The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   350/350 Starts in gear. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=665495)

ssuesens 03-30-2015 09:46 PM

350/350 Starts in gear.

Hi
My son has a 1971 C10 with a turbo 350 automatic transmission. Tonight we were replacing the fuel line (changing from a hose between fuel pump and carb to hard line). After that job was complete he showed me how "cool" it was that he could start his truck in ANY gear.:metal::fry:Obviously not good!

What are the obvious things I should I check?

enaberif 03-30-2015 09:57 PM

Re: 350/350 Starts in gear.

Neutral Safety Switch under the dash near the column.

ujsf01 03-30-2015 10:13 PM

I agree, neutral safety switch. It should be mounted on top of the steering column tube down close to the firewall. There will be two connectors, one is for the reverse lights, the other is the neutral safety portion. I think you'll find either the switch is bad or someone has by passed it at some point. Easy fix, though.

hugger6933 03-30-2015 10:26 PM

It is the big purple wire I think some one may have done you the "favor" and bypassed the switch by twisting the two ends of the purple wire together eliminating the switch all together. The switch may have gone out at some point or lesser still gone out of adjustment and instead of fixing it right they fixed it for good. That happens on older stuff when people start getting tired of that ride or their money is low and they have to do whatever to ride. It does make for some cruddy repairs sometimes and also makes for dash fires and underhood fires and things like that as well:lol:. Jim

LockDoc 03-30-2015 10:34 PM

-
It's at the bottom of the column. There will be two purple wires connected to it. You may be able to adjust it. If you loosen the mounting screws (1/4" head) it will move side to side a little bit.

The shifter linkage adjustment will affect the activation of the switch also. Does the gear shifter indicator line up with the letters on the indicator lense?

LockDoc

MagmaJct 04-04-2015 11:35 AM

Ugh, I've got the same issue. With my truck, not my kid!

I've started it up in gear (automatic) a few times without realizing it. The choke has never worked right on my Carter AFB, so at times I have to give it a little gas to keep it idling. Imagine the surprise on my face when I nearly drove into the gate!

I have a list of repairs I need to make to my steering column, in no particular order:
1) Horn activates at random, pulled the relay in the interim.
2) Gear selector does not pull back unless I simultaneously push the fulcrum at the base forward. (Anti-theft device?)
3) Neutral safety switch does not function.
4) Hazard light knob busted.
5) Gear indicator no longer lights up.
6) Reverse lights don't work.

One of these days, I'll pull the entire column apart and rebuild the whole thing!