The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Intermittent cruise issue (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=691198)

Boog 12-10-2015 06:04 PM

Intermittent cruise issue

There are times the cruise will not engage on our 09 yukon. It has right at 100,000 miles on it. Anyone else experience this?
I've not found any TSB's on this.

First c10 12-13-2015 03:43 PM

Re: Intermittent cruise issue

If not mistaken it you have a light bulb out or replaced a build with a different wattage then the BCM senses a different resistance. Try stepping on the bike pedal slightly or just enough to turn the brake lights on. And try setting your cruise.
I installed a utility body on my 08 gmc 3500 and the box went from a 2 light tail light on the stock box to a 1 light tail light on the utility box.... Since that day my cruise does exactly what you stated in you post. I plan to change the bulb from a stock 4.7 watt to a 10 watt bulb and see if that fixes my problem. But since I can get my cruise to work with a little playing around. I haven't been in a hurry. Or just lazy. Hope this helps.

Boog 12-13-2015 05:58 PM

We haven't replaced any bulbs. Thanks for idea though.

First c10 12-13-2015 07:04 PM

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threa...control.52791/
Try this as my comment above I figured you had already checked the brake switch.

Boog 12-13-2015 08:45 PM

Well thank you for both. So far I've not found anything in the TSB's or online complaints so far. I also didn't know of that forum. Now I do. Thanks.
I'll pull up the brake pedal with a toe and see if the cruise will set then. If so I'll pickup a switch.

Angryman117 12-14-2015 03:58 PM

Had the same problem on our 07 Yukon except no Cruise. Turns out the brake switch was bad and did not have any brake lights either. Replaced the switch and everything worked. They are fairly cheap, however the retention clip can be a PITA.

68Gold/white 12-17-2015 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angryman117 (Post 7410133)
Had the same problem on our 07 Yukon except no Cruise. Turns out the brake switch was bad and did not have any brake lights either. Replaced the switch and everything worked. They are fairly cheap, however the retention clip can be a PITA.

I replaced the brake light switch on a 2009 pickup, fixed problem, also. Clip was a pain. Get a mirror to look at the from the side. It will help you understand how to take clip off, way easier...

Boog 12-17-2015 01:25 PM

Good idea.

raceman6135 12-18-2015 01:30 AM

My 2008 GMC Sierra had the same issue: intermittent cruise control, but no problems with the brake lights themselves. Sometimes I could get the cruise to work by lifting, or tapping, or moving sideways, the brake pedal, but that only worked for a couple weeks.

Replaced the brake light switch and everything has worked 100 percent ever since.

Yup, the retaining clip can be a bit of a pain. These pix may help:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/uplo...89_4_15086.jpg

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/dt...175052_pic.gif

Boog 12-18-2015 07:08 AM

In years past I just demolished those irritating little clips and replaced with new ones. They were like $1.95 at the dealer. ;) I kept a spare in the tool box. I might even still have one.
Why they ever deviated from the old hair pin types I don't know. They worked great for many years.
Thanks for the pic.

Boog 12-21-2015 03:40 PM

Well this past weekend's trip pulling up on the brake pedal did not help. The cruise only worked once. My BIL said a speed sensor fixed the cruise on his Burb. I'll try a switch first.

GM-power 12-21-2015 11:11 PM

Have scanned the system for any trouble codes? GM has two bulletins that imop deal with your situation. One deals with checking the master pressure sensor(if it reads pressure while applie, check sensor, wiring etc). Second one deals with circuit 6311(it's a low reference circuit at 9v, this circuit run through all the modules, except the BCM, you'll need a meter to check your voltage at the ECM. For normal brake pedal operation it will be at 0v released and 12v applied. If you have 9v while it is released a open/high resistance in the circuit or a internal issue with the BCM may be present. I would start with scanning it, I kind of doubt the second bulletin I alluded to is the issue. I'm on my phone so I tried to write them out as best I could. Hopefully it's somewhat helpful! Lol

Boog 12-25-2015 09:48 PM

While the cruise will not set at 70 mph it will set at a lower speed like 40 or 45. Pulling up on the brake pedal doesn't make any difference either. Tomorrow I will try setting it at 45 and accelerating up from there and see how that works. So far I've not had any cels but will hookup the scanner.

BigRed76 12-25-2015 11:21 PM

It can have a code for the brake light switch and not illuminate the cel. I've seen numerous brake light switches fail on 07-up trucks, and the inoperative cruise is always the first thing people notice. And I have seen the switches fail where the brake lights stay on constant or don't work at all.

Boog 12-25-2015 11:57 PM

Yes and I have read where some times the brake lights do not work as well as the cruise when the switch fails. I have a new brake switch in the shop from a previous truck I may try if it is the same one.
It just seems real odd that the cruise sets ok at a slower speed but not at 70 or 75. This tends to sound like a speed sensor possibly. We'll see. Thanks

Boog 01-07-2016 03:18 PM

I put on a new brake switch last night and still nogo. I just hooked up my little scanner and there are no stored dtc's.
Does the cruise set button have a light on it like the cruise power on does? If so mine is burned out. Will that make the cruise inop?

BigRed76 01-07-2016 04:03 PM

Just out of curiosity what kind of scanner are you using? Is it capable of reading manufacturer specific codes or just generic codes?

Boog 01-07-2016 04:29 PM

Innova 3130. It does.

Boog 01-16-2016 01:09 PM

Well the new switch failed to work the first time out but has worked ever since. Used it on 3 trips now. I'm going to open the old one and see what's going on in there.
Oh and by the way the retainer clip on my Yukon has a bolt in the center of it. It was easy to get to and all done in less than 10 minutes.

Boog 02-05-2016 09:49 PM

Well 2 weeks after replacing the brake switch with a more expensive BWD brand switch it began acting up again. This time the brake lights stayed on a lot while driving, obviously the cruise would not set and we got a couple of messages saying service stabilitrac and traction control systems and ABS/TSC circuit faulty. A new AC Delco brake switch was put in today. A rare occurance when an AC part is less than other brands. Trip tomorrow so we'll hope it is cured.

raceman6135 02-08-2016 07:41 PM

Fingers crossed for you! Sorry you're having issues, still. I went with an AC Delco on my first try, mainly because it's Delco, and also, it plus the shipping was my cheapest option to get one to me in Canada.