The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Product Reviews (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=236)
-   -   edelbrock and holley foam air cleaners fire hazard (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=199286)

barepaint 05-13-2006 05:45 PM

edelbrock and holley foam air cleaners fire hazard

1 Attachment(s)
edelbrock and holley foam air cleaners fire hazard...was enlightened to this fact by a couple of great guys on this sight...so I pulled mine off...guess what the foam is eatten away already after less then 500 miles...looks melted...was also adviced the don't filter well...Thanks to them My truck is not roasted...I wanted to pass this along...this truck had not ever backfired thank god...

texascowboy593 05-13-2006 05:59 PM

Re: edelbrock and holley foam air cleaners fire hazard

Mine backfired with one of those POS filters on and the foam blew out then got sucked down into the carb... Didn't mess anything up. I got lucky!:o

barepaint 05-13-2006 07:50 PM

texas cowboy...nice ride...oil well....I a refinery supervisor...worked in houston...high rise construction...loved the old trucks got the fever there...take a yankee compliment...son is texan...jefferson davis hospital houston born 12 26 81...brought back memmories...thanks

texascowboy593 05-13-2006 09:07 PM

Thats good to hear. Glad you enjoyed your time here!

barepaint 05-13-2006 11:15 PM

was a pup then left at twenty two...been told still have a draw though...but wear hh boats and wrangler shirts and my hat...fit there more then hear sometimes...

cableguy0 05-14-2006 01:48 AM

while your on a safety kick. throw away that fire hazard of a fuel filter. the glass fuel filters are notorious from cracking then leaking fuel on the hot engine. fuel and heat dont mix all that well

barepaint 05-14-2006 08:58 AM

cable guy I will take that under advisement also...but I draw the line with seat belts I AM NOT WEARING THEM IN THE TRUCK AND WON'T WEAR A HELMET EITHER ON A BIKE...but no one said I was to bright but I can lift heavy things...freedom is worth it....My kids better though....Ohhh light a smoke:hc: and be a hydocrite :dum:

cableguy0 05-14-2006 02:47 PM

lol my truck never had the seat belts put back in it after i pulled the interior and painted last spring. i agree on that and helmets should be a choice

barepaint 05-14-2006 08:13 PM

just got back from a 150 mile cruise...looked all over for a edelbrock elite tri air cleaner locally...no luck got to order it .com...

chevy_fatman 05-14-2006 11:16 PM

Glad you removed that POS air filter from there, just ask longhornman how he liked his...

barepaint 05-15-2006 09:43 PM

longhorn gave Me the scoop orginally...edelbrock use to be a quality company...no so sure now...even the new valve covers are starting with a little rash...chrome just ain't chrome anymore...found some blue powder coat on ebay debating that...not supposed to rust or peal

Lippyp 05-17-2006 06:26 AM

I had the same filter, one sticking inlet valve and one backfire through the carb and I had crispy foam stuck to the inside of the hood and a hole in the filter. Got a stainless steel K&N on there now, filters better and loooks better too.

67chevemall 05-17-2006 08:27 AM

Yep, I had one on my Camaro for two days first backfire tuning the engine and bam it was on fire.....bad day...

Throw them far away....

72BLAZERDUDE 05-19-2006 06:07 PM

Looks cool but a POS. My son never had a backfire but the thing started to fall apart after about 500 miles so in the trash it went.

Bowtie468 06-14-2006 09:42 AM

They are definately " trash " in my opinion ! They are a cool looking filter, especially atop a blower with twin mixers, but i cant believe they are still around. I mean they were junk when they first came out in the way early 80's , no design change to the foam, and here we are 25 years later and they are still screwing people with them ! I dont get it , but i know to avoid it !!

barepaint 06-16-2006 07:30 AM

changed the damn thing to eldebrock elite and got rid of the chrome glass fuel filter started to leak on the manifold...pics later...spend the money on something better...fires are not cheap...I been looking at jet boats and they seem to be popular on them...scary considering the nature of inboards are even more fire prone...later

barepaint 06-22-2006 09:05 PM

4 Attachment(s)
The right one thanks for advice

Nolowrider 06-22-2006 09:52 PM

Yeah, I had two of them on a tunnel ram about 20 yrs ago. They did look good sticking out of the hood, but they didn't last long. Dried up, got brittle. Stick with a good quality cleaner.

magooster 07-21-2006 08:37 PM

I never liked the look of those foam filters anyway. As far as the fuel filter goes, I had a K&N billet one on my '72. Man that thing is awesome. It has a little filter disc inside that you take out and wash, then put it back in. It always had lots of sludge on the "fuel in" side of it, and none on the "fuel out" side. Looked cool too.

bryanw1968 08-15-2006 01:55 PM

Hmm....
I'm actually running one of the glass filter. I like them because you really can see what you are catching. Now, good points on how dangerous the could be. Magooster, can you show me a pic of the K&N fuel filter you have on your ride?

The only other thing I've considered besides what's available at your local parts house is like a $100 Mallory setup. I don't really want to spend that much on one. What is everyone else using?
:fb: