The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Electric power steering (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=831998)

chevyguyase 03-13-2022 01:52 AM

Electric power steering

5 Attachment(s)
I installed an Electric power steering in my '54 Chev 3100. EPAS from a 2005 Toyota. I'll post a few pictures. If you are interested in any more information, let me know I'll post more. I was searching for this info I didn't find much. Attachment 2177044 Attachment 2177045
Attachment 2177046 Attachment 2177047
Attachment 2177048

SCOTI 03-13-2022 12:40 PM

Re: Electric power steering

That's a pretty cool mod. You should absolutely share your details. Someone, @ some point in their project will be seeking info for ways to improve/enhance their driving experience. The people that stick around & the exchange of ideas is what makes these forums so great.

The Rocknrod 03-13-2022 02:27 PM

That's pretty cool. Hope to hear and see more of the specifics myself. :)

weim55 01-17-2024 01:28 PM

Saw your input in another AD power steering question. This is exactly what I had in mind for my '50 3600. When sourcing the Prius unit at the wrecking yard did you grab the input and output steering shafts and then graft/machine/weld etc. to the original cut/spliced '54 shaft?

Thanks,

Steve weim55 Colorado

chevyguyase 01-17-2024 08:02 PM

Hi weim55. I would take the whole steering column from the steering wheel down to the lowest part of the shafts. Make sure you get all the electrical connectors that go to the ECU, they are hard to get. you'll need a splined connector to weld to the bottom shaft. It is a 3/4" round x 36 splined 11/16" (17mm). the factory upper splined shaft is easy to work with. Your factory shaft is 3/4" round. I cross drilled the connector plus welded it to the lower shaft. you can also cut your shafts to accept a double D connector.

weim55 01-18-2024 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyguyase (Post 9277504)
Hi weim55. I would take the whole steering column from the steering wheel down to the lowest part of the shafts. Make sure you get all the electrical connectors that go to the ECU, they are hard to get. you'll need a splined connector to weld to the bottom shaft. It is a 3/4" round x 36 splined 11/16" (17mm). the factory upper splined shaft is easy to work with. Your factory shaft is 3/4" round. I cross drilled the connector plus welded it to the lower shaft. you can also cut your shafts to accept a double D connector.

Doesn’t sound too difficult. I’m lucky enough to have a home machinist right across the street from the house, the rest I can fab/welded here in the garage.
My VW wagon turned me on to electric power steering for the first time. Marvel at how seamlessly perfect it works, all the time. it does not have some of the minor quirks of older hydraulic steering. There is also plenty of room under the dash of these old trucks to fit and keep it hidden out of sight. Sniffed around the net on the subject and came up with a list of wrecking yard donors.
Thanks for posting the example, it was quite timely. I look forward to putting it together in the near future!

Steve weim55 Colorado

3drburb 01-18-2024 10:24 PM

I have never seen this one before. Friggin Awesome!

Joyridin 01-19-2024 08:00 AM

If you just want to add electric P/S, this place has all the pieces and kits you need. I have a unit from a Saturn Vue I installed on one of my other cars. I could not install it on my truck (68) as there wasn't enough room. I bought the unit for $50 off Ebay a few years ago and modified it using some of the electronics in this store.

https://epowersteering.com/

HO455 01-20-2024 06:11 PM

Are you using it in Limp Home mode or do you have some computer input to the servo?

chevyguyase 01-20-2024 08:46 PM

I am using mine in the limp home mode and it works and feels good. I seldom get on a highway, so it may not work for everybody. they sell different types of add on controllers, one uses gps to detect your speed and another is a potentiometer type set up. I might try putting a switch on mine just to see how it feels if I just turn it off on the highway, since it fails to basic manual steering. My steering and suspension is totally stock except for radial tires.