The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   No panhard bar with trailing arms?? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=275637)

**grumpy** 01-25-2008 07:32 AM

No panhard bar with trailing arms??

I'm sorry if this has been covered, but I didn't see it anywhere.

Can I run 2- 20" angle bars from the rearend backwards to a crossmember along with my stock trailing arms on my 64, instead of using a panhard bar?

I did a homemade notch, and didn't leave myself much room to run a panhard that wouldn't be real short.

Any advice or pics would be great.

I appreciate it.

redsled04 01-25-2008 07:45 AM

Re: No panhard bar with trailing arms??

Im not positive but I dont think it will work. Your stock arms will bind were there bolted to the rear end. Cause theres no bushings. It would hold it side to side but through out up and down travel it wont work.

1LoC10 01-25-2008 08:50 AM

like a watts link? http://totallypolished.com/watt's_link_kits.shtml

Slmd92DIME 01-25-2008 10:24 AM

I highly doubt it will work cause it will need a pivot point on the forward arms. Think about it. The axle will need to rotate having the bars from the rear or front. There is not pivot out of the stock arms where it is bolted to the axle..

**grumpy** 01-25-2008 12:02 PM

Yeah, makes sense once I picture it in my head.

Thanks.

guess I'll try to make a panhard bar work.

Slmd92DIME 01-25-2008 12:43 PM

i have seen many trucks with a diagonal bar that goes from one link bar to the other. They refer to it is a "trac bar" I have never done this so dont hold me on it on how great it works. Get some pics up of your rear and we can try and help you find a place to put your panhard. Just an option..

XXL 01-26-2008 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slmd92DIME (Post 2545882)
i have seen many trucks with a diagonal bar that goes from one link bar to the other. They refer to it is a "trac bar" I have never done this so dont hold me on it on how great it works.

A setup like that wouldn't keep the rear centered. Something needs a frame mount point or the rearend gets to walk from side to side.

**grumpy** 01-28-2008 05:56 AM

Thanks guys.

My camera is MIA, so you'll just have to close your eyes and imagine;):lol:

I was reading posts here, and think I may consider a watt's link.

I see they are sort of expensive. Has anyone used the $69. watt's that Speedway sells? It looks like it should work....?!

I'd go that route if that one would work.

Opinions?

1LoC10 01-31-2008 08:55 AM

holy crap XXL you belong to alot of clubs...lol

jkaylor68gmc 01-31-2008 09:34 AM

I agree that it will not work, it controls side to side movement. You should be able to fab up some mounts for a panhard. It centers the rear-end. I would jut work on the centering the rear-end and installing a panhard.

502tripower 01-31-2008 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkaylor68gmc (Post 2555246)
I agree that it will not work, it controls side to side movement. You should be able to fab up some mounts for a panhard. It centers the rear-end. I would jut work on the centering the rear-end and installing a panhard.

As jkay said...What you have described will not work. I think you would be best relocating the panhard bar. Good Luck

LONGHAIR 02-03-2008 01:56 AM

If you have space in front of the axle, you could fabricate a "sliding wishbone". It will keep the rearend centered and still allow the suspension to travel w/o binding.

**grumpy** 02-03-2008 01:12 PM

I guess I don't know what a sliding wishbone is.......

Pics maybe??

LONGHAIR 02-04-2008 01:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I couldn't find a decent picture, so I drew a quick little sketch. In the drawing the wishbone is red. It is nothing more than tubing with rod ends. You need brackets, similar to a 4-link, to mount it to the axle housing. A new crossmember goes between the frame rails. These points pivot up and down allowing for the suspension travel. The front point, the black line, is the "sliding" part. It allows the wishbone to change length as the suspension travels. This eliminates any binding from the mounting points having different lengths.

Theoretically it can mount either way...The single point could be on the axle housing and the other end on the crossmember. It could be mounted behind the axle too, wherever you have the most space for it. As I drew it, seems easiest to me. It uses most of the same space already needed for the rest of the suspension parts. Plus it is easier to weld the brackets to the housing instead of what would be a casting on most rear-ends.

mdmontess 02-04-2008 07:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
other Watts Links from kplinks.com that is what i am getting :metal: