The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Does This Happen To You Too? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=366)

SuperCheyenne72 03-22-2002 05:57 PM

Does This Happen To You Too?

I'm just curious to hear other people's stories on this because I am still new to "the eperience"...

After buying my first 1970 C-10 back in Nov. of 2000, I couldn't help but feel overwhelmed with pride on this Classic Chevy. It wasn't perfect but it wasn't a junker either. After a few weeks I began to notice other 67-72 chevy truck owners on the road.

It's hard to explain but I was overwhelmed with intentions of just waving hi to these strangers and I would normally never wave to ANYBODY!

My first experience was driving down a lonely 2-lane highway. In the distance of oncoming traffic I made out what appeared to be a 71' Chevy, no better or no worse condition than my own. Before he even got within eyesight I began gesturing "hi" inside my cab. As he came into view, I noticed he was gesturing right back at me in the same manner. It's like we both did it at the same time... I was floored. Wow.

Does this sound right? From then on, have I become an elite member in some sorta secret society of esteemed 67-72 Chevy truck owners? Do we have this secret head nod when we are beside each other at redlights? Do we always flash our head lights at each other in the broad daylight when crossing paths? If so, I love being a 67-72 Chevy truck owner, It's like we all truly understand we are part of a rare and special group!

I want to hear ya'lls stories... I'm so curious about all of this.

------------------
'72 Super Cheyenne LWB
  • 350 V8 w/ TH400
  • MSD Pro Billet HEI Dist. w/ Splitfire plugs
  • Holly Intake Manifold and dual exhuast glasspaks
  • Reman. QuadraJet Carb.
"Wanna race, I'll let you give me a head start?"

Benrs86 03-22-2002 06:13 PM

EXACTLY! it seems to be more all old chevy pickups but 67-72 drivers especially, i know what your tlaking about

busterwivell 03-22-2002 06:13 PM

Have a guy who lives outhere in the desert like I do with a 70 LWB. We do the same thing all the time.
Same thing happens when I drive my Monte Calro SS, but I don't have my 66 Chevelle on the road yet to know if it's a total Chevrolet thing or not.........Kinda COOL though, don'tya think?

daveo68 03-22-2002 06:18 PM

I've had some wave and some that looked like it might kill them to wave or smile. I've also had people in other brands wave or ask me about my truck. Also had a few give me the one-finger peace sign. That's because they are jealous.
Dave

------------------
68 C-10 Custom LWB
307 V8
Three-on-the-tree
Lexington,NC
davideowens@lexcominc.net

Longhorn Man 03-22-2002 06:31 PM

Quote:

sorta secret society of esteemed 67-72 Chevy truck owners
Nice way of putting it.
I tend to get this responce from anyone driving an older classic, be it ford, dodge, even the AMC gang.
I love it. I'll be tooling around in my GMC with a friend or my dad with me, and I'll just wave at some one drivin one, who ever is in the truck with me thinks I'm on crack.
When I first got back from Tx, this happened and my dad says.
"Your in the city now, no one waves at anyone they don't know."
Bigger than sh!t, the next old car...I got a wave.

------------------
'69 G.M.C. 350/350. Trying to clean up the left over damage from the Dope-Smokin-Old-Man
I've been dubbed the Longhorn Freak/Fanatic/Expert, I just hope I can live up to it.
Need to pick up the one ton Longhorn with a PONTIAC 350/350soon.
Thanks every one!:)
Check out The Longhorn Webite.
If you need a pic posted, E-mail me at longhornmail@yahoo.com
Andy, in Columbus Ohio

COBALT 03-22-2002 06:31 PM

I wave all the time, or at least raise a hand, and I've yet to get a return wave or even a kind jesture. I've even gotten the finger, which made me mad!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/board/ubbhtml/frown.gif

------------------
'69 3/4 ton C20 2wd w/ 350ci/400THM and a wood bed!
'69 3/4 ton Custom 20 2wd w/ ORIGINAL 350ci/4sp Manual and a wood bed (parts beast).
Seattle, WA.

*See pics of my trucks and project at www.webshots.com!

CoryM 03-22-2002 06:53 PM

Here the guys who have spent some time and effort in their truck will almost always wave. The guys who are still using them as just work trucks/beaters don't. But ya it happens with most cars. The "corvette wave" is probably the most common. I even get waves in my beat up camaro.
Have fun.
CoryM

------------------
1970 heavy duty C-10 fleetside sport truck. Vancouver B.C. Canada
http://www.geocities.com/chevroletc1070

"Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high."
Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, Canadian Army

SuperCheyenne72 03-22-2002 07:48 PM

new69owner:
I think CoryM might be onto something... maybe the only reason I haven't experienced anything like you have is because I catch myself right before I wave to anyone in a truck that is 1)being used and abused for a work truck or 2)is being neglected to the point of rust and decrepitude. These people just don't know what a good thing they have... you might as well give a bar of gold to a monkey.

longhornmail:
I like your story, how's this? I was riding one day with my father-in-law, and on the same stretch of highway I begin to close in on a 70-something f@#d. Going the speed limit I slowly pull along side of them... In the middle of my father's conversation I mutter out "Oh boy here we go..." He asks "what is it", totally oblivious to what's going on. I say without taking my eyes off the truck, "These guys are gonna want a piece of me..."
Sure enough, two teenagers begin racing their engine going about 60, as they hop, I hop and we both had nothing to brag about.
10 sec. and 80 mph. later of neckin' I let them go on... didn't want to give the old man a heart attack.
Sure they were teenagers... but I somehow saw it comin before I even knew who was driving.

kurts72 03-22-2002 08:13 PM

I too am a recent owner of the '72 stepside (4 months). It's great to see other owners wave the thumbs up. Also, I can't believe how many people really appreciate my truck- and it really isn't restored yet although it is rust free. These '67-72 models have the cleanest classic lines of any older truck and their value will sky rocket in the next few years! THUMBS UP!

Pont 03-22-2002 08:16 PM

I have owned many classic GM vehicles (most of them muscle cars) and have never experienced "the wave" until I bought my ragtop Vette. Almost all Vette owners do wave at each other. However, I seem to be getting quite a few waves with my old Chevy truck and I find myself doing the same. I hope this grows into something as common as the Vette wave!

------------------
67 SWB 4x4 - 396 BB / SM420 4 spd
8" lift / 15x14 Welds & 35X14.5 SSR's
Grants Pass, OR

bigjimzlll 03-22-2002 08:57 PM

here in north CA..are trucks are so many in number..that evryone has one..I see old ladies drivin them..most of them beaters..but there is a few nice ones..I wish there was a more friendly additude..I guess i could start one though....

toms68cst 03-22-2002 10:17 PM

When we go camping in the summer I drive our Explorer towing the camper and My wife gets to drive the 68 CST full of bikes out to the campground. When I see fellow 67-72 freaks waving AT MY WIFE-IN MY PICKUP I get really jealous!

------------------
Unrestored 68 C-10 CST. 327 4-Speed. 48,000 miles.
Bismarck, ND

See My truck and rare 1967 prototype pictures at:
http://community.webshots.com/user/toms68cst

MSN Messeger: toms68cst@hotmail.com

daveo68 03-22-2002 10:20 PM

Why so jealous,it's only a truck!!! LOL

------------------
68 C-10 Custom LWB
307 V8
Three-on-the-tree
Lexington,NC
davideowens@lexcominc.net

70cstguy 03-22-2002 10:32 PM

Yea, I get the thumbs up a lot too. How many times has some guy asked you if your truck is for sale? I get at least one offer a month.

70 Jimmy 03-22-2002 11:17 PM

I hate it when I see our trucks and I'm in my POS commuter. If I wave they'll think I'm a "funny". Can't wait 'til I get the beast back on the road.

------------------
"KEEP IT DOWN!"
70 Jimmy 454 2wd
56 GMC Big Window

Project1970 03-23-2002 03:14 AM

I get/give plenty of waves, mostly with other '67-'72 GM owners...at the least, I try for eye contact...

It does seem to be a bit of an old GM thing, though (not sure, since there's hardly anything else around here that's both restored and not GM!!!)

I agree on the wanting to wave...any time I see one of these trucks when I'm not in mine...hehe....

------------------
Project 1970 - soon to be seen at http://milhouse.treylis.org:81/

bobs409 03-23-2002 07:20 AM

It's not just these trucks. Motorcycle owners almost always wave to each other and I know vette owners do.

In my area, thumbs up and waves are rare though. Most people just keep a low profile. I have gotten a few thumbs up's while driving my 66 Chevelle. The first time was from someone driving a Volvo of all things!

Other Chevelle owners have occasionally gestured to me also.

Don't worry though, even if they aren't waving, their looking! These old trucks are the best looking trucks on the road.

------------------
63 Impala*66 Chevelle SS*69 Chevelle*69 C10 Stepside*71 Cheyenne 20*72 Chevelle

Parts for sale:
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/mr409/items4sale.html

GMCjunkie 03-23-2002 09:55 AM

So glad to see that Im not the only one. Im usually the one that waves, and mabey 10% of the time I get a wave back, usually they just look at me like "What the hell is SHE thinking" Most guys around here think theyre to "MALE" to wave at a female, that has an intrest in trucks. Dont matter, Ill still wave, I cant help it if when I see that "look" that my hand cramps up and all they see is the "LONE" finger, LOL

------------------
-------------------------
SILLY BOYZ......TRUCK ARE FOR GURLZ !!

Longhorn Man 03-23-2002 11:53 AM

I'd wave at you Jodie. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/board/ubbhtml/wink.gif

Brad 03-23-2002 12:55 PM

I'd even give you the "How you doin'" look!

------------------
WOU in Monmouth, Or
68 Camaro,250(No,I'm not putting in a 350!)
67,LWB,250(Again, I'm not putting in a 350!)
a work in progress
"Praise The Lowered"

Longhorn Man 03-23-2002 01:04 PM

you YOU doin? LOL!!! You'd be amazed at how many chicks smile when you dop that. Joey is an idol.

------------------
'69 G.M.C. 350/350. Trying to clean up the left over damage from the Dope-Smokin-Old-Man
I've been dubbed the Longhorn Freak/Fanatic/Expert, I just hope I can live up to it.
Need to pick up the one ton Longhorn with a PONTIAC 350/350soon.
Thanks every one!:)
Check out The Longhorn Webite.
If you need a pic posted, E-mail me at longhornmail@yahoo.com
Andy, in Columbus Ohio

blazerboy72 03-23-2002 03:08 PM

I can't wave at everyone that waves at me or i would have my hand up everywhere i go.

cableguy0 03-23-2002 03:44 PM

i had a great experience out on the highway with a guy in a vette.i was probably doin about 75 when i got up next to him the road was wide open for us up ahead so i hit the go pedal.he did the same the next time i looked at the speedo it was almost at zero. and the vette a couple car lengths back.i slowed down let him catch up and even though his mid 90's vette just got waxed by an old truck in primer he still smiled and waved when we got side by side again

------------------
72 chevy lwb 350 lunati cam ported and polished cast 2.02 heads proform hei edelbrock performer rpm and 750 carb balanced bottom end 9.5:1 compression ps,pb th350 with a tci 2500 stall convertor full man v-body kevlar clutches and bands as well as other goodies

SuperCheyenne72 03-23-2002 03:59 PM

bigjimzlll:
I never imagined a place where the streets are flowing with gold aka. Chevys. Being in TX, I may see a truck worthy of a wave once or twice a day. I guess it makes sense that in CA, since everyone has one, they may take it for granted.

Project1970:
I know what you mean... I'll catch myself about to wave to a fellow truck owner and then realize "wait, I'm in my wife's 92 Paseo... they'll think I'm a funny idiot!"
I need a bumper sticker that says "My other REAL vehicle is a 72 Chevy!"

GMCjunkie 03-23-2002 07:31 PM

Andy & Brad... I know you would guys, California could use more guys like y'all!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/board/ubbhtml/wink.gif

------------------
-------------------------
SILLY BOYZ......TRUCK ARE FOR GURLZ !!