The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Diesel Conversions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=240)
-   -   1976 Chevy K30 Crew Cab Short Box Cummins Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=414168)

Dieselwrencher 11-01-2012 05:03 PM

Re: Project: B.A.D. 1976 K30 CCLB

I've been compiling a list of parts for this truck so I can try to get it going before the new year. I did get a 73-80 front clip for it, so the newer one is off of it. We happened to get a rebuilt diesel 47rh, so now I have to get my triple disc billet TC re stalled for this truck. I've been talking with the wife and the sun visor is coming off, and the truck will be a magenta color with upper and lower mouldings. The interior is going to be black now. Since this is her truck, she's getting to make some calls. (I hope the color doesn't bite me in the...)

tecky11 11-01-2012 05:06 PM

i doubt it. it was great meeting you in person too

jbclassix 11-01-2012 11:08 PM

For a while i was wondering if this was going to get sacrificed for your 67-72 crew build
Posted via Mobile Device

Mattman2010 11-02-2012 10:07 AM

That's a lot of work to get done. You and your dead lines :lol:, really looking forward to seeing this one!
Posted via Mobile Device

82ccshorty 11-05-2012 11:27 AM

when this truck was lifted the 22inch?(ithink thats what you said) was it drivable? as far as steering and stoping? im thinking about doing this to a truck/suburban and i need to get a parts list. Did you ever have shocks on it? what all did you have to use to correct the steering? as far as drop pitman arm, steering block? what all did you have to use for that? Thanks and awesome truck

68burbanontherocks 11-16-2012 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 82ccshorty (Post 5686646)
when this truck was lifted the 22inch?(ithink thats what you said) was it drivable? as far as steering and stoping? im thinking about doing this to a truck/suburban and i need to get a parts list. Did you ever have shocks on it? what all did you have to use to correct the steering? as far as drop pitman arm, steering block? what all did you have to use for that? Thanks and awesome truck

If ryan doesnt mind i think i could answer this question haha. First off you need to think about what direction you want to go with the truck... e.g. mall crawler, mud bogger, ect. If you are considering going with that big of a lift and tires (12" and heavy military 53's) i would strongly look at going to at least 2 1/2 tons. the 6.72 gear ratio will allow you to compensate with a under powered motor if thats the case. Again really depends on what your intentions are with the vehicle, as well as budget! But leafs run pretty bad when they get that arched cause they typically add leaf packs as well as if its going on a truck or even a suburban i would look at a dot tire cause the military tires are really friggen heavy and dont flex on rocks at all i think some of the bias ply ones are like 12 or 14 ply. I would look into a set of coils or nitrogen shocks and do a single or double triangluated 4 link. Also i would look into hydraulic steering unless you are wanting to do a frankenstein steering setup that at the end of the day your still counting on a stock pump to turn big heavy tires with alot of stress on the whole steering setup. Brakes if you run rocks go with pinion brakes 6 times as strong as wheel brakes but spin 6 times as fast so they heat up pretty quick.

I speak 100% from experience ha, i built my truck with big gawdy 25" leaf springs and 54" boggers and it ran like crap really stiff, very unstable and sucked driving anywhere.

So i pulled it apart built a tube frame chassis, running a double triangluated 4 link setup a blown alcohol injected 572 big block boggers and race blown nitrogen shocks.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=510400

If you have any questions at all please just ask and ill do my best to help as much as i can, hope this helps ya out a bit... sorry ryan for hacking your build thread its pretty schweet!

Dieselwrencher 11-16-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68burbanontherocks (Post 5705160)
If ryan doesnt mind i think i could answer this question haha. First off you need to think about what direction you want to go with the truck... e.g. mall crawler, mud bogger, ect. If you are considering going with that big of a lift and tires (12" and heavy military 53's) i would strongly look at going to at least 2 1/2 tons. the 6.72 gear ratio will allow you to compensate with a under powered motor if thats the case. Again really depends on what your intentions are with the vehicle, as well as budget! But leafs run pretty bad when they get that arched cause they typically add leaf packs as well as if its going on a truck or even a suburban i would look at a dot tire cause the military tires are really friggen heavy and dont flex on rocks at all i think some of the bias ply ones are like 12 or 14 ply. I would look into a set of coils or nitrogen shocks and do a single or double triangluated 4 link. Also i would look into hydraulic steering unless you are wanting to do a frankenstein steering setup that at the end of the day your still counting on a stock pump to turn big heavy tires with alot of stress on the whole steering setup. Brakes if you run rocks go with pinion brakes 6 times as strong as wheel brakes but spin 6 times as fast so they heat up pretty quick.

I speak 100% from experience ha, i built my truck with big gawdy 25" leaf springs and 54" boggers and it ran like crap really stiff, very unstable and sucked driving anywhere.

So i pulled it apart built a tube frame chassis, running a double triangluated 4 link setup a blown alcohol injected 572 big block boggers and race blown nitrogen shocks.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=510400

If you have any questions at all please just ask and ill do my best to help as much as i can, hope this helps ya out a bit... sorry ryan for hacking your build thread its pretty schweet!

Hey man, no problem here at all. If anyone argues with you, they don't have a clue. :lol: I'm all about putting the info out there so the more the merrier. :metal:

legendman 12-29-2012 06:33 PM

Great build, subbed, hope you finish it

dieselmec1993 03-08-2013 02:24 PM

grerat built wish i had my truck back with the 10 inch lift i had and 44's it road rough but was beautiful truck

mcbassin 05-22-2013 01:58 PM

Very cool project Ryan. I didn't realize you had so many irons in the fire....subscribed

Dieselwrencher 05-22-2013 08:32 PM

Mike, this truck is really on the back burner now. :lol: It's storage and a yard ornament until further notice. Haha

jbclassix 05-22-2013 08:33 PM

Do you have enough burners?

Dieselwrencher 05-22-2013 08:34 PM

No, that's why they're all not done. :lol:

msblackbetty79 07-27-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 4113410)
Back then, 8' boxes were bringing a premium. So being a novice at metal work, I'm not saying I'm a pro now, I purchased some bed patches and I welded all the DRW fender holes shut and installed patches to make it a SRW bed. Boy it sucked.
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z...s/100_0145.jpg
Here is a shot of lifting the rear some more.
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z...s/100_0456.jpg
And here is a shot of one other time when it was drivable, kind of. :lol:
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z...s/100_0536.jpg

this is an awesome project ryan! im kinda new to here but ive read this forum and ive decided to switch my plans! i got a question for ya though. ((on the bottom picture)). I love the stance of your truck, at that stage. could you tell me the size of lift you were running body and suspension? and also what size tire rim combo were you runnin?

this is an awesome truck man are you still wrenching on it??

glimmertwin01 01-11-2014 12:52 PM

i think it will look great as the 76 it is... although im partial to the round headlights. and high hood. i have only owned 2 short beds.. and wasnt too fond of them as I tend to use my trucks as trucks.. that thing will be cool as hell but not sure about Magenta... but I guess that will discourage you from using it....lol

Dieselwrencher 01-12-2014 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msblackbetty79 (Post 6192323)
this is an awesome project ryan! im kinda new to here but ive read this forum and ive decided to switch my plans! i got a question for ya though. ((on the bottom picture)). I love the stance of your truck, at that stage. could you tell me the size of lift you were running body and suspension? and also what size tire rim combo were you runnin?

this is an awesome truck man are you still wrenching on it??

Sorry for not responding msblackbetty79. If I remember correctly in that picture it had 6" springs in the front with the 4" tube inbetween the front spring hangers and frame, and longer shackles netting about 11-12". The rear had a shackle flip with 4" blocks. Then the body was stock, no body lift. The tires were 36" military goodyears with 16.5x9.75 american racing wheels. Thanks, I plan to finish it someday and it can be one of my kid's first vehicles. We shall see. :lol:

Dieselwrencher 01-12-2014 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glimmertwin01 (Post 6465189)
i think it will look great as the 76 it is... although im partial to the round headlights. and high hood. i have only owned 2 short beds.. and wasnt too fond of them as I tend to use my trucks as trucks.. that thing will be cool as hell but not sure about Magenta... but I guess that will discourage you from using it....lol

I think we dodged a bullet on the magenta as now the wife has an Excursion and I can do whatever with the old 76 now. On the short bed, I have plenty of long bed trucks and have never owned a 4wd short bed so I figured, why not. I'm planning on taking the front leaf springs from the Longhorn and putting them in this when I switch to air bags on the front of the Longhorn. Engine will probably be a p-pump 12v that Mathew, Brothers69C10, has as he borrowed it for mock up. It'll probably still get a 47rh and NP205 because I still have them for it. When will this all happen? Who knows really. :lol:

Dieselwrencher 07-02-2014 08:42 PM

There may be hope for this truck yet. :lol: I sold the front doors off it and my friend who baught them put the GM doors I had laying around back on it. I'm picking up a different bed this weekend for it, and have plans to put a 12v p-pump engine in it with a NV4500 and maybe a 241c tcase in it. This will happen after I can actually drive the Longhorn. I want to put this link on here for the GM hinges so I don't forget to buy these for it as well.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...number=6262007

Dieselwrencher 07-02-2014 08:48 PM

Here are some pics of the different doors on it. Poor truck. :lol:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...702_111442.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...702_111422.jpg

I will be going with the newer type of mirror that is on the LH front door. I have a pair of NOS mirrors I picked up a while ago for it. Plan is a cowl hood and a dark green metallic paint job with maybe a pewter center and new trim. We'll see if I can swing all of that.

COS399 07-02-2014 11:12 PM

Glad to see some progress. Keep it up. :metal:

mcbassin 07-03-2014 12:15 AM

Good progress Ryan. Love to see GM parts staying on the road:)

Dieselwrencher 07-07-2014 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 6746016)
Good progress Ryan. Love to see GM parts staying on the road:)

I'm trying to stay with as many facrory pieces for the body as I can. But it's getting tough for these pre 81 trucks it seems. :lol:

Thanks to my brother Nick and friend Adam, we went and picked up another short bed for this today. I plan to use the bed sides from this bed on my old floor. This bed came with an access toneau cover, a rust free tail gate, and an aluminum fuel cell. Not a bad deal imo.

COS399 07-07-2014 11:18 AM

Ryan your going to have to change the title name to CCSB. :lol:

Dieselwrencher 07-07-2014 02:23 PM

That's a good idea. :lol:

Ackattack 07-07-2014 10:01 PM

Re: Project: Little Truck 1976 K30 CCSB

Just think if I would have bought this thing before I bought my '97 someone would be driving it!