The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Felpro One piece oil pan gasket sbc (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=795151)

chewychevy67 10-18-2019 11:03 AM

Felpro One piece oil pan gasket sbc

I'm sure quite a few ppl here have used these. I put mine on and didn't use any gasket sealer anywhere on it as directed. Should remove it and add a dab to the corners in the front and the back? No oil in it yet so now's the time to do it. Can I reuse the same gasket? Thanks in advance

Rickysnickers 10-18-2019 11:06 AM

Re: Felpro One piece oil pan gasket sbc

If it's one of the blue ones, then I would add some. I do not know if you can use the gasket or not. I put one on my truck and it leaked. Replaced it with a new one and sealer, even though the direction say to install it dry. It didn't leak after that.

chewychevy67 10-18-2019 11:09 AM

It is a blue one. That's what I've been reading more of even though the directions say not too. Thanks

truckster 10-18-2019 11:20 AM

I use a dab of RTV in the corners.

chewychevy67 10-18-2019 11:25 AM

Did you dab the block and pan sides or just the block side?

weq92f 10-18-2019 11:50 AM

These gaskets are designed to be reused as long as there are no obvious damaged portions. Note whether your gasket has the metal sleeves at the bolt holes to prevent crushing of the gasket.

I used a dab of silicone at transition points only at the corners but I don't think this was necessary ( BBC ).

Careful with the torque...as it's not as much as with a factory cork gasket due to the thickness of the Fel-Pro unit. If you have the metal sleeves you are less likely to have an issue here. Mine were 60 inch/lbs ( only 5 ft/lbs ) for main pan bolts.

Hth,

-klb

chewychevy67 10-18-2019 11:52 AM

My instructions had 8lbs for the inner and 18 for the 4 larger outer ones. Not sure about the metal sleves

weq92f 10-18-2019 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chewychevy67 (Post 8611885)
My instructions had 8lbs for the inner and 18 for the 4 larger outer ones. Not sure about the metal sleves

You got the instructions eh? One of the lucky ones... Fel-Pro must be upping their quality control game maybe then...I did not and so had to search around for my good torque numbers.

My into-the-timing-cover bolts were 100 inch/lbs so that kinda jives with what you report too.

Yeah some models of the gasket have the metal to help prevent those enthusiasts that did NOT receive the instructions from crushing the d@mn thing!

-klb

Tom 10-18-2019 04:03 PM

Always use a bit of RTV...it won't hurt anything.

truckster 10-18-2019 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chewychevy67 (Post 8611873)
Did you dab the block and pan sides or just the block side?

I just do the block side.

chewychevy67 10-20-2019 12:05 AM

Ok. I'm going to remove my pan tomorrow and put some rtv on the corners. Better safe than sorry. Thanks guys

greasemonkey 10-20-2019 03:28 PM

I just installed one, and their instructions say to install it dry...then they say to use sealer at the corners. I used sealer on the block side only in the corners and have had success in the past so hopefully it'll work this time too.

chewychevy67 10-22-2019 03:47 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I just finished. I believe I have the correct newer style gasket. Is this normal how high it sits in the front till its bolted down? It seemed to torque down fine without binding.

chewychevy67 10-22-2019 07:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pictures of the instructions for those in the future who don't get them

YoungPup1977 10-23-2019 09:48 AM

Do you know if the oil pump pickup is not hitting the oil pan, how did you check this. Maybe that's why the oil pan didn't sit down on the gasket

chewychevy67 10-23-2019 09:52 AM

Oil pump is fine. I've measured it over 6 times. It sits down in the back like it should. I know there are 2 different styles of the gasket in the front area. That's why I measured the front. It seems I do have the correct one and my pan is a gm one. If it leaks I'll get a new pan and gasket I guess.

YoungPup1977 10-23-2019 11:03 AM

How did you measure the oil pump pickup. I have the same type of issue. Thanks

truckster 10-23-2019 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YoungPup1977 (Post 8614715)
How did you measure the oil pump pickup. I have the same type of issue. Thanks

You can use a straight edge and a tape measure. Or a ball of Play-doh works well.

YoungPup1977 10-23-2019 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chewychevy67 (Post 8614669)
Oil pump is fine. I've measured it over 6 times. It sits down in the back like it should. I know there are 2 different styles of the gasket in the front area. That's why I measured the front. It seems I do have the correct one and my pan is a gm one. If it leaks I'll get a new pan and gasket I guess.

How did you measure your oil pump pickup ? Thanks

67ranchhand 10-23-2019 09:41 PM

There are also 2 sizes of oil pans too. Was this the pan you took off the engine or is it a different one? The older pans were a little shallower at the front seal. I think 1967 was the cut off date for these pans. The later pans were a little deeper at the front seal. ( I don’t remember the measurements right now) But the gasket for this pan is a little thicker in the front. Might just be your issue. Good luck!

chewychevy67 10-25-2019 05:50 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is how to determine the difference between the two pans. I measured the depth of the pan. Then with the gasket on the block i took that measurement ans subtracted 3/8" off. That was my pick-ups lowest point. Then I put some grease on the lowest point and put the pan on by hand ( the pan sat all the way down in the rear) and it didn't make a grease mark on the pan so that was good. I can also take a scope in the oil drain and see that it's not touching.

chewychevy67 05-08-2020 01:39 PM

I'm still curious to know if anyone else has found this gasket the same in the front?

cadillac_al 05-09-2020 08:35 AM

Do you know what year your oil pan is for sure? It looks like it measures 2 3/8 but the way the pan doesn't lay on the gasket it looks like the older pan. This would be a good excuse to buy a nice Milodon oil pan.

chewychevy67 05-09-2020 08:55 AM

I don't know for absolute sure but the engine was never overhauled ( at least machined) before I did it and it all appeared to be original. But the measurement says this is a newer pan. That's what gets me. I would hate to have to take this out for this gasket after installing. I can't find anything on the internet about the pan sitting like this either.

chewychevy67 05-09-2020 08:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Summit gives width and height measurements for the front smile of the pan. May have to remeasure.