The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Learn from My Mistake - LIFT GATE ACTUATOR KIT (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=809828)

oski6754 07-29-2020 01:54 PM

Learn from My Mistake - LIFT GATE ACTUATOR KIT

Hi All,

I'm not usually one for griping online, however, I'll make an exception in this case! ;)

Here is the story: I had been kicking around the idea of adding modern/gas charged lift gate supports to my vehicle this summer given the increased use the tailgate gets.

After doing a bit of research, I purchased the "67-72 SUBURBAN LIFT GATE ACTUATOR KIT" sold by Brothers Trucks. While a bit pricey, at $130 ($99 parts, $21.50 shipping, $8.50 tax), I thought the better functionality/reliability was worth the splurge.

Had the fit and function of the new supports been perfect, that would probably would have been the end of the story, however, the "extended length" of the supports was a fair bit shorter than the OEM supports, so I did a little more research.

What I found is that the EXACT product I was shipped from Brothers is available on Rock Auto for $30 ($19 parts, $8 shipping, $3 tax). Link to parts page here > https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/ul...t+support,1404

I'm all for paying a little "marketing markup", but $100 markup is extreme in my book. Sadly, while I would return the supports to Brothers and just re-buy them from Rock Auto, but I'd have at least $50 in the deal between shipping both ways and Brothers' 20% restocking fee.

This falls in the "fool me once" category for me. I hope others can learn from this and save themselves some hard earned $.

Ol Blue K20 07-30-2020 10:37 AM

Re: Learn from My Mistake - LIFT GATE ACTUATOR KIT

Quote:

Originally Posted by oski6754 (Post 8783842)
Hi All,

I'm not usually one for griping online, however, I'll make an exception in this case! ;)

Here is the story: I had been kicking around the idea of adding modern/gas charged lift gate supports to my vehicle this summer given the increased use the tailgate gets.

After doing a bit of research, I purchased the "67-72 SUBURBAN LIFT GATE ACTUATOR KIT" sold by Brothers Trucks. While a bit pricey, at $130 ($99 parts, $21.50 shipping, $8.50 tax), I thought the better functionality/reliability was worth the splurge.

Had the fit and function of the new supports been perfect, that would probably would have been the end of the story, however, the "extended length" of the supports was a fair bit shorter than the OEM supports, so I did a little more research.

What I found is that the EXACT product I was shipped from Brothers is available on Rock Auto for $30 ($19 parts, $8 shipping, $3 tax). Link to parts page here > https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/ul...t+support,1404

I'm all for paying a little "marketing markup", but $100 markup is extreme in my book. Sadly, while I would return the supports to Brothers and just re-buy them from Rock Auto, but I'd have at least $50 in the deal between shipping both ways and Brothers' 20% restocking fee.

This falls in the "fool me once" category for me. I hope others can learn from this and save themselves some hard earned $.

Wow! That is quite a mark up. Thanks for the heads up

HO455 07-30-2020 12:49 PM

Thanks for pointing it out.

60sIron 07-31-2020 12:36 PM

Wow not good. Thanks for the heads up. One question. How much shorter is the lift? Thanks in advance.

oski6754 08-03-2020 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 60sIron (Post 8784840)
Wow not good. Thanks for the heads up. One question. How much shorter is the lift? Thanks in advance.

The extended lengths of each new support is half an inch shorter, which translates to a couple inches in decreased of opening height.

Given my overall setup (2" suspension lift, 30" tires, and I am 5'11"), I am not banging my head on the open hatch now, but a lowered Suburban with a taller owner might . . .

The fitment isn't the end of the world, and the supports are a big improvement over OEM, I was just chapped to find out I overpaid by a wide margin.

FLYNAVY30 08-05-2020 07:37 AM

I'll see if I can dig up the part number, but if memory serves me correctly the struts I'm using on my Suburban are off a Volvo station wagon...I think I paid $40 for both on Rock Auto and they hold the door up as high as you could possibly get it.

lks dcvn 08-05-2020 10:40 AM

I would love to see the kit used for Blazer hatch lifts as well - cheapest I could find was $150 before tax/shipping for a set of plates/bolts/struts.

Same theory - cost of parts off is likely way cheaper than $150.

Beach-Burban 08-05-2020 11:24 AM

The Beach-Burban had a set of lifts on the hatch that were completely dead when I got it, so I bought a new set online from "Lift Support Depot" for $18.90 each. Easy install for me because the ball studs were already in place! They are USA made by "STRONG ARM", model 4220 (which I believe does fit the Volvo Wagons as FLYNAVY30 said). Specs are: 21.50 extended; 12.75 compressed and 81 lbs of force (goes up very nicely, plus it's very comical watching my wife try to close it!). I feel very confident that the hatch won't come down on us while sitting on the tailgate. These would be way too HD for the Blazer hatch, though!

Woody

HO455 08-05-2020 11:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Years ago I replaced the factory truck springs in a 73 Challenger with some struts I got from Mcmaster Carr. I got a fish scale and used it to get an idea how much lift I needed then divided that number by 2 and bought the nearest rated struts. I went to the nearest over pressure as struts in my experience will always loose pressure over time.
They even had ones you can bleed off pressure to get exactly what you want in lift. (One time only)
I think I was into it about $60 when I was done.

https://www.mcmaster.com/lift-struts

oski6754 08-06-2020 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lks dcvn (Post 8787398)
I would love to see the kit used for Blazer hatch lifts as well - cheapest I could find was $150 before tax/shipping for a set of plates/bolts/struts.

Same theory - cost of parts off is likely way cheaper than $150.

The kit for the Blazer/Jimmy is identical as sold by Brothers. Get the threaded ball studs at your local auto parts store and buy the struts at RockAuto for a $35 solution.