The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Squarebody Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Rodstored-72's 1986 DD build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=794677)

Low Elco 06-22-2021 11:27 PM

Re: Rodstored-72's 1986 DD build

Any chance on getting a shot of the can? Doing tanks shortly and would love to know, those look great!

rodstored-72 06-23-2021 03:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lo. Elco, I think this is what you are referring to? if not here is the type of paint I used on the gas tanks and appertances... hope this helps.

updates to come soon... some not so good...:m6::waah:

Low Elco 06-23-2021 09:37 PM

Yup, that's what I needed, thanks!

rodstored-72 06-23-2021 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 8936025)
Yup, that's what I needed, thanks!

cool!! glad that I could help. good luck!!:ito:

rodstored-72 06-23-2021 11:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, I know it has been a while, but now that I have some time, I thought I would update the build…. Some good things and some bad things…. Good stuff is I figured out the wiring and fuel line routing to finally install the tanks & put the bed on. I ran the wire from the ’13 truck fuel pump to the new ’87 tank switch in the cab. I then ran the 2 power wires from the switch to the tank valve and 6wire pigtail. The fuel line(s) I ran from the tanks (all was stock location) to the valve and then a single line to the corvette fuel pressure regulator/filter and then to the factory ’13 fuel line from the engine. A good friend helped me with all of this and his help was very appreciated. I must also mention that I was lucky enough to get A LOT of help and guidance from Jason Bowman at the BIG10 GARAGE here in the valley.

rodstored-72 06-24-2021 12:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Now, with the tanks, fuel lines and wiring all in place and routed good I decided to have my good friend help me with mounting the bed back in place. With my friend’s help & precision eye of my wife and daughter we were able to mount the bed with very little scratching & on the first try!... wwhheeeeww!!!:smoke: The filler necks and screwing the necks back onto the bed was a challenge, but with some patience, I was able to get it all back together.

rodstored-72 06-24-2021 12:25 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Well last of the good news…. The truck is basically back together… all the big items are taking care of. Here is a pick of the truck right after the big push for the major work done and a picture of the last of the good news…. I guess you guys are able to see the “good” addition….:metal:

rodstored-72 06-24-2021 12:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
well unfortunately it is time for the bad news....:waah: on my family's way back from vacation we were involved in a accident. THANK GOD it was just us and no one else was involved! it was my fault and just stupid on my part! nothing was wrong I just misjudged a passing opportunity....:waah: that is all i want to share.. hopefully you guys will understand. the very good news out of the ordeal is that the wife & daughter are both ok with no injuries:metal: me though (I guess I deserve it) received 2 compression fractures in my lower back & will be wearing a back brace for atleast 5 weeks!:waah: soo.... no truck work during that time, not that as of now I really feel like doing anything - mentally or physically. overall i feel VERY BLESSED that is the worst. the tahoe is fixable & we don't have to try to buy something right now. just a bad deal for a while :waah:
pics.....

lunatic1968 06-28-2021 10:49 AM

I'm glad everyone is ok and hope for a speedy recovery.

rodstored-72 06-28-2021 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lunatic1968 (Post 8937695)
I'm glad everyone is ok and hope for a speedy recovery.

thank you ...appreciate;)

Palf70Step 06-30-2021 07:31 AM

Very glad to hear that everyone is OK. Take your time and get healed up and hope ya recover quickly.

rodstored-72 06-30-2021 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 8938452)
Very glad to hear that everyone is OK. Take your time and get healed up and hope ya recover quickly.

thanks!! I am planning to do just that. :ito:

TKCR 06-30-2021 06:18 PM

Oh no, when I came to the bad news, I was expecting to hear that. Glad your all somewhat ok. Sore, I’m sure. Get yourself healed up.

rodstored-72 07-01-2021 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 8938654)
Oh no, when I came to the bad news, I was expecting to hear that. Glad your all somewhat ok. Sore, I’m sure. Get yourself healed up.

tina (tkcr), thank you! yea it is a bit of a set back... but I am Very glad that I was only one hurt. I am "bracing" myself for this to be a slow recovery. I am hoping (going to try to) use this as a rebuilding opportunity to..... (as 6million dollar man)... build back better...stronger ;) :lol:

rodstored-72 11-18-2021 11:48 AM

ALL. My recovery has been/gone good. I am finishing up with phys. ther. & slowly getting back in the garage. I have been able to knock a few items off the "to-do" list :ito:. I will post some update stories and the obligatory pics that are always desired soon :metal:....

THANK YOU!!! guys for your support & well wishes!:metal:

SCOTI 11-18-2021 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodstored-72 (Post 8997243)
ALL. My recovery has been/gone good. I am finishing up with phys. ther. & slowly getting back in the garage. I have been able to knock a few items off the "to-do" list :ito:. I will post some update stories and the obligatory pics that are always desired soon :metal:....

THANK YOU!!! guys for your support & well wishes!:metal:

Good to read!

rodstored-72 11-21-2021 09:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
well after reviewing my thread I realized that I did not include the information about my wire harness to the fans. I scoured the 2013 engine harness diagrams & after looking at them & alot of help from a friend, I was able to make a harness the utilized the factory X3 harness at the underwood fuse box. I believe I set it up so that one fan comes on with the engine start up & then a second fan kicks in when it reaches the standard temp for the original (2013) engine setting…. But don’t hold me to that. If questions arise, I will check back with my friend & he will remember how it was done. Now onto the pic….

rodstored-72 11-21-2021 09:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Working on the drive shaft was the last thing I did before the accident. I bought new u joints for it and installed those. It was a typical install of them so I won’t bore you with the details. I sanded it with a 36 grit disk on my air grinder and then wiped it down with brake cleaner and then wax & grease remover. I let it dry & then painted it with some of the left over paint I used on the tanks!:ito:.. I think it turned out pretty good:metal:. I have no idea how it will last spinning at a gazillion RPM!:lol: But it look pretty good for now.

rodstored-72 11-21-2021 10:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
So a few weeks ago I started back on the truck:bann:. I had the wonderful wife and daughter help me, they were able and patient enough to lift & move stuff for me as needed. I took a page from “N2TRUX” playbook & decided to clean the back side of the front bumper. I used a sanding disk & got all the years of grime & debris off. I then used medium sand paper to get rid of the disk marks. After that I used a red scuff pad to scuff out the sanding marks, finally I used a fine steel wool pad to give the surface a nice sheen!:smoke: I probably did not do justice to ken:lol:… but I am happy with the final look!!:hm:

rodstored-72 12-13-2021 11:06 PM

I will throw a post in here related to the wiring. I followed the pinout info. From lt1swap (Brendan). Between his info and my GM engine diagrams I believe :rolleyes: I have the engine, computer, and DBW pedal all connected correctly. Finally :thud:I also got the OBDii port wired correctly. Talking with a friend with the hp tuner software, not to mention nudging from a few board members… I FINALLY figured out the correct pin assignments to read the ECM!... :bann:!! Below is the obdii port pin out. This is for a E38 ECM from a 2013 chevrolet Silverado.
Pin 1 thru pin 3= empty
Pin4= signal ground
Pin5= chassis ground
Pin6= ECM pin28 (2500) tan/blk canbus(+)
Pin7 thru pin13= empty
Pin14= ECM pin27 (2501) tan canbus(-)
Pin15= empty
Pin16= batt. (+) const. power
For me I used pin J5 from the “X4” connector (640) red/wht wire for pin 16.

rodstored-72 12-20-2021 08:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
So over thanksgiving day my great nephews indicated to me that they would think it would be cool to help uncle jake on his truck… how cool right! … so… I set up a time for each to come over. I had the twins first help me with taking the bumpers off and take off the inner grille. I of course had to give a quick garage safety class along with a tool name & use course, they obviously thought that was the boring part of the day… over all I think they enjoyed some, I of course got the most benefit!... along with almost free labor. They insisted on going to a burger place for burgers and fries! so I again taught them that anytime time while working in the garage and you break for lunch you have to go to the gold standard…. In&out burger! Overall, it was cool & I hope that they will look back on the time in a fun memory. Below are a few pics to make them “known on the internet” …..

rodstored-72 12-20-2021 08:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The following weekend I had my other nephew over to help me with installing stuff back on & he also helped me with installing new items too. He of course got the same shop safety lecture as well as the tool name & use guided tour too. He says it wasn’t THAT boring, but I know he was just saying that to be nice…LOL. So, since I did it for the other nephews, he obviously had to have the same lunch experience…. So, after a few hours of hard labor, I treated him to the mandatory in & out burger experience. Once again, I think he enjoyed the time and I obviously had a very cool day too! In order to keep it fair I am posting a few pics to make him “internet famous” too.

TKCR 12-20-2021 09:24 PM

That’s nice to see the kids helping out in the garage.
Got a question though, did you guys install the grille without the center moldings & bow tie?

rodstored-72 12-21-2021 10:31 PM

TK, thanks!! I went ahead and installed the grille because I am not sure yet what I am going to do related to the inner trim pieces. I don’t want to spend the $100 to buy the trim and inner color strip, so… I am thinking that I might look into creating a custom version of it myself. I think that glass/mirror chrome trim edging and a strip of real thin alum. (Like soda can thickness) to recreate it?? Just not sure yet…:cool:
Also, I think I might put a chrome bowtie instead of the typ. gold version… if I can find a chrome version that will fit? Maybe a newer truck model??? Anyways just still debating….:bowtie: your or board Thoughts???:smoke:

rodstored-72 12-21-2021 10:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I decided to knock out a couple things on the truck. I for now want to keep the factory engine cover. I wanted to “spruce” it up some, so I scuffed it up and then wiped it down with brake cleaner and grease remover. I then tediously taped off areas and spray bombed it with my rattle can red. After a day of drying, I then taped off the red areas & then sprayed with semi-gloss black. After letting it dry, I installed it in its place. I think it turned out pretty nice :devil: