The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Air conditioner smell... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=588516)

Touchdown67 07-13-2013 07:09 PM

Air conditioner smell...

I have a 2009 Tahoe. I have noticed that the A/C air seems to have a dirty/moldy smell. I looked to see if there is a cabin filter but I guess they do not use a cabin filter any longer. Has anyone had this problem and figured out what can be done without taking it to the dealer for a $$$ repair?
Posted via Mobile Device

N2TRUX 07-19-2013 11:03 AM

Re: Air conditioner smell...

I have used Fabreeze with some success. It worked well on the last truck I sold but my 09 is being a bit more stubborn. I just spray it down the vents and let it sit.

MadManAndrew 07-30-2013 06:56 PM

My dad's Suburban is the same way. I can't stand it.
Posted via Mobile Device

MUDSLT 08-25-2013 01:14 AM

They should have a filter under the dash on the passenger side?

mcmlxix 08-31-2013 01:05 AM

I think there was a TSB for this....

TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 99-01-39-004D

Date: August 10, 2011

Subject: Air Conditioning Odor (Install Evaporator Core Dryer Kit and Apply Cooling Coil Coating)

Models:
2012 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Trucks
All Equipped with Air Conditioning

Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to add the 2011 and 2012 model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 99-01-39-004C (Section 01 - HVAC).

Condition

Some customers may comment about musty odors emitted from the Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) system at vehicle start-up in hot, humid conditions.

Cause

This condition may be caused by condensate build-up on the evaporator core, which does not evaporate by itself in high humidity conditions. The odor may be the result of microbial growth on the evaporator core. When the blower motor fan is turned on, the microbial growth may release an unpleasant musty odor into the passenger compartment.

There are several other possible sources of a musty odor in a vehicle. A common source is a water leak into the interior of the vehicle or foreign material in the HVAC air distribution system. Follow the procedures in SI for identifying and correcting water leaks and air inlet inspection.

The procedure contained in this bulletin is only applicable if the odor source has been determined to be microbial growth on the evaporator core inside the HVAC module.

Correction

Many vehicles currently incorporate an afterblow function within the HVAC control module software.

trendkill 10-24-2013 10:07 PM

The AC on my '11 extended cab sucks all together. I think it freezes up and makes a loud noise in the passenger vents, and blows a fog or something from the vent. Need to take it to the dealer while its under warranty still.

cedens 10-27-2013 03:10 AM

They took out cabin air filters several years ago IIRC, something with the newer a/c system they are not needed?