The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   change my own windshield? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=809776)

phlegm 07-28-2020 08:41 AM

change my own windshield?

Hi, how hard is it to change my own windshield glass (71 C10)? I have called Safelite but have a feeling its going to be pricey. I can get the glass in from summit or jeggs, both with great reviews. but not sure if its something I want to tackle. Gonna find videos on it at some point but thought i would ask here first.

truckster 07-28-2020 08:49 AM

Re: change my own windshield?

You can do it, although it would be much easier with a helper or two. A new gasket makes things much simpler - the Precision gaskets seem to be the best. If you have trim make sure you get the gasket for the right year - there's a difference in trim depth.

Put the gasket onto the windshield and wrap a piece of 1/4" braided nylon rope into the pinchweld slot all around the gasket - it should cross at the top. Next comes the trim - put it in and use some masking tape to hold it in place.

Now you're ready to put in the windshield. This is where the helpers come in, because you're going to start installing the windshield from the top. It's one of only two I know of that are best done this way - the other was the old Jeep Wagoneer. You want to make sure you get those top corners in, and just pull the rope gently while your helpers push the glass against the pinchweld. Glass cleaner works well as a lubricant, and it's much easier to clean up than soapy water.

phlegm 07-28-2020 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckster (Post 8783110)
You can do it, although it would be much easier with a helper or two. A new gasket makes things much simpler - the Precision gaskets seem to be the best. If you have trim make sure you get the gasket for the right year - there's a difference in trim depth.

Put the gasket onto the windshield and wrap a piece of 1/4" braided nylon rope into the pinchweld slot all around the gasket - it should cross at the top. Next comes the trim - put it in and use some masking tape to hold it in place.

Now you're ready to put in the windshield. This is where the helpers come in, because you're going to start installing the windshield from the top. It's one of only two I know of that are best done this way - the other was the old Jeep Wagoneer. You want to make sure you get those top corners in, and just pull the rope gently while your helpers push the glass against the pinchweld. Glass cleaner works well as a lubricant, and it's much easier to clean up than soapy water.

OK, so I found a fairly detailed LMC video on it, showed trim and all. But as always the internet sometimes isnt for real and I like hearing from real world experience. It sounds like its not rocket science, just like everything else... take your time and do it right?

tdangle 07-28-2020 10:08 AM

I did it by myself. Don't recommend it. Get at least 1 helper, 2 might be even better. Yes it is doable. Just watch a couple of videos and take your time.

jayoldschool 07-28-2020 10:12 AM

Precision has videos on doing your exact windshield.

72c20customcamper 07-28-2020 10:22 AM

Let the rubber sit in the sun for a while makes it easier to work with . We used silicone spray as lube. Just wipes off with a hand cleaning wipe.

LockDoc 07-28-2020 10:22 AM

-
If you have never done it before I would recommend at least 3 people - 2 on the outside and one 1 on the inside.

LockDoc

tdangle 07-28-2020 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 8783152)
-
If you have never done it before I would recommend at least 3 people - 2 on the outside and one 1 on the inside.

LockDoc

I second this

phlegm 07-28-2020 10:38 AM

So safelite is quoting me 437.65, installed.

Summit/Jeggs windshield and prec. gasket is 326.34 shipped. For 100.00 getting someone else to be responsible for it and get warranty on the work seems like a decent deal.... thoughts?

General23cmp 07-28-2020 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckster (Post 8783110)

Most installs of this I’ve seen start on bottom. Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

sick472 07-28-2020 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 8783152)
-

LockDoc

3 people for sure, especially if you have the trim! I had a local glass company in to do mine. One guy "knew it all" and the other was green with respect to our trucks. It took them 5 hours total to do the front and rear slider, all with the trim. And, they broke the first windshield and had to put in and take out the rear 4 times to get it close to right.

They started the rope pulls at the bottom, but I convinced them to start at the top for the rear glass as they were having trouble with the trim popping out at the top corners...that seemed to help, but the front glass was started at the bottom. The outside looks good, but the inside at the top corners has some gaps...starting at the top might of helped this...IDK.

They only charged me $216...they supplied the front glass and I supplied the rear slider, Precision gaskets, and OEM trim.

Jim Boy 07-28-2020 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phlegm (Post 8783161)
So safelite is quoting me 437.65, installed.

Summit/Jeggs windshield and prec. gasket is 326.34 shipped. For 100.00 getting someone else to be responsible for it and get warranty on the work seems like a decent deal.... thoughts?

Having a beer on a patio while two or three other guys sweat it out sounds just about right to me. Money well spent. Save your skills for something else. Have a good one eh.

tdangle 07-28-2020 10:59 AM

For only a $100 more, have someone else do it. Just make sure the warranty their work and are responsible for any damage, such as breaking the windshield. In writing!

gmc684x4 07-28-2020 11:11 AM

Are you in a larger area that seems like a high price to me

I picked up a new winsheild for my 72 from the glass wholesaler for 80 bucks

I got glass for a 08 van 92 c1500 00 Corolla and 72 k10 for 326 cad
Local glass shop quoted 500 for install new winsheild in corolla

phlegm 07-28-2020 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmc684x4 (Post 8783181)

Not a larger area, but I am only looking at parts houses and safelite. I can look for glass wholesellers? havent talked to them before because I have never thought to replace them myself.

ThreeQuarter 07-28-2020 12:24 PM

My wife and I installed the back window and the windshield of my ‘68, with stainless trim. It was my first fixed glass installation. The back window went fine and the windshield took three tries to get it right. Haven’t followed up with sealer In the corners yet, as is recommended. I bought Precision gaskets and followed the Precision installation video. I found that using my fingers to work the gasket was better than using the ball-end tool.

notsolo 07-28-2020 01:14 PM

$5 Dollar set of nylon tools from harbor freight helps, if you have the short trim...keeping it in the groove is challenging...tape helps some.......Spray bottle with soapy water, walk away if you get frustrated, ...1 min, it's impossible the next min, it's done....usually my wife comes out and says what seems to be the problem....it magically drops in place.

weq92f 07-28-2020 01:15 PM

I hired a professional outfit. They sent an older fellow who had 20 years experience including classics and the stainless trim.

He struggled BIG TIME with my '67 with the short trim ( 71-72 style stainless trim ). It took him all afternoon to get it installed and I ended up helping him hold pressure on the glass to get the job done.

The trim was the main problem as it kept popping out when the glass was nearly installed so he would have to start over.

Hth,

-klb

phlegm 07-28-2020 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notsolo (Post 8783242)
....usually my wife comes out and says what seems to be the problem....it magically drops in place.

I love this!

Portland68 07-28-2020 01:34 PM

I paid I think $230 installed for my 72 without trip and $250 installed for my dads 69 with trim - $400+ seems like a gouge I’d call around

LockDoc 07-28-2020 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmc684x4 (Post 8783181)

I pay $90- $100 for my tinted & shaded windshields and install them myself. I have done 6 or 7 of them, with and without trim. I need to put one in the Cheyenne Super cab in the next week or so and it has trim. I also need to put one in the '68 Chevy CST and it has trim also. Sometimes I use a new gasket or if I have a used one in good shape I will use it. I haven't broke one yet. (Knocks on wood.....)... :)

LockDoc

truckster 07-28-2020 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by General23cmp (Post 8783163)
Most installs of this I’ve seen start on bottom. Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Doing the top first puts the severe angles in first, then the rounded bottom corners are easy.

But if you can get it installed for $100 more, I'd go that route, because they assume the liability. Look for someone that has experience in classic vehicles - most Safelite installers don't.

phlegm 07-28-2020 02:34 PM

so 335 plus tax from another guy, He said it would be 235 + but since its got the steel trim he charges an extra hundo! :) I like him, hes honest

ThreeQuarter 07-28-2020 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckster (Post 8783268)
But if you can get it installed for $100 more, I'd go that route, because they assume the liability. Look for someone that has experience in classic vehicles - most Safelite installers don't.

I think it’s worth pointing out that there are quite a few posts on this board telling stories about professional windshield installers who just can’t seem to get it right no matter how hard they try. Several members have just walked away from the pros and found another installer or taken matters into their own hands. Even though you’ve transferred the obligation to a 3rd party by hiring a pro, this doesn’t ensure success.

phlegm 07-28-2020 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThreeQuarter (Post 8783294)
I think it’s worth pointing out that there are quite a few posts on this board telling stories about professional windshield installers who just can’t seem to get it right no matter how hard they try. Several members have just walked away from the pros and found another installer or taken matters into their own hands. Even though you’ve transferred the obligation to a 3rd party by hiring a pro, this doesn’t ensure success.

Yep I feel better with this guy, I asked a few folks on a local text and he is the guy who has been around and knows his stuff. When I called him back we laughed about how every 8th trim piece he puts in goes like butter so the 100.00 charge for all installs spreads out his time. I felt good about the convo. certainly better than using the big chain.

Thanks all!