The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Tools, Shops and Shop Safety (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   *Craftsman* (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=810047)

Zippi 08-02-2020 05:50 PM

*Craftsman*

2 Attachment(s)
Picked up a couple Craftsman cabinets yesterday. Put them together today and put in place. Nice quality and made in the USA. Well at least I liked that part. Not to sure about "With Global Materials"
Having trouble with multiple pics in one post.

Zippi 08-02-2020 05:55 PM

Re: *Craftsman*

1 Attachment(s)
Pic #2

Zippi 08-02-2020 05:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pic #3

Zippi 08-02-2020 05:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pic #4

PGSigns 08-02-2020 07:18 PM

Steel may be what came from overseas. I have 2 of the short ones in the shop and they work good for storage.
Jimmy

truckster 08-02-2020 08:41 PM

Currently, Craftsman is basically assembling Chinese-made parts in the US and calling it "Made in USA". That's set to change in the not-too-distant future, though:

https://toolguyd.com/craftsman-hand-...y-news-052019/

If they go back to building some of the quality that they used to, I might be happy to go back to buying Craftsman.

In any case, your storage looks really good. Congratulations.

tim71 08-03-2020 08:16 PM

I really like what I can see of your truck.

Zippi 08-03-2020 08:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim71 (Post 8786666)
I really like what I can see of your truck.

Thanks. 49

special-K 08-04-2020 07:50 PM

It used to be that when manufacturing jobs were first sucked away from the American worker, to soften the blow, products would say "Assembled in...". Now that it's a common fact that we don't make hardly anything, to soften the blow they now add on to the end, hoping you stop reading at "Made in USA" they say with parts from anywhere but the USA". Oops, I mean "global parts". I never made bicycles for my kids nor did I claim to be a bicycle manufacturer. But I did assemble them all on Christmas eve. I guess my kids' bicycles were "Made by dad (insert my picture) with global parts" :rolleyes: We are living in the wonderful world of smoke and mirror deception

Zippi 08-05-2020 07:05 AM

I still remember the TV repairman from sears would come to the house and slide the corner of the console TV out, open his 6 shelf tool box, and place his mirror in front of the TV as he started replacing bulbs. He didn't seem like much of a repair guy as all he seem to do was replace bulbs and watch in the mirror to see if there was now a picture. He may have not known what he was doing but they were called TV repairman and they made house calls. I even remember a doctor coming to my grandmothers house a couple times when I was there. Don't see that anymore in my neck of the woods. Maybe in rural areas.

special-K 08-05-2020 08:32 AM

I have an Electrolux canister vacuum. In '06 not long after my wife left I get a call from the authorized repairman that my vacuum had been repaired and the bill was $189. I knew nothing about what problem I had, just picked it and added $189 to the total of what my wife had stuck me on :lol:. When I paid I learned what was repaired was the device that shuts it off once the door for the bag is opened. First time I vacuumed it shut off on me. I wasn't too happy, but I was nice to the older man when I called about it. He offered to come to my place to save me the additional trip. And I guess he figured it was a simple matter, didn't need to be left with him.

He comes over, turns it on, doesn't run, opens the access door, slaps it shut, and it ran. He said that was common from the hose being pulled while in use and sometimes they needed to be slapped shut. Well, that is what the machine is designed for, tag along as the hose pulls it forward! So I might have paid $189 for a new switch installation when all it needed was the door opened and slapped shut. Then, to add insult to injury, he changed me a $25 trip charge for something he could have explained when I called him! I Yi Yi! :lol: I still do have the vacuum and it still works the same. It has outlasted the Shark that worked a half dozen times that cost more than that repair bill

4u2nv 08-07-2020 06:47 AM

Styling ! matching cabinets for the truck .
Looks good.

truckster 08-07-2020 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zippi (Post 8787334)
I still remember the TV repairman from sears would come to the house and slide the corner of the console TV out, open his 6 shelf tool box, and place his mirror in front of the TV as he started replacing bulbs. He didn't seem like much of a repair guy as all he seem to do was replace bulbs and watch in the mirror to see if there was now a picture. He may have not known what he was doing but they were called TV repairman and they made house calls. I even remember a doctor coming to my grandmothers house a couple times when I was there. Don't see that anymore in my neck of the woods. Maybe in rural areas.

As a kid I remember when the repairman would run the degausser over the screen - it looked magical to me.