The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Paint & Bodywork (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Learning to weld all over... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=796636)

Andy4639 11-14-2019 07:40 PM

Learning to weld all over...

4 Attachment(s)
I've welded on golf carts most of my life but this dang sheet metal is tough! It's not forgiving either.

I'm getting better as I go but man you have to be careful are you blow a hole right through it.

I spoted in a piece on the inside and then cut another to sit flush with the outside and tacked it into place. I think it came out OK for never doing it before.
:lol::lol::lol:

hugger6933 11-14-2019 09:42 PM

Re: Learning to weld all over...

Andy what size wire are you using? A .023-.025 will make such a huge difference between the normal .030-.035 that most welders normally are set up with. I was so bad wanting to put a v-twin in my gas ezgo but sold the cart and then somebody stole my vtwin . Still think of it now and then. Jim

Andy4639 11-14-2019 10:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugger6933 (Post 8627211)
Andy what size wire are you using? A .023-.025 will make such a huge difference between the normal .030-.035 that most welders normally are set up with. I was so bad wanting to put a v-twin in my gas ezgo but sold the cart and then somebody stole my vtwin . Still think of it now and then. Jim

Not sure what size the wire is. I'm using the welder at my friends shop. I haven't even looked. I bought a gas bottle for it and he said use it up. I'm trying to!

I got a smok'in deal on mine if you want it. V twin built to the top of the line parts. 6500 RPM all day long. It's a nice ride. It will pick those 27" front tires off the ground if you want it to.
:chevy:

Custom 68 11-14-2019 10:49 PM

You need to make sure it's set up to use the gas. If he wasn't using gas before it may be Flux core wire and the polarity is wrong. The pics don't look like Flux core so I'm guessing it's right.
Good luck and keep going it's looking good

franken 11-14-2019 11:38 PM

Purists wouldn't have used a backing bit of steel but carefully fit the patch and butt welded.
I'm no great welder to have an opinion, but yours look welds look good.

Andy4639 11-14-2019 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Custom 68 (Post 8627265)
You need to make sure it's set up to use the gas. If he wasn't using gas before it may be Flux core wire and the polarity is wrong. The pics don't look like Flux core so I'm guessing it's right.
Good luck and keep going it's looking good

Dave it is. I filled his bottle for him since I'm using it.:chevy:

Andy4639 11-14-2019 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franken (Post 8627296)
Purists wouldn't have used a backing bit of steel but carefully fit the patch and butt welded.
I'm no great welder to have an opinion, but yours look welds look good.

That is what I did. I tacked the first insert to the inside of the cab. Then cut another to lay inside the opening and tacked it into place.:chevy:

mongocanfly 11-15-2019 08:10 AM

Andy...you never want to double up on metal like you did..your inviting a place for water ..then rust..plus the double thickness of metal will cause more stress...
cut your patch to fit the hole with very little gap...i like a gap because the weld seems to penetrate a little better...get your self some copper to use for a backer..youll be amazed at how good it works...with the copper you can run the heat a little higher and have a flatter weld thatll need less grinding
ive used some of those welding magnets and panel clamps from eastwood to hold my patchs in place
also like stated above use a .023 ez grind wire...

Jrainman 11-15-2019 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8627371)
Andy...you never want to double up on metal like you did..your inviting a place for water ..then rust..plus the double thickness of metal will cause more stress...
cut your patch to fit the hole with very little gap...i like a gap because the weld seems to penetrate a little better...get your self some copper to use for a backer..youll be amazed at how good it works...with the copper you can run the heat a little higher and have a flatter weld thatll need less grinding
ive used some of those welding magnets and panel clamps from eastwood to hold my patchs in place

Thats all good advice rite there , just make sure if you do have to change over to .023 wire you check your wire feed Roll and make sure to use the rite groove in the feed roll for the gauge wire you set up in the welder , the roll is usualy marked for what gauge each groove will handle.

Andy4639 11-15-2019 10:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8627371)

I guess I could grind the inside piece out and it should be OK right. I just put enough tacks to hold it in place.

The hard part will be getting the grinder in there.

hugger6933 11-16-2019 10:43 PM

On top of changing the feed roller to the right size don't forget to change the nozzle on the welder to correspond with the wire I'm sorry I did'nt tell you all that in my first post.

davischevy 11-22-2019 11:32 PM

Andy, you are a braver man than me. My welds are so bad, no way would I take a picture of them. :lol::lol:

Andy4639 11-22-2019 11:58 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8631554)
Andy, you are a braver man than me. My welds are so bad, no way would I take a picture of them. :lol::lol:

A grinder does wonders!
I had my buddy who is retired welder instructor come over and set the machine up for me. We then welded up the passenger side rocker and cab corner. Not bad at all once he got the machine right. The door lines up almost perfect. I'm just a tad off at the back but for the first time I take it.
Drivers side may be a different story though.
:lol:

wixthedog 11-23-2019 11:17 AM

I've seen much worse! I've always enjoying working with metal much more than wood, I find it easier to fix mistakes and save yourself.

Keep it up!

nsb29 11-23-2019 06:47 PM

Looks like sum one was bound and determined to have speakers in the door

Andy4639 11-25-2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsb29 (Post 8631878)
Looks like sum one was bound and determined to have speakers in the door

Yea at some point that hole will be filled up to!
It did help to get all the window stuff out of the door though!:lol: