The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Detailing (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Seat Fabric? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=730653)

MASTERBrian 02-17-2017 04:31 PM

Seat Fabric?

Any tips/suggestions on where to buy new fabric for the seats? I'm thinking of a red and tan/beige for the seats and probably a tweed, since that's what is in it now.

I have someone that said she'd sew it all up for me for a very fair price.

Also, what about the foam for the seats? The bottom cushion appears to be 1", but I'm thinking of going a little more plush....any ideas there?

mrtoni 02-17-2017 07:34 PM

Re: Seat Fabric?

SMS in Oregon. What year? If it's mid 70s red tan plaid I might be able to help. Matt

MASTERBrian 02-17-2017 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrtoni (Post 7861946)
SMS in Oregon. What year? If it's mid 70s red tan plaid I might be able to help. Matt

1960. I'll take a look. Thanks

BossHogg69 02-17-2017 08:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
x2 for SMS - they just made me a custom 'Highlander' plaid, but in 1965 Chevy Bel Air colors for my 1965 Bel Air station wagon. I'm using the factory '65 aqua Madrid vinyl along with it.

https://www.smsautofabrics.com/

MASTERBrian 02-18-2017 12:50 PM

There is supposedly a very large foam manufacturer local to me that sells globally. If I check them out, how thick would you go on the bottom and on the backs?

BossHogg69 02-18-2017 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MASTERBrian (Post 7862534)
There is supposedly a very large foam manufacturer local to me that sells globally. If I check them out, how thick would you go on the bottom and on the backs?

Depends on how tall you are and if you have a tilt wheel...

MASTERBrian 02-18-2017 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossHogg69 (Post 7862555)
Depends on how tall you are and if you have a tilt wheel...

I'm 6'2" my wife is 5'6"(if I let her drive) and no tilt.

BR3W CITY 02-18-2017 08:03 PM

DLT Upholstery supply is the place I usually use. They used to have a location nearby so i could physically fondle all the materials haha.

Yourautotrim . com is also pretty solid. I used them for all my Tweed in my minitrucking years. (before I started muscle truckin haha)

MASTERBrian 02-20-2017 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BR3W CITY (Post 7862811)
Yourautotrim . com is also pretty solid. I used them for all my Tweed in my minitrucking years. (before I started muscle truckin haha)

What does that mean, I don't want minitruck interior I'm past that stage of life!!

With that out of the way....

Tweed is what appears to have come in it from factory, which is why I was looking at it. Not a show truck, I just want a simple, somewhat period specific looking interior.

We actually went to fabric store and found some interior/exterior canvas made by Solarium. It has a nice feel and I think it'll make a nice, friendly cover for now, but I don't want to seem cheesy. Most of our use will be running the kids to the pool, running errands around town, maybe trips to the lake, etc. It has a similar look to what's in there now, but it's canvas vs tweed.

We don't want leather, pleather, vinyl, etc....thoughts?? Has anyone used something similar?

BR3W CITY 02-22-2017 12:17 AM

There are a few types of tweeds out there, and the quality of the material will drastically change the feel. Some tweeds are very thin like a cheap tote bag. Those flex great for doing molded interior covering, but would never last in a seat or armrest.

The heavy mil thickness tweed is much heftier. Acts much more like a canvas, more firm, far more wear resistant.

68c10airstream 02-24-2017 11:18 PM

I purchased mohair for a turn of the century piece of furniture. Tried a local vendor but cost were terrible, so i looked into period correct auto vendors and used "Lebaron and Bonney". We did consider tweed and it was our second choice after mohair. Had samples sent to us and the quality was fantastic.

When the upholsterer was done he asked where we got the mohair and how much. At $30.00 per yard he wanted the vendor because he said it was the best mohair he ever worked with and the last yardage he bought was twice the cost. That was 1981!!