The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   4 corner steam vent line help (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=752038)

ozarks hunter 12-06-2017 10:12 PM

4 corner steam vent line help

I'm needing a factory 4 corner steam vent line for my swap. Does anyone sell them new or do I just need to search the junk yards? I see one for sale on Ebay but I would think there would be more.

mongocanfly 12-06-2017 11:02 PM

Re: 4 corner steam vent line help

im assuming your referring to a LS ....junk yard should work easiest...but they do sell the banjo style fitting for the steam ports...I bought a set of those and did my own plumbing with stainless tubing

ozarks hunter 12-07-2017 09:53 PM

Yes it is for a LS and I thought I was posting in that forum but got back on this one somehow.
Thanks.

Steve Cole 12-07-2017 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8098547)
im assuming your referring to a LS ....junk yard should work easiest...but they do sell the banjo style fitting for the steam ports...I bought a set of those and did my own plumbing with stainless tubing

Mongo, can you post a pic of what you did? Why would you need a 4 corner steam line? Thanks!

homemade87 12-08-2017 07:54 AM

You really dont need a 4 corner system . Gm stopped putting them on somewhere around 04 . I think it was developed mostly for the corvette or performance cars that the engine sit level front to back . If an engine was to sit level ( corvette drive line ) it could hold some air in the rear corner and the vent line allowed it to escape . If the engine was at a 3 degree angle ( most all swaps )down any air would migrate to the front to the vent lines . These lines are not for cooling . They will not move enough coolant to do any good . They will remove any air so you have as much coolant contact to the head as possible to eliminate and air pocket and hot spot .

If you are setting your engine up to be level front to rear I would suggest a 4 corner system . If not the fronts will work just fine . I would not spent the money on a 4 corner system .

All this being said , The op can find the oem 4 corner system on ebay . Expect to pay 50 to 60 bucks . Junk yards would be a crap shoot . They have not put these on vehicles for more that 10 years . There is a lot of aftermarket stuff out there to set one up .

crazy longhorn 12-08-2017 08:17 PM

Agree....my 2000, 5.3 did have the 4 corner setup. When I opted for the carbed setup, the lines would not fit under the intake? A call to Carshop, & the response, was no longer used. A look on my 02 , & no they were not! My engine in the 69 is set @ 3 degrees....& no issues;) Longhorn

ozarks hunter 12-09-2017 01:41 PM

I did go on ebay and found one there.
I've read that they are not needed and the engine angle does make sense. I just figure there are 4 ports so I might as well use all 4.

homemade87 12-09-2017 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozarks hunter (Post 8100630)
I did go on ebay and found one there.
I've read that they are not needed and the engine angle does make sense. I just figure there are 4 ports so I might as well use all 4.

It most definitely don't hurt to do it . The only reason there are 4 ports these days is so the head can be used left or right of the engine . Thats why you see the rears blocked . If swapped sides the rear becomes the front . This way they don't have to build 2 different heads .