The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Welcome Area (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Back after 32 years! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=814515)

JC76 11-16-2020 02:08 PM

Back after 32 years!

2 Attachment(s)
I built this 1976 pickup 35 years ago and sold it to a relative 32 years ago. Now it is back in my possession. It has been in storage for the last 25 years.

Most of the work I did myself. Lowered it with a kit (springs, hangers etc.), dyed the interior, filled in all of holes from trim, made rear bumper and did paint and stripes. This was one of the last cars I did when I restored and painted cars for a living. Haven't done much of that kind of work since.

Photos are how it looked back when it was first built. Still looks about the same. The wheels are a bit rusty. Tires are shot. Before it was stored the 350 small block was rebuilt. It is an automatic with full power and air.

Trying to decide exactly what to do with it as far as updates. For sure it will get bigger wheels. Comments and tips are welcome. Looking forward to working on this old project.

cwcarpenter98 11-16-2020 04:31 PM

Re: Back after 32 years!

Welcome! Since it looks about the same, my suggestion would be to play with the suspension some and make it drive really well

The Rocknrod 11-16-2020 04:39 PM

Brings back memories.

Southcity 11-16-2020 05:47 PM

Congrats on getting your truck back, it appears it was in good care while away. I personally love the current look of your truck and can pretty much guarantee you won't see another on the road, at a show or anywhere. Hat's off to you for doing a great job 35 years ago! I'm not sure how drivable it is in it's current setup but would be great to run it as is for a while.

JC76 11-16-2020 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8836628)
Welcome! Since it looks about the same, my suggestion would be to play with the suspension some and make it drive really well

Thanks. Right along the lines of what I was thinking. I was thinking maybe the Ridetech StreetGRIP system.

JC76 11-18-2020 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southcity (Post 8836658)
Congrats on getting your truck back, it appears it was in good care while away. I personally love the current look of your truck and can pretty much guarantee you won't see another on the road, at a show or anywhere. Hat's off to you for doing a great job 35 years ago! I'm not sure how drivable it is in it's current setup but would be great to run it as is for a while.

Thanks. It is in storage again, but closer to me. I know it starts. The tail pipe is dragging on the ground. Since I can't drive on the tires it makes sense to do new wheels and tires first.

notsolo 11-18-2020 01:33 PM

Nice to have her back!....if you change the chrome wheels you may want to consider something different for the front bumper, since it's the only other chrome bit on the truck....maybe work with some photo shop ideas....great looking truck.

JC76 11-18-2020 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notsolo (Post 8837535)
Nice to have her back!....if you change the chrome wheels you may want to consider something different for the front bumper, since it's the only other chrome bit on the truck....maybe work with some photo shop ideas....great looking truck.

Good point on the bumper. Actually it was painted white white before I got the truck back. It looks so big even in white. I may try to thin it down or build something.

montsb 11-26-2020 05:36 AM

I love the paint scheme! I always enjoyed the look of Weld Drag Stars on those years of trucks... a little old school but I never got tired of that look. Especially the wider/deeper ones if they had big and littles on them lol.
Also, I’d like to tip my hat to the quality of work you must have done if it has held up so nice after all those years!
As For the front bumper, that was a good point. I believe I have seen or I am thinking... shave it down, snug it up and do a bolt less look. Or maybe a front roll pan? Those bumpers were always robust in appearance. Could be a fun project that would really change the look of the front.
Glad you got it back and thanks for posting!

JC76 11-27-2020 12:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by montsb (Post 8841014)
I love the paint scheme! I always enjoyed the look of Weld Drag Stars on those years of trucks... a little old school but I never got tired of that look. Especially the wider/deeper ones if they had big and littles on them lol.
Also, I’d like to tip my hat to the quality of work you must have done if it has held up so nice after all those years!
As For the front bumper, that was a good point. I believe I have seen or I am thinking... shave it down, snug it up and do a bolt less look. Or maybe a front roll pan? Those bumpers were always robust in appearance. Could be a fun project that would really change the look of the front.
Glad you got it back and thanks for posting!

Thank you for the compliment on the paint work! It can be hard to be objective on your own work because you look at it so long. Here are new photos when we hauled it a few weeks ago. Only thing that got changed is the front end look. I will probably go back more to the way I had it with a stock grill.

special-K 11-29-2020 01:27 PM

That's a cool retro truck as it is. I'd look for some era correct wheels... Convo Pros, Drag Stars, Welds of some sort. That bumper is asking to be painted silver grey. I really like the job you did on the rear one. Maybe something like that. But grey before white is my vote.

'63GENIII 11-30-2020 12:36 AM

Cant believe that's 35 year old paint! You sure knew your way around body and paint to have it last that long and look as new as it does!

Glad you got her back and looking forward to the 2nd go round!

gulfcoast66 12-28-2020 11:19 AM

:hi::welcome2: That's Cool Looking Square Body. Still Looks Good after 30 Years...

PhilaTruck 12-28-2020 01:26 PM

Convo pros are a great choice, sweet lookin wheels

PhilaTruck 12-28-2020 01:33 PM

Are those 245s on front? I have 8” fronts w 245s w a 4”drop. They look good. Love the paint, captured a screenshot for reference when I paint mine. Beautiful truck, have fun w round 2!

Greasey Harley 01-02-2021 04:24 PM

I'm seriously diggin' on that rear bumper!!
Nice truck.
-Russ

JC76 01-02-2021 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '63GENIII (Post 8842637)
Cant believe that's 35 year old paint! You sure knew your way around body and paint to have it last that long and look as new as it does!

Glad you got her back and looking forward to the 2nd go round!

Honestly, I am very surprised the paint isn't all checked and cracked. (Although there is a little on the white areas). Most of my work started cracking after so many years. This one survived because I did not clear it. So the the buildup of the lacquer is less than most custom paint jobs from that era. It also helped that it was stored very well.

JC76 01-02-2021 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilaTruck (Post 8855603)
Are those 245s on front? I have 8” fronts w 245s w a 4”drop. They look good. Love the paint, captured a screenshot for reference when I paint mine. Beautiful truck, have fun w round 2!

Fronts are 235/60/15
Rears 275/60/15

kev2809 01-02-2021 09:59 PM

ha! thats a cool story, and welcome!