The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Header advice (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=22573)

BadHabit 08-26-2002 08:29 PM

Header advice

I would like to hear from anyone as to what they think are a good set of 1 5/8" headers for these trucks with small blocks. I am not even sure what I have on there now but definitely want them gone soon due to rattling.

JIMs70GMC 08-26-2002 09:14 PM

I bolted on a set of 1962 vette ramhorns w/ 2.5" center. New castings paid $86 a piece. Had 2.5" pipe run out behind the rear wheels through summit "welded" mufflers.

diehardrider 08-27-2002 10:26 AM

what about headers for a 4wd with a big block.
What would you guys do to find one that fits?

DaHateTank 08-27-2002 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by diehardrider
what about headers for a 4wd with a big block.
What would you guys do to find one that fits?

I used the Hedman engine swap headers, when I put the 396 in my Blazer. Had to put a SMALL notch in the right framerail, to clear the tube. The frame bulges out there, anyway. If the framerail was straight (ie. like a piece of channel iron) it woulda fit OK. The notch is REALLY mild, if ya didn't know it was there, you wouldn't see it (unlike the notches shown in the caddy engine threads :eek: )

My engine is moved forward an inch, to gain firewall clearance. (I don't like the hammer tactics.) If it was in the stock position, they mighta been OK w/o the notch, or maybe required a small ding.

On the other side, I had to put a ding in one tube, to clear the motor mount. I used the stock 350 mounts, big block spool mounts might have cleared.

Despite all these things, it took a whole 30 minutes, to change the headers, when they rusted out (about 7 years). all in all, Ive had alot worse times, with car headers, that were used in 100% the application they were listed for...

They were pretty cheap, and I actually was pleasantly suprised, by the fit...

Recently, I looked at a '80s Suburban, that had a 454 swapped in, He used Hooker Super Comps, and they looked to fit pretty good, as well... Im pretty sure his engine is in teh stock location, with factory parts (He has a couple big block parts trucks)

HTH

-M

GMC71k20 08-28-2002 02:48 PM

I have dynomax cerama-coat headers on my 71 with a 350. they were only a little over 200 and are warrantied for life, even against rust.

diehardrider 08-28-2002 03:00 PM

thanks for the reply Tank
Ill look into those headers. Thats very helpful.
My biggest problem is that somone else did the swap.
I might be putting a new BB and built 700r4 so i might wait till then and do everything the right way.
The way i think i might go is order through Auto zone so i can return the headers and it wont cost me anything and i dont pay for shipping. Then i can try some until i find the ones that need the least modifications.

BadHabit 08-28-2002 06:41 PM

Thanx GMC71k20

That is what I was looking for. So I take it there were no clearance issues. Also, are those full lenght or shorties?

DaHateTank 08-28-2002 11:25 PM

another thing to do, if you're gonna swap motors, is pull the front clip off.

take off the bumper, disco the wiring harness and radiator, undo a few bolts, and two guys can lift it off pretty easy.

w/o the front end on it, it was easy to put in the engine, and dink with the headers, etc.

-M

diehardrider 08-28-2002 11:46 PM

id love to pull the front clip but from my last truck i have this fear of not putting things back together.
But if i do go for the swap pulling the front clip is something i will do.

GMC71k20 08-29-2002 02:44 PM

badhabit, they are full length and i had no clearance issues at all. they are coated inside and out. they came with everything you need from exhaust manifold gasket to the collector.

BadHabit 08-29-2002 03:09 PM

headers

Thanx Jim...BadHabit...