The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Hassled by the police.......... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=42267)

Hotrod70C10 02-26-2003 02:54 AM

Hassled by the police..........

Here's the story, I was just driving home from a friends house. I as going 35 mph by my speedo on a 30 mph street. I police car turned around and pulled me over. I knew I was going 5 over so I was waiting for my ticket. A woman police officer walks up and tells me to give my license and insurance verification over. I do so and soon after she tells me that my truck doesn't sound like it has emisions equipment on it. She kneels down and checks with her flashlight and oh what do you know no catalitic converters. She then stands up and says " You do realize that you do not have proper emmisions equipment on your vehicle. " In return I reply by the way in a normal tone of voice and not being sarcastic " Yes but you do realize that this is a 1970 truck and it is not required to have catalitic converters. " Well...that set her off apparently. She tells me "I'll be right back!" in a sarcastic type of voice. About 10 minutes later I recieve a ticket for going 41 in a 30. I don't know about anywhere else in the country but over 10 mph goes on your insurance record. So...I guess I got an extra 6 mph boost in speed b/c of the whole emmisions equipment deal. Nothing against female police officers but..... I don't know I just think it's rediculous.

Alexis 02-26-2003 03:24 AM

that sucks dude......if you where going 35 then fight it if your right.......first she pulls a U turn to pull you over how does she knwo how fast you where going? B explain the situation to the judge tell him what she said about the smog, the truck not haven the right stuff even thought it is except by law, make her look stupid and kinda show that the ticket was given cause she was upset on being worng. 10 miles over the speed limits gets on your insurance and she gave you a ticket for41 mph....all i see is BS across her forhead if your story is true. i say fight it and maybe you might just get her in toruble for being arogant.

Alexis 02-26-2003 03:27 AM

Re: Hassled by the police..........

Quote:

Originally posted by Hotrod70C10
Nothing against female police officers but.....
just had to add to this one. i feel your pain.

68 Suburban 02-26-2003 04:01 AM

Ive learned one thing with dealing with female cops. Never challenge their authority, ever!

Hotrod70C10 02-26-2003 04:09 AM

yeah 68 burb I learned that back when I was in highschool. I just don't understand how she took offense to what I said. I dunno...oh well I'm gonna head to court alexis, I just hope I don't hose myself with the whole thing and spend more than I would for the ticket in the first place. I guess I made an example for everyone don't say anything if they want to give you a citation or a ticket for emmisions. especially if it's a woman! lol!

Southpa 02-26-2003 04:55 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't have mentioned anything about the year of the truck to her. Go to court and then mention it, lol. Watch the judge give the case the 'ol heave-ho and then reprimand the officer.

basketcase 02-26-2003 07:42 AM

I agree with Southpaw. You should have just thought to yourself "Lady, you are one stupid.....officer" and then made her look the part in court. I think most cops spend way too much time watching Cop TV and many have the attitude that they are in the big time. Don't like to be shown up either and will usually take it out on you. Go to court. It may be worth it. You never know what kind of history this officer and the judge have. He may have seen a lot of this before and side with you.

bobs409 02-26-2003 08:59 AM

I would definetly fight this one. You already have the ticket, what more can happen?

Nothing chaffes my butt more than hearing about some cop abusing their power!

How many times have you seen a cop not use a turn signal or worse. They can do anything they want.

Sick her!!! LOL

BTW, this reminded me of an incedent I had with a cop once. I had just bought my '72 Malibu and here in Pa, you have 10 days to get a newely purchased car inspected. The car had a 1991 sticker on it and the year was 1995.

You should have seen the way the cop acted! He said, "I almost couldn't believe my eyes when I saw your 1991 sticker!" He was so proud of himself for catching me. No doubt the fact that it was a muscle car helped this. (we're all trouble makers don't you know)

I told him that I have 10 days to get it inspected but then I got the, "oh no you don't" super cop speech. I said ok, we'll see about this. I took the ticket ($90.00+)

I went to the notary public where I got this info from when I licensed the car and he assured me the cop was wrong and got on the phone with someone to straighten it all out. The next day I went to the magistrates office and was told the officer voided the ticket. He didn't even show up. Haw haw!

I made a butt out him! :D

Bottom line is...cops are often wrong. And when they are, put them in their place! :D

smokekiki 02-26-2003 09:53 AM

Fight that ticket! Good chance she doesn't show. Bobs409 was that a township cop?The town cops around here where jack boots and have crew cuts.They must watch "cops" 24 hours a day.

1971LT1SWBPOSI373 02-26-2003 09:54 AM

Go to court and fight it.... Tell your story to the judge and let the entire court audience hear it too. Most of the time they will throw the ticket out, just because it takes up too much of their time for a small traffic offense. Just don't ever let her catch you speeding in the future or she'll get you for anything she can....

dtlilly 02-26-2003 11:56 AM

Tickets

Fight the ticket. Cops are just public servants. They are not lawers, so they don't know the laws they are enforcing. I'm always very respectful and never argue the facts with them. Their mentality is not able to correspond to logic. Take whatever BS ticket they think will justify pulling you over. Then go to the Law College and research the actual letter of the law. That way, you can discredit and embarress the cop in front of his/her co-workers, the judge, and spectators :cool:

1971Stepside 02-26-2003 12:15 PM

Yesterday I had to go to a funeral about an hour away from home and on the trip back I stopped at a gas station to get a beverage. While there I say a couple of county cops getting coffee and gas (they were from a different county than I was in). Anyway, I was doing about 65 in a 55 when I look in my mirror and see these guys come flyin up behind me. I knew they were out of there jurisdiction so I knocked it down to 60 to be safe. When we turn on the road that allows 65mph I kick it up to about 75 and they are right behind me and the dude whips out and passes me!! He had to be doing 85 or so and they were just headed back to the home office (same town as me). I thought about the level of integrity those guys had and the abuse of authority....

Project1970 02-26-2003 12:26 PM

Fight it, man. I fought my street-racing and because the state knew they really had nothing on me, I managed to get it down to traffic school, and my record is nice and clean. Insurance never heard, never will. :D

And yeah, off-duty cops drive like idiots. Just Sunday night I had one blow by me doing at least 95...I was doing 70 in a 55, and he made me look like I was standing still. No lights or sirens; at first I thought it was just some idiot in a ricer when I saw the headlights coming up that fast and weaving across three lanes!!!

mtdave2 02-26-2003 01:09 PM

when they try and bump the speed you were going up like, i would ask to see the radar reading...

lpaine 02-26-2003 01:12 PM

Sounds like P.M.S. to me.

supercheyenne 02-26-2003 01:21 PM

Your still hosed. Sorry, but you won't win against the officer. She can either change her mind or not show up, but other than that you're not gonna win. It's gonna be your word against a badge.

That being said, go ahead and fight it. You have nothing to lose.

Bowtie468 02-26-2003 01:30 PM

:D lol at lpaine !!!!

70 longbed 02-26-2003 02:11 PM

Hotrod70c10,

Sorry to hear about the ticket.

In a post about a week ago, we talked about a side pic of your truck. Can you still get one for me? You can send it straight to my email if you want. (shulkok@hqisec.army.mil).

Really appreciate the effort.

Thanks

Keith

O'l Buck 02-26-2003 02:18 PM

Kinda reminds me of the one of the first trips I took with my 79 Peterbilt. Rookie DOT man pulled me over, wieghed me up....legal....inspects my truck, finds nothing wrong, comments about no power steering and no A/C.......and then says he's gonna write me up for having no front brakes on the steering axle.

I told him it didn't need brakes on the steering axle because it was old enough and he said 79 was the 1st year they were required. I told him to check his book because the law didn't come into effect until July of 79 and my truck was built in May..........it was total crap, but he bought it........no tickets, just 45 minutes sitting along side the road b/s ing with the DOT man.......

ChevLoRay 02-26-2003 02:29 PM

1. If you believe you are right, then, by all means, fight it in court.

2. If there is a possibility that your speedometer is not right, get it checked. My speedometer is pessimistic...says I'm doing 30 when I'm actually going 34. I drive below the posted limit when I'm in the '69.

3. I just got pulled over on Monday, by a cop who told me that I had just passed in a no-passing zone as I came down a hill, based on what he saw from a quarter-mile away. I told him that the MY passing zone started as I was coming down the hill. I knew it because I drive it EVERYDAY!!! There was a no-passing zone at the bottom, but I got back in before I got to it. After I told him that I drive school busses in our town AND that I do my best to be aware of those little yellow lines, he said he wasn't going to give me a ticket. After that, I left, and he went back to see what I was talking about.

4. My wife had warned me to go a different way than the old fart that I been following at 20mph, waiting for a passing zone. I shoulda listened to her.

5. Always carry some premium chocolate for females who may be in the midst of a PMS crisis.

Ray Cobia 02-26-2003 02:35 PM

Is your speedometer right? You admit you were speeding, so why not be a MAN about, instead of bad mouthing police officers? What would happen if all policemen @ policewomen just quit?

72CustomCamper 02-26-2003 02:58 PM

Oh c'mon Ray...

From the explanation, this is a clear cut incidence of ego over morality. She said she pulled him over for emissions equipment and then gave a speeding ticket when she realized she was wrong...

The speedometer is not even relevant.

If it was, she would have stated the speeding issue right off instead of the BS exhaust check.

Check my bio, I fully understand and respect authority, but not when it is ego or position driven...

:gmc:

rusty ol' 69' 02-26-2003 03:06 PM

Dude Ray Cobia are you kidding me?

Be a MAN about it??? What the hell does that mean? Can't you tell the difference between blatant harassment and a police officer JUST doing his/her job? She was obviously pissed about being corrected on the emissions issue. So why would you say just be a MAN. What kind of crap is that? I know plenty of police officers who hate officers who abuse their power in such a fashion. I also, know for a fact that if someone piss's them off they will use there badge to take advantage of the situation. But there is a huge difference between harassing a would be drug lord or someone who is blatantly being uncoperative, and harassing someone because they stated a fact. You think we should except bulsh!t treatment just so we can have cops. Where's your moral honor and dignity?

1971Stepside 02-26-2003 03:14 PM

I think supercheyenne is correct. What are you going to tell the judge? Yes your honor, I was speeding but I wasn't going as fast as she said I was......

Gene 02-26-2003 03:28 PM

Absolutely thats what he should tell the judge! Theres a big difference between 5 and 10 over like he said an insurance increase. The emissions thing is also an issue, he should mention that his speed was raised after the officer was corrected!