The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   NEWBIE Frame Twist (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=698080)

BMIDDLETON 02-15-2016 08:35 PM

NEWBIE Frame Twist

1 Attachment(s)
New Here started to restore a 74 c10 bed was rusted out to no repair so i ended up throwing out now with the bed off i noticed a 1 inch diffrence from left to right frame has no damage no rust no bends i have replaced shocks and leafs im wondering if its twist

I have searched the forums and i hear chevy lean but wasnt sure if this is it

Any body Fixed this issue ? Any Frame guys on here

Im thinking my options
1 take it to a frame shop
2 install adjustable lowering shackle use 2 inch on 1 side and 1 inch on good side

also what is factory height at rear of truck frame with bed off

THANKS

allengator 02-15-2016 08:40 PM

Re: NEWBIE Frame Twist

Have you carefully inspected the frame for breaks or cracks??

Jaysonb 02-15-2016 08:59 PM

I just ran into the same issue with my truck. A friend of mine has a frame rack, he had it straight in about a half hour, once we got it on the rack. My passenger side was about an inch low, from about the back of the cab, to the end of the frame. Now it's with in a 1/4" from side to side. If you try to fix it with shackles, you will fight getting everything to line back up, box to cab, bumper to box, ect...

BMIDDLETON 02-15-2016 09:33 PM

im at an 1 1/4 difference now i was hoping not to go frame route for fear of expense but looks like thats for the best hopefully i find a good shop that doesnt take advantage top of frame by cab support is pefectly level veres off at cnotch area

cheap 02-15-2016 11:37 PM

take that to a frame shop and have it straightened, there's no other way to do it effectively

kalbert 02-15-2016 11:48 PM

You really have to get that professionally straightened. Shouldn't be terribly expensive, but well worth it. Nothing will fit right as is, and it'll dog track and eat tires up something terrible. Double check you haven't got broken leafs on the driver side or mismatched springs left to right, but that looks like an easy job for a frame shop.

old Rusty C10 02-16-2016 10:36 AM

um did you see the tires on there the lower side looks like a smaller tire make sure the tires are the same size and remeasure

Front Range 02-16-2016 12:52 PM

Rear axle tube to frame angle doesn't look like it accounts for just an odd tire size, it almost looks like a mismatched spring. The cab mount support strut to cab also has a weird angle to it.

Weird, I'd be interested to know what it turns out to be.

65standard 02-16-2016 06:22 PM

Looks more like a suspension issue and not so much the frame

slotard 02-16-2016 08:43 PM

I'd be very surprised if there isn't a suspension issue, and that's the first thing I'd fix. If that levels it out I'd leave it at that, if it doesn't it's time for a frame shop. Probably not too expensive since they have easy access.

65standard 02-16-2016 09:51 PM

Look for a cracked leaf or mismatched springs.
It even looks like the cab is shimmed more on the left side

Gmc.guy 02-16-2016 10:30 PM

I would check the springs too. I was going to say tire size too. Try jacking up re frame so the rear sags. I have had springs that look good but with no weight the cracks show themselves or a half falls out