The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Sick Feeling (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=744987)

FleetsidePaul 08-20-2017 03:01 AM

Sick Feeling

I sold my 31 Model A today, I didn't drive it nearly enough. And it was taking up much needed space.

Most of all I just didn't like seeing it sit around. And I never seemed to find the time for it.

I sold it to a really decent car guy. So I'm sure it will have a good home.

It just gave me kind of a sick feeling watching it rumble off down my street for the last time.

I'm sure a lot of you guys have had similar experiences. You know you need to do it. but it kind of stings when they roll away.

It's like losing an old friend.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/p...ictureid=23715

special-K 08-20-2017 07:07 AM

Re: Sick Feeling

I know the feeling too well and too many times. Why did you never drive it? Is it due to where you live? Man, I have always wanted a street rod and still do. I hope to have one in retirement to drive around in, tinker with, and do some rod runs. It would be sitting a lot now, but once retired... But I have (and hope to wherever I end up) excellent country cruisin' roads from the end of my driveway and even old route alternatives to the cities to stay off of the crazy interstates, if I wanted to.

Grumpy old man 08-20-2017 07:20 AM

Special-k , I've been a shunpiker myself for many years and it really brings out some good memories of old trucks gone by .:chevy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shunpiking

mongocanfly 08-20-2017 08:02 AM

"shunpiker"...learn sumpin new ever day...never heard that one before..

special-K 08-20-2017 10:21 AM

Me neither and that's me all over. Ozark Mt Daredevils did a song in the late-70s called "Backroads" that I could relate to then and still.

You ain't got no hitchhikers
No semi trucks, and no bikers
Gimme them backroads...all my own

4 lane freeways ain't got nothin' for me
Just gimme a backroad and a '50 Mercury
And I'll be rollin'.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K-g3O8hHWc

I think running around on back roads is my favorite pastime. I figured that out after a few show trucks. My interest in vehicles is using older stuff on older roads. I'm about to head out in a few.

I hope you don't mind where this has gone, Paul. And I hope this isn't rubbing that feeling in. I'm sure you thought long and hard on this and did what you had to do. I always do before letting one go. I watched my tow truck get hauled away by a 1/2t Dodge to NY state only to be on Craigslist the next week with the booms removed... The same way the knucklehead I got it from had. Ads says "Make western hauler". Better change that 5:14 rear :lol:. I figure my '63 Riviera was the last cool old fast car I'll own and that was 20+ years ago. I figured I'd rather have a convertible if I ever got a car. Shoulda just kept it. I haven't wanted a car since.

I am building my '67 for something to run around in and to travel in one day. I want to drive around the country on the old roads. People get ga ga over Rt66 and that is only one of many. So much to see, so little time

Boog 08-20-2017 10:24 AM

Dang Paul! It sure looks like a sweet little A Bone. I cannot imagine owning one that nice and letting it go. Non use they say is as bad a misuse though. I know I'm not helping you feel any better about letting it go but DANG! A friend of mine has a 31 looking much like yours I would love to talk him out of. Not as nice as yours but still real nice. He looked for years to find his and will not even discuss selling it.

GOPAPA 08-20-2017 10:49 AM

Paul .. that is close to a death in the family .. Hope all goes well and you get to see it once in awhile ..

slomotion 08-20-2017 11:44 AM

I also know how you feel. I've actually gotten "thick throated" watching "MY" car going away. When I have sold my rides I always hoped they'd go out of state and I wouldn't see them running around town.
Focus on the $$ and think of what you can do with that! :)

I also must be a "shunpiker" although I didn't know what it was called. The dually will run the pikes now with the overdrive, but it's much more pleasant cruising the backroads and stopping at farm stands, scenic over-looks, or just a wide place to watch a river roll by for a while.

FleetsidePaul 08-20-2017 02:41 PM

It was a tough decision. But I have too many vehicles. The maintenance was starting to become an issue. Always something with one of them. Almost like a job. Plus no space.

Something had to go.

My wife wants me to use the money to build a shop. I think she just wants to park her car in the garage. And get me out of the house.:lol:

special-K 08-20-2017 05:34 PM

Yeah, gas goes bad, batteries die, tires crack up all from time whether you run them or not, even in a garage.

I like the clean break. I don't want to know about it the day it's gone. It can go either way, as sad thing to see or wonderful to see it is being treated as you would. But knowing about it makes you miss it more.

Good experiences have been like when I sold a really nice big block Camper Special '78 dually I had done up real nice. The guy showed up in his masonry company truck and I though uh oh. But he wanted it for towing his sprint car that had the same blue in the paint scheme, he said. I was at a race and saw it in the pit area with the trailer painted to match and the car behind under those lights. Man that was a moment.

El Dorado Jim 08-20-2017 11:50 PM

Paul, did you ever get a 4x4 pickup yet?

FleetsidePaul 08-21-2017 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Dorado Jim (Post 8021529)
Paul, did you ever get a 4x4 pickup yet?

No, my wife's car was conking out and my main priority was to get her something safe since she drives through the canyon daily.

The truck I really want is still sitting there. But I feel weird about going on someone else's property. I've stopped but I chickened out.

There's no for sale sign or anything. And I know I don't like strange people on my property.

I'm going back up next week and I've got a couple of bucks now, maybe I'll put on my big boy pants and knock. I just don't want to be a pest, it's not my style.

And I know what it's like. People are always asking me if I want to sell my truck.

But you never know.

Boog 08-21-2017 12:19 PM

The worst that can happen is the owner tell you no. Or come to the door with a shotgun. That would be worse. ;)

You wont know till you ask.

slomotion 08-21-2017 01:53 PM

Could be there's been a "For Sale" sign in the window all along and it's just fallen down......

Of course that will nullify the "much needed space". :)

Indian113 08-21-2017 03:26 PM

I've only had that sick feeling on one vehicle. I sold my 69 Z28 because the factory I was working in went on strike and Rent, Groceries and being a Newlywed- Car Payment had to go. My wife wants to buy another one and Restore it. I don't think I could afford it nor would it be the same.

FleetsidePaul 08-21-2017 04:45 PM

Much needed space is in the garage. I don't even know if the truck would fit. The Model A barely did. That garage was packed like a sardine can.

Plus I'm wanting the truck for the house in the high desert. Not So. Cal.

Dirt roads up there. When it rains or snows they're mud roads.

Indian. A 69 Z28...OUCH!

Maybe I can take my brother in law over and have him knock on the door. If the shotgun comes out, at least it will be funny to watch him run away.

67ChevyRedneck 08-21-2017 04:51 PM

I would have had a hard time letting that one go too!

I get too attached to mine. I had a hard time letting a 2000 Z71 go (drove it for 11 years).

rcrahn 08-21-2017 05:04 PM

Hey Paul, when you wrote "That garage was packed like a sardine can" I can totally relate. I'm maxed out up here in NorCal.

People living in the burbs of Cali are limited on space. I envy guys in the midwest, TX and the south that have land and a shop, a real shop to store several cars with enough room to work on them.

Someday, someday I keep telling myself.....

Hubscrub 08-21-2017 05:38 PM

I'm shunpiker I hate interstates.:metal:

Indian113 08-21-2017 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 8022001)
I would have had a hard time letting that one go too!

I get too attached to mine. I had a hard time letting a 2000 Z71 go (drove it for 11 years).

I bought my Camaro In March of 69 and drove it off the Delivery Truck. Had I known our Marriage wasn't going to Last I might have kept it and dumped her earlier than I did:lol: In 71 you could pick up Chevelle's , Nova's and Camaro's pretty cheap.I bought a 68 SS 396 in 73 and traded it for a Harley. But That Cortez Silver Z still makes my Heart Flutter, Although shifting gears might get Old Now!

61_FL_Apache 08-21-2017 07:39 PM

Paul, I know the feeling well and it really sucks.. When I sold my 61, it was because we needed the money, not due to lack or use. I miss that truck too.. Someday, I will be in something again.

FleetsidePaul 08-22-2017 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcrahn (Post 8022008)
Hey Paul, when you wrote "That garage was packed like a sardine can" I can totally relate. I'm maxed out up here in NorCal.

People living in the burbs of Cali are limited on space. I envy guys in the midwest, TX and the south that have land and a shop, a real shop to store several cars with enough room to work on them.

Someday, someday I keep telling myself.....

Tell me about it. We can't park overnight on the street. So you have to squeeze everything in.

I had to walk sideways to get through the garage.

special-K 08-22-2017 09:22 PM

Do they allow 4-post lifts in the driveway? No? Who are these people? :lol: