The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   lower radiator hose help needed (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=852155)

vardenafil 04-23-2024 12:39 PM

lower radiator hose help needed

i just dropped in a cold-case aluminum radiator in my 72 k20. (100% drop in by the way. fit is excellent) the truck has a 350sbc. the upper radiator hose which was a napa 8935 fits perfect. i will reuse that. the lower radiator hose im having issues trying to find something that fits. my problem is that i replaced the entire cooling system along with the radiator. my new water pump is slightly different shaped than the one that was originally on the truck. the new water pump seems angles down at a greater angle than the original. the radiator connection tube seems diffrent. the original lower radiator hose on the truck was a napa 7463 but it will no longer work do to the downward angle of the waterpump. i did some research here on the forums and came up with 15 or so different part numbers for hoses that may or may not work. any suggestions for a part # for a hose that might work?

54blackhornet 04-23-2024 01:35 PM

Re: lower radiator hose help needed

Put up a photo of your pump so we can try to figure which one will fit properly.

damnyankee36 04-23-2024 01:46 PM

Interesting about your comment on the angle of the new pump. I have never seen variations in pump designs other than short and long styles.

Could the corvette pumps have been different?

I had a choice of two lower hoses at AutoZone. One was definitely a no-go. The other fit fine. I don't believe the pump's hose had a different design.

Yes, please post a photo of the new pump and the old one if you can.

MikeB 04-23-2024 03:37 PM

If all else fails, what are everyone's' thoughts on a flex hose?

LS short box 04-23-2024 04:14 PM

Assuming you mean a SS flex hose like you see on street rods? I think they would work fine.
The local Oreillys lets me roam the stock room looking for radiator hoses. I either make a wire or cardboard pattern to guide me. Most of the time I have chop up a longer hose to make it work for me.

Loose Screw 04-23-2024 05:47 PM

Duralast Radiator Coolant Hose 81351

Worked on my Frankintruck 350, bottom hose!

vardenafil 04-23-2024 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54blackhornet (Post 9307681)
Put up a photo of your pump so we can try to figure which one will fit properly.

this is the pump that I bought:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...y4vM%2Fg%3D%3D

looking at it more closely I think you are right the angles arent different. for some reason the old hose wont line up and seems to be too long. the radiator outlets are in the same spot and have the same angle as the stock. so im not sure why nothing is lining up.

vardenafil 04-23-2024 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loose Screw (Post 9307749)
Duralast Radiator Coolant Hose 81351

Worked on my Frankintruck 350, bottom hose!

that hose sturdy enough that it will sit were you place it? If I curve it around the fan shroud or frame it will sit there and not flop around?

Loose Screw 04-23-2024 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vardenafil (Post 9307771)
that hose sturdy enough that it will sit were you place it? If I curve it around the fan shroud or frame it will sit there and not flop around?

I still need to get a Shroud for Frankintruck...and Yeah that hose is sturdy.
AutoZone will take it back if it doesn't work, mine would anyway...

guyryan100 04-23-2024 09:13 PM

You may be on a long search here. I've found that the location of your accessories and belts, and whether your engine is in the forward position make big differences. Also whether your radiator output is parallel to the garage floor or it angles up at 45 degrees is the other key variable. Finding a photo of someone with the identical setup helps a lot.

The generic hoses work ok unless you have to make a sharp bend - they don't do U turns very well.