The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Tools, Shops and Shop Safety (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Antique drill press (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=774514)

68panelman 11-04-2018 08:54 AM

Antique drill press

3 Attachment(s)
Found an old Craftsman drill press a few days ago cheap, well got them down a lot because of malfunction issue, they said it worked great last week, people are funny haha. Problem is the motor spins, but once a load is applied, it stalls to a stop. Now the reset button on motor won't reset. I know nothing about electric motors and would like to keep the original one because of matching paint scheme. Can these old ones be rebuilt?, Are parts still available for them?. Gonna call around on Monday and see what I'm in for. I just love the look, like and old 50's tool.
Also got an old-school grinder with stand that functions great. Time for an entire garage rearrangement. One of many winter projects to do.

truckdude239 11-08-2018 03:37 PM

Re: Antique drill press

Are you sure its a motor? An dnot a gear slipping inside of the gear box?

68panelman 11-08-2018 06:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the reply.
Actually today I was on the phone with a local guy who rebuilds electric motors and sells them, and he's going to check it out for me he says it's probably a capacitor, or some other gizmatchee. So I took it off today and found this under the base, I'm assuming this is the capacitor? Or the malfunctioning piece?
There is no gearbox, just an pully drivin arbor to electric motor pully, all spin freely.
I also ran the numbers on the base of the drill and it dates to 1956. Cool

Dead Parrot 11-09-2018 12:45 AM

On a more modern motor, the capacitor(s) are the things that look like Mickey Mouse ears from an end on view. Possible that thing under the base is a 56 version. Also likely that it is bad. Sometimes powering them up a few times will fix them. Sometimes they will explode. Don't be too surprised if it returns from the repair guy with a round one.

I know what you mean about about old style look. I got a Canadian General Drill press off a govt surplus site a while back. Early 70s edition IIRC.

68panelman 11-09-2018 07:53 AM

Sounds like a good one if the military had it, throw up a picture if you don't mind.

Dead Parrot 11-09-2018 05:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are a few. The round thing on the motor is the capacitor. Many months after I had this one home, cleaned up and working, the auction site had a real antique tool for bid. Can't remember if it was a drill press or bench grinder. But it had a plate labeled US Army Air Corp. Didn't have room for it at the time.

At some point, this one had been left to rust outside. But after some time with a wire wheel on an angle grinder and some lubrication on the moving bits, it works fine. The green paint on the cast parts of the head is original, the rest is a close match Rustoleum rattle job.

68panelman 11-09-2018 08:12 PM

Nice vintage looking machine. A near match for the Detroit diesel green, love it!!!.
Brought my motor in this afternoon, the guy said bearings alone are $80, plus diagnostics, and labor=$$$.
Found a replacement A.O. Smith motor for $89 on Amazon, so for now I will get that, four bolts, throw on belt an go. I'll play with the original later

67swb72klb 11-09-2018 09:10 PM

That's a good old drill press I have seen many over the years. My brother has the table top version it too is a work horse for a smaller unit