The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Highlander interior before and after (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=631907)

jocko 06-09-2014 11:09 PM

Highlander interior before and after

5 Attachment(s)
Been workin on this turd for quite a while. But it's time to move, so I needed to button it up for the trip. Still awaiting seat belt retractor parts, but that's about it. Still need to bolt in the seat also (a little off center in the pic).

The previously mentioned noticeable gap in the driver's (and passenger) side outer cushion area where the back and bottom met turned out to be nothing more than a new seat foam issue. Took it all apart and examined it compared to the original GM foam and it was just not quite right in the lower seat back areas on the outer edges. Ended up going back to my original 72 foam and it took care of the issue. No visible gaps between the back/bottom now. Glad that got resolved. Found it a bit of a challenge to get all the plaid to line up in straight lines, but I'll live with what it ended up as.

Because of the pending move, had to put off the door rehab project - so, will fill the speaker holes and paint the doors at some point in the future, just wanted to make them semi-presentable for now. Redid the dash, added a tach and vac , and finally resolved my temp gauge/sender issues. All the gauges work, which is kinda nice for a change. And added in a factory am/fm that sounds pretty darn good through a single factory speaker. Nice and tinny, just like I like it :) Added an AM/FM antenna and a splitter for that inevitable CB radio install thread... I wonder if there's even anyone to talk to on that thing anymore. have a few stuffed away in boxes that have never been used, and will be nice to stick it in without an extra CB antenna. But, that's for another day.

Now if I could just get my doors to shut after the new seal install... Ha. They're coming along. Hopeful they will loosen up a bit after sitting in the sun still.

Anyway, a special thanks to Tim at Truckseats - this was no easy task to get the highlander plaid with the scrollwork, appreciate your perseverance. Also thanks to Tom for the tach/vac tin and Brian Mac for his HUGE help on the temp sender issue I had. Also Wes over at Classic Heartbeat - thanks for several small parts and the dash bezel and lens and the perfect carpet - they are top quality, very pleased. LedZepp - Scott, was a pleasure to meet you, you probably wondered what ever became of the dash pad I bought from you when I picked up the green door... And Pete, thanks so much for reproducing the Main/Aux fuel tanks selector sticker - that made my day.

70cst 06-09-2014 11:16 PM

Re: Highlander interior before and after

Very nice job. :metal:

thelonerife 06-10-2014 12:30 AM

I love it!

9teen69 06-10-2014 12:35 AM

Looks clean...love the plaid!

FirstOwner69 06-10-2014 12:41 AM

Beautiful!

Ol Blue K20 06-10-2014 12:49 AM

Looks great Jocko....did I miss something, where you moving to....

jocko 06-10-2014 01:02 AM

THAT'S a great question - don't know for sure yet! But my time workin for uncle sam is comin to a close. Gotta go find a job. Trying to find something near Phoenix/Mesa, but pretty wide open for now.

YBNORML 06-10-2014 01:10 AM

Looking great! I just can't get enough of these interiors, it really finishes the trucks off nicely.

leftybass209 06-10-2014 01:18 AM

That's a good look!

leddzepp 06-10-2014 01:24 AM

Mark- It was very nice meeting you as well. That interior is awesome! The seat just steals the show. Congrats on getting to move where you want and best of luck in finding a new job.

Ol Blue K20 06-10-2014 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko (Post 6713935)
THAT'S a great question - don't know for sure yet! But my time workin for uncle sam is comin to a close. Gotta go find a job. Trying to find something near Phoenix/Mesa, but pretty wide open for now.

Well I hope this "coming to a close" means a retirement and moving on to a more relaxed employment. ...Best of luck finding what ya want where ya want. :metal::metal:

jocko 06-10-2014 02:41 AM

ha, no, just round 1 of retiring. which really just means a career change nowadays.

Bluechevy68 06-10-2014 07:31 AM

now that is show quality!

DeadheadNM 06-10-2014 08:41 AM

Awesome work Mark! Glad you put the decal to use. How did you get the door panels clean - plain old elbow grease?

Lee H 06-10-2014 08:58 AM

Very nice! Question for you, any special reason you went with parchment VS black belts? I wrestled with that when I redid mine.

yfs200p 06-10-2014 09:36 AM

That looks very nice. That scroll in the center really makes the difference. I wasn't up for jumping through the hoops to get that done on mine, and kind of wish i had. Quite the improvement!

alsriv2 06-10-2014 10:21 AM

Really like the clean lines and look of that interior. Great job on bringing back to life.

KEL 06-10-2014 11:38 AM

It really is amazing what a seat can do !

Lanman1972 06-10-2014 11:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Just installed mine this weekend, Loving me some 70's Plaid! Dog matches perfect!

jocko 06-10-2014 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 6714163)
Awesome work Mark! Glad you put the decal to use. How did you get the door panels clean - plain old elbow grease?

Nope, not much elbow grease involved in that - the originals were even worse than they appear in the picture - very stained, etc. I replaced em with a better set! :) I do plan to resto the originals when I get a chance, but they may be candidates for a redye or paint.

jocko 06-10-2014 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee H (Post 6714191)
Very nice! Question for you, any special reason you went with parchment VS black belts? I wrestled with that when I redid mine.

Lee, I went with parchment because it had the original parchment belts still on it when I bought it from the original owner. I've occasionally seen parchment with black, but have always thought that parchment belts were the norm with a parchment highlander seat. Hope I didn't screw the pooch, but that is what was on it and they were very "original" (i.e. pretty trashed)

Lee H 06-10-2014 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko (Post 6714429)
Lee, I went with parchment because it had the original parchment belts still on it when I bought it from the original owner. I've occasionally seen parchment with black, but have always thought that parchment belts were the norm with a parchment highlander seat. Hope I didn't screw the pooch, but that is what was on it and they were very "original" (i.e. pretty trashed)

Mark, I have always heard, and research indicates parchment or black belts are factory correct with parchment interior, I don't know about highlander. I went with black belts because the column, carpet and dash pad are black. I do have a very nice set of parchment belts, I'm going to put them on for awhile now that I've seen yours. Cheers, Lee

jocko 06-10-2014 12:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I think your belts look great in black Lee - parchment buckets with black houndstooth - a great look. I had to go double check my "highlander files" - here's what I found from original sales brochures for the highlander, but who knows what happened in the factory... Ha! Yours looks great with black, and white would probably look great also, especially since you have both black and white in your houndstooth inserts.

Lee H 06-10-2014 12:56 PM

After seeing the sales brochures it's clear parchment is the right choice! Black would not look right. Kudos.....

leddzepp 06-10-2014 01:48 PM

Truck could have come with either black or parchment seatbelts. Both look good, but black won't get dirty ;)