)

jackedup 05-21-2015 11:32 AM

Is A frame notch always NECESSARY?

I'm wanting to lower my 71 c10 with 4 in. lowering leaf springs and drop spindles in the front. My question is for anyone who has used the 4 in lowering leafs and if they had to notch the frame to create more clearance or did the springs just go in with no other mods needed. I always prefer not making too many mods so if in the future I want to restore it back to the original stance, it still looks unmolested with regard to the frame.

69moneypit 05-21-2015 12:10 PM

Re: Is A frame notch always NECESSARY?

I had my leafs dearched on a truck in the past around 4 inches . I didn't notch .

sKnNyPpY 05-21-2015 02:24 PM

I have a flip with 6+" of drop and no notch. I only occasionally bottom out. You will be fine without. You might need to move your rear/upper shock mount to keep them more upright.

leftybass209 05-21-2015 03:03 PM

Short answer: No.
Long answer: It's dependent on your particular case.

This is one area where the guy across the country really has no clue what you have, or what your requirements are. I've seen people measure out their drops and have anywhere from a 1/4" to 3/4" difference between distances from the bump stop to the axle tube. (I'm not saying that is the distance, just the difference in measurements) That tells me one very important thing; every truck is different!

Fortunately this is one of those instances where, if you like the 4" drop, do it. If then, it seems too close for comfort, you can add a notch later. I understand you don't want to make too many modifications, and chances are highly likely you won't need a notch on 4 inches unless your truck has led a really rough past life.

67 cst swb 05-21-2015 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leftybass209 (Post 7180793)
Short answer: No.
Long answer: It's dependent on your particular case.

This is one area where the guy across the country really has no clue what you have, or what your requirements are. I've seen people measure out their drops and have anywhere from a 1/4" to 3/4" difference between distances from the bump stop to the axle tube. (I'm not saying that is the distance, just the difference in measurements) That tells me one very important thing; every truck is different!

Fortunately this is one of those instances where, if you like the 4" drop, do it. If then, it seems too close for comfort, you can add a notch later. I understand you don't want to make too many modifications, and chances are highly likely you won't need a notch on 4 inches unless your truck has led a really rough past life.

Well said.

sKnNyPpY 05-21-2015 03:56 PM

I agree with the above and would only be concerned about the sag from the original front springs since the leafs will be brand new. Good time to inspect/install new ball joints as well.

First c10 05-21-2015 05:00 PM

I installed a notch kit a few months after I lowered my sons truck(with ECE Rear spring and hanger). That was because my son wanted to load 3- 250R motorcycles in it and it kept bottoming out. So I notched it and relocated the shocks and bump stops. Still hits when loaded sometimes but at least its not hitting all the time.
good luck