The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   boyds tank in tank fuel pump questions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=770826)

my kids toy 09-06-2018 05:35 AM

boyds tank in tank fuel pump questions

What have some of you used in boyds tank for the fuel pump ? I see boyds offers a pump but it seems expensive for the bracket he makes.

I know I can have it made myself for a lot cheaper then that.
I just need to find the right Submersible Pump bulk head terminals and the weld in fitting for the fuel line.
I do not know were to find those parts yet so asking here to see what others have done.

My boyds tank has the clean out plate/ring that is used for the fuel pump.

PGSigns 09-06-2018 07:05 AM

Re: boyds tank in tank fuel pump questions

I think the plate they are using now is a billet machined one. Summit, Jegs and Boyd welding all have the weld in bungs. I am running there tank with the intank pump with a return regulator with a carb. Dont forget to order the insulated fitting for the power to the pump.
Jimmy

my kids toy 09-06-2018 07:42 PM

Did you buy there in tank kit or make your own ? I think at $230 for them to weld in the bung and connect the wires and weld the stand is a bit steep, the 340 areomotive pump there using is only $118

PGSigns 09-07-2018 07:35 AM

I got the entire tank. The still have to make the parts, not just weld them up for $230. And like I said I think the new ones are cnc machined and not water jet cut. Look at the picture of the pump setup in the tank section. It's not the same as the old one pictured in the pump ad.
Jimmy

my kids toy 09-07-2018 07:22 PM

I looked at it just now, it is not much different then what I have and not worth the extra $230 when it should be about $30 in parts.
I can not believe I am the first one to want to do this,
Hopefully someone will respond to the original question.

Money_pit 09-11-2018 10:39 PM

Interested as well same problem. I’m just too cheap. Sure it’s of great quality like their tanks

bdoobie69 09-17-2018 07:25 PM

I have a boyd tank mounted in the rear of my 72 stepside. I am just going to drop in a 98-02 F-Body pump assembly. All you have to do is get a ring cut for the top to clamp it down. Like 40 bucks on rock auto for the pump assembly. You can even use the truck ones and shorten them. I am just going to swap the pump for a walbro 450 which is a little over 100 bucks. Only because I am going E-85 and may slap a turbo on in the future.

71cadc10 09-19-2018 01:00 AM

i have a walbro GSS342 in mine
it's a bit higher pressure...runs dead headed (no return) 58 psi

mcmlxix 09-19-2018 05:24 AM

www.vaporworx.com for a aluminum ring that allows you to use an OEM fuel pump module.

https://www.vaporworx.com/wp-content...6/01/RWTAK.jpg https://www.rockauto.com/info/43/FG0340K__ra_p.jpg

my kids toy 09-19-2018 06:07 AM

Thanks for the suggestions but the boyds tank already has the solid ring so just looking for aluminum weld in bung and electrical bulk head connectors.

Tork? 09-19-2018 10:42 AM

Can you drill holes and use AN screw on bulkhead fittings for feed/return and hang the pump off the fitting?

bdoobie69 09-19-2018 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my kids toy (Post 8347452)
Thanks for the suggestions but the boyds tank already has the solid ring so just looking for aluminum weld in bung and electrical bulk head connectors.

Do you already have a fuel pump? If you don't then the OEM fuel pump assembly I suggested takes care of your issues. It already passes through the electrical connections. You won't need the vapor works ring either. Just cut a hole in the cover plate provided by Boyd's to pinch down the pump assembly and your done.

my kids toy 09-19-2018 04:50 PM

I sent you a message , we live close so checking it out would be great.

Oldironracing 09-20-2018 07:49 PM

I used a tanks universal in tank set up. Worked out great

my kids toy 10-10-2018 03:08 PM

I finally got my EFI pump set up done and have $180 in it with the welding.
It looks like what boyds offers.
I had a local welder weld a piece of aluminum angle iron on my clean out and had him weld the gas line fitting.
I used these parts from summit
wire thru bulkhead fitting # ABT-CFD-504
6AN male to 5/16 barb # SUM-220188B
and the fuel pump # AEI-11542 ( the gas line that comes with the kit is only 4" and you will need a 5 1/4" gas line for inside the tank.)

chris86 12-12-2022 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGSigns (Post 8338380)
I think the plate they are using now is a billet machined one. Summit, Jegs and Boyd welding all have the weld in bungs. I am running there tank with the intank pump with a return regulator with a carb. Dont forget to order the insulated fitting for the power to the pump.
Jimmy

What regulator are you using trying to do the same thing
Posted via Mobile Device