The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Need help bleeding clutch (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=356736)

retodd7711 08-08-2009 06:30 AM

Need help bleeding clutch

2 Attachment(s)
I'm still having problems with air in my clutch lines.
I replaced a faulty slave cylinder and just can't get it right.
I have "2-man" bled it a dozen times, and it works good for a while then gets "mushy"again.
I'm going to get a pressure bleeder today.
Could someone please walk me through step-by-step instructions for this.
I don't want to look stupid, but this has been giving me fits for a while now.
Do I leave the m/c cap on or off?
Should I bleed the brake system also?
(Dual m/c, no probs with brakes)
I truly feel like the girl on the right.....

retodd7711 08-08-2009 06:32 AM

Re: Need help bleeding clutch

Oops, a little info for you.
'62 GMC
305 V-6
Four speed with granny
Clutch worked great before slave cylinder boot rotted out.
Thanks to all ;)

PrerunnerRob 08-08-2009 10:04 AM

Are you losing any fluid? When you bleed it, are you making sure you don't suck any air back into the line when the pedal is released?

Corts60 08-08-2009 10:41 AM

retodd,

Have you replaced that flex hose for the clutch slave cylinder behind the engine? It is about 8" long I think and could be a good spot to be pulling in air. My truck is having the same issues, ie: bleeding down at a stop light. And that is after replacing both the m/c and s/c.

I'm about to pull mine this week and have a new one made up. Other than that, it is just like bleeding brakes. The best way to ensure you don't pull air back into the system is to fill a little water bottle or something half way with brake fluid, stick a hose on the bleed nipple and put the other end into the fluid and, make sure it doesn't come out of the fluid while bleeding. You should see air bubbles coming up in the fluid, if there is any.

Hope this helps.

markeb01 08-08-2009 04:12 PM

One trick that has worked for me in the past is to block the clutch fork from moving with a 2x4, clamp or whatever works. That way you are applying full pressure against a solid object. Unlike bleeding brakes where the system is pressing against the drums or discs, if the clutch fork can move during bleeding, enough pressure may dissipate to allow some air to remain trapped in the system.

retodd7711 08-08-2009 08:07 PM

All I could get was a vacuum pump.
I hooked it to the bleeder, filled the m/c and sucked all the nasty fluid out.
Then I poured in clean fluid,vacuumed, more fluid,vacuumed again.
The clutch seems to be grabbing solid now.
On to the next problem, before the slave went out the clutch grabbed about halfway, now it's grabbing near the top and I can't seem to adjust it back down.
If I go one way the clutch slips.
The contact point stays the same during this adjustment, always at the top.
The other way and it grinds trying to shift.
Truck only has 26,000 miles and it worked perfect before.
I just don't like a pedal grabbing at the top of it's swing.