The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Center link hitting crossmember??? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=804452)

carbon69 04-16-2020 02:15 PM

Center link hitting crossmember???

Replaced the front steering with all new components on my 67c10. Had been converted to 5 lug with 71 parts. Also installed a ccp 50014 steering box. Problem is, my center link is making contact with the crossmember on the driver's side. Just curious if anybody else had used this steering gear and had this issue. The center link is orientated correctly. Seems like the pitman arm needs to suck up on the spines more, but it's as far as it will go. Using a Moog k6131 Pitman arm.

I did notice that the steering gear hangs a little lower than the stock box.

Thanks

Wrenchbender Ret 04-16-2020 03:34 PM

Re: Center link hitting crossmember???

On a 67 you have to use an adapter when mounting the power steering box. The original PS on 67 was a linkage type like the older trucks used. It only came with a manual steering box.
George

carbon69 04-16-2020 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret (Post 8717795)
On a 67 you have to use an adapter when mounting the power steering box. The original PS on 67 was a linkage type like the older trucks used. It only came with a manual steering box.
George

Yes, but the entire front cross member is from a 71, so it's no different than a 71. The 50014 box does not require an adapter. It bolted right up, no issues there.

carbon69 04-16-2020 04:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic

lolife99 04-16-2020 06:09 PM

Can you post a picture of the inner tie rods connected to the center link?

Boog 04-16-2020 06:42 PM

Just recently someone posted there are two lengths of pitman arms. If yours is a bit longer than stock it could push the center link into the crossmember possibly?
Need that pic.

carbon69 04-16-2020 07:30 PM

Yes, I'll get some pictures

LockDoc 04-16-2020 08:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by carbon69 (Post 8717971)
Yes, I'll get some pictures

Did you shim the box out to clear the frame? The '67 frame does not have a dimpled area for clearance for the steering box so you have to dimple the frame or shim the box out. Below picture of the dimpled area on the '68 up frames.

It looks like there is a gap on the bottom mounting boss in the picture of your box.

LockDoc

firedemon 04-16-2020 08:17 PM

center link on backwards ? easy mistake

LockDoc 04-16-2020 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firedemon (Post 8718004)
center link on backwards ? easy mistake

In his first post he states "The center link is orientated correctly."

LockDoc

michael bustamante 04-16-2020 09:41 PM

What is the steering gear out of and did you use the 71 Centrelink also?

carbon69 04-16-2020 09:55 PM

5 Attachment(s)
No I did not have to shim the box out, although I did use a very thin washer on each mounting point. The cp50014 allows for this as long as you have the raised pads, you do not need the dimpled frame. Here are the pictures;. The one thing I did notice is the steering gear housing seems to hang a little below the frame where the sector shaft comes out. It seems like the Pitman arm needs to go on further, but that's all folks. I did everything I could from the beginning to make sure I drove that puppy home. I greased the spines after I cleaned them and let the box so in the cold garage. Took the Pitman arm inside the house overnight. Before I installed it, I warmed the pitman arm splines with a propane torch to expand it a bit. After I started the nut by hand, I drove it home with my 3/4 impact.

carbon69 04-16-2020 10:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by michael bustamante (Post 8718071)
What is the steering gear out of and did you use the 71 Centrelink also?

Steering gear is a new cpp unit. Advertised to work on a 67 C10 up through 80 something.
Yes, the entire front end is 71. Everything I've purchased, spindles, brakes, tie rod ends has been for a 71-72.

How guys install the center link incorrectly, I can't understand. None of the tapers would be facing the correct way.

What is the center to center supposed to be on the Pitman arm?
I do have a ccp pitman coming tomorrow... But I have a feeling it will be the same as the Moog arm I have.

Thanks again for all the replies guys, I hate little hang ups like this.

The pic is the credit card I broke trying to check clearance:lol:

Sheepdip 04-16-2020 10:42 PM

I just recently did a front disc brake conversion on my 70-1 ton dually using a 86 Cab and Chassis donor, so I can't speak for a 72.

I chose to keep my 70 cross member as I saw no benefit to changing it out.
For some reason everything was identical dimension wise except the steering cross links, the 86 was about 1/2" longer difference at the tie rod tapers and 1" longer difference at the pitman/idler tapers.

I reused the existing 70 center link to a perfect fit and alignment. I did not have the 86 donor to measure why the difference but my thinking was the steering box/idler bracket spread.
Not sure if that's the area to look at, but worth a look.

lolife99 04-16-2020 10:42 PM

Some install the center link flipped by mistake.
Tie rods on the front side.
Yours is correct.
I bet you have the wrong pitman arm

lolife99 04-16-2020 10:45 PM

They show different lengths.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/s...c10-pickup-rwd

carbon69 04-16-2020 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 8718111)
Some install the center link flipped by mistake.
Tie rods on the front side.
Yours is correct.
I bet you have the wrong pitman arm

I'm hoping that's the case. Early classic sent me my front end parts. I'm pretty sure the box had the correct part number for the application, but you never know.

Sucky part is, I've got a few things I needed to return to them.. Oh well.
I'll be able to compare to the cpp one I'm getting tomorrow FA694. It sure looks like what I already have though.

carbon69 04-16-2020 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 8718113)

I didn't realize that...
The Moog one I have shows to be the shortest though?

Sheepdip 04-17-2020 12:09 AM

For what it's worth I measured my old Pitman arm and Idler arm for my 70

Pitman = 5-1/4" +/- center to center
Idler = 5-3/8" +/- center to center

carbon69 04-17-2020 12:16 AM

Thanks sheep, I'm going to go do the same. Im really hoping that I can find a pitman arm that will go onto the box a little further as well

I'm guessing most of these trucks have a center link that runs pretty close to the crossmember.

Boog 04-17-2020 04:25 AM

That's tight. The difference has to be that new sector if your old one cleared just fine. A some what easy fix would be to remove the center link then use the old rosebud torch and big hammer to relieve the area of contact on the crossmember itself.

carbon69 04-17-2020 09:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I considered that...

The only other thing I thought would work is to loosen the crossmember from the frame and see if I can move it back towards the rear. I'm just not sure how much it would actually move. I'd hate to pull the engine and remove everything just to find out it won't budge.

After looking at it again, if I could get that pitman arm to go on another 1/4 or even a bit less, it will pull the link up and away...

I was hoping to hear from someone who's used this box on a build, I know there's a few members that have.

SCOTI 04-17-2020 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carbon69 (Post 8718318)
I considered that...

The only other thing I thought would work is to loosen the crossmember from the frame and see if I can move it back towards the rear. I'm just not sure how much it would actually move. I'd hate to pull the engine and remove everything just to find out it won't budge.

After looking at it again, if I could get that pitman arm to go on another 1/4 or even a bit less, it will pull the link up and away...

I was hoping to hear from someone who's used this box on a build, I know there's a few members that have.

Member 88stanger had a similar issue so my bet is there's something wrong in the parts combo.... Pg.4; Post 87 is where the issue is highlighted...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=792565&page=4

carbon69 04-17-2020 07:39 PM

Recieved the Pitman arm today from ccp. Identical to the Moog unit I have on now. I guess I'll try my luck and see how far this one goes on.

Just to confirm, the center link is the same in a 71 power steering vs non...?

SCOTI 04-17-2020 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carbon69 (Post 8718835)
Recieved the Pitman arm today from ccp. Identical to the Moog unit I have on now. I guess I'll try my luck and see how far this one goes on.

Just to confirm, the center link is the same in a 71 power steering vs non...?

As far as I know, the center links were only different based on the year model range not type of steering (power assist or manual). So yes, a 71 power vs. manual steering truck would have the same center link. The Pitman arms are different between power assist or manual steer optioned trucks.

71-72's got disc brakes so the center link changed.
73's made further changes & the center link changed again (larger shanks and/or different taper).