The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Sensitive Steering (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=735940)

BigRed63 04-20-2017 08:02 AM

Sensitive Steering

I have a 63 C10 and the previous owner added a few mods from an 84 Silverado, one being the power steering. Ever since I've had it the steering is very sensitive, not sloppy but very easy to turn... too easy. It's not a big deal at low speeds but when I get up to 50 or higher it feels like I could easily over correct. The steering box had a leak so I have replaced it but that didn't help, next I replaced the pump since it was suggested that maybe its gone bad and staying wide open at high speeds, but it hasn't seemed to help. Does anyone have any other suggestions on what I could do to get more resistance on my steering?

PGSigns 04-20-2017 08:06 AM

Re: Sensitive Steering

What does the alignment look like. If it has very little caster it will drive like you describe. There is a caster mos thread in the suspension section. I have done it on my 66, I made a 5/8" change in the lower arm and had it aligned with 4 1/2 degrees of caster and it really drives good at speed.
Jimmy

BigRed63 04-20-2017 09:05 AM

Thank you, that seems obvious now that you said it :dohh:

cg285 04-20-2017 12:44 PM

imo the alignment would have to be severely wrong. first thing i would check is the over center adjustment on the gear box. i have fixed MANY vehicles with this problem - usually due to some well meaning uneducated person playing with the adjustment. this adjustment can ONLY be made (correctly) with the gear box disconnected and measured with an inch # torque wrench
note: this is for the over correct complaint. easy steering might be the nature. there are 2 different gear boxes that fit that. one being easier to turn

BigRed63 04-20-2017 01:13 PM

I just replaced the gearbox last month, so I wouldn't expect there to be any need for making adjustments there.

luvbowties 04-21-2017 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRed63 (Post 7921011)
I just replaced the gearbox last month, so I wouldn't expect there to be any need for making adjustments there.

As cg285 said, there are 2 diff. steering boxes: one with approx. 31/2 turns, lock to lock; and another with about 41/4 turns. The 31/2-turn box gives better, tighter 'road feel'--the one you want. Of course as already said, more positive caster helps greatly too.
Sam

Tennypicou1 04-21-2017 05:27 PM

Does it still have the original steering wheel on it? I have power steering and it felt the same way until I changed the steering wheel to a smaller one. Feels 100% better.

franken 04-21-2017 09:48 PM

Toe set wrong tend to make a vehicle dart right or left.
Caster off and the steering wheel doesn't return to center right (make a turn and let go of the wheel).
Old stuff has overly powerful power steering, and its not rack and pinion like new stuff. There are Cherokee conversions and maybe swapping the fitting/check valve on the pressure side of the pump to get more feel.

BigRed63 04-21-2017 11:50 PM

I do still have the original steering wheel, didn't think that would make that much of a difference.

Backpayne 04-22-2017 09:02 AM

Oh man, the large steering wheel with power steering could definitely contribute to this. I have manual steering and the large original steering is sensitive enough; I couldn't imagine it with p/s.

Mackie 04-23-2017 03:53 PM

My 63 is "darty" since the PS upgrade. A front anti-sway bar helped some. I've had it explained to me that the stock geometry and alignment makes for easy manual steering by small caster angle. I bought tubular upper control arms which add caster and will ask the alignment shop to set it at about 6 deg.
The trick will be to find a shop that does alignment old school and not just by computer specs.