The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Blazer Top Install/Removal/Storage (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=784638)

lks dcvn 04-06-2019 01:54 PM

Blazer Top Install/Removal/Storage

It's been awhile since this topic came up and there are several new folks that are in the Blazer group now.

Can you all share your process for removing your single or double wall tops and how you store them when not in use?

I've seen ceiling mounted hoists, straps, etc. and figured somebody might have come up with something new.

grillzy 04-06-2019 05:29 PM

Re: Blazer Top Install/Removal/Storage

Buy a soft top. Take the hard top off with some friends and put it behind the shop and never look at it again.

Thealien 04-06-2019 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grillzy (Post 8501915)
Buy a soft top. Take the hard top off with some friends and put it behind the shop and never look at it again.

I sold my Jimmy 5+ years ago. That hard top is still behind the house. New owner didn't want to deal with it either. Has a nice hatch? If I end up getting another I might cut the front off for attaching a soft top?

hemi43 04-07-2019 09:50 AM

When I bought my truck, as soon as I got it home the top came off. I sold it the next day because I didn't want to store the damn thing. Softopper all the time. No regrets.

litebulblsc 04-07-2019 10:05 AM

Me and a buddy pulled mine off yesterday. It was a little too heavy for him, but we got it off with no new damage. Just set it out in the yard

CO71Blazer 04-07-2019 12:32 PM

I'm curious, those of y'all that live in snowy areas, how does the soft top fair in the winter? I live on the front range of Colorado and while we don't get the depth the western slope gets, we still get snow and cold. So, how does the soft tops fair in the winter?

litebulblsc 04-07-2019 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CO71Blazer (Post 8502258)
I'm curious, those of y'all that live in snowy areas, how does the soft top fair in the winter? I live on the front range of Colorado and while we don't get the depth the western slope gets, we still get snow and cold. So, how does the soft tops fair in the winter?

No personal experience, but I assume just fine in their garage ;)

CO71Blazer 04-07-2019 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litebulblsc (Post 8502273)

:lol: I'm sure they do, but mine is half feral and lives outside. lol

hemi43 04-07-2019 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litebulblsc (Post 8502273)

You got that right !! My Blazer is set to come out next week after its winter hibernation. Driving in snow wouldn't bother me, but the salt and brine they put on our roads does.

scott123 04-08-2019 04:04 AM

Having the same issue.

I spent a number of weeks off and on getting my top fiberglassed, prepped and painted the inside. The outside needs to be sprayed now and it has been in the center of the shop for a couple of months.

I'd like to see some hoists/ceiling mount set ups as well.

Although our winters are not brutal in NC and the amount of salt in my area used is minimal in comparison to other areas, mine hibernated this past winter as well. If we had a nice 50 degree day I gave it a 20-30 minute ride.

Looking for a better storage solution as well.

Scott

bmfm64 04-10-2019 11:11 AM

Following

mister.freeze 04-11-2019 02:22 PM

sub'd

Tuff Gong 04-11-2019 10:07 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I used (2) 2x6's and (4) straps to hoist mine up. I bought (4) long U bolts that I installed over the bottom cord of my garage framing. The U bolts allowed me to connect to the structure without drilling any holes in the joists. I ended up raising each one a little at a time until it was a few inches from the ceiling.

BobbyK 04-12-2019 10:17 PM

Here's the post I made about the lift I made for my top.

Works great.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=398105

https://images108.fotki.com/v1221/ph...zerstop-vi.jpg

PSYCHO_OUTLAW 04-14-2019 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyK (Post 8505711)
Here's the post I made about the lift I made for my top.

Works great.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=398105

https://images108.fotki.com/v1221/ph...zerstop-vi.jpg

nice looking setup... I was planning on doing something like this. But now I am thinking about just selling it and putting that money towards a soft top.

JDMPalace 05-04-2019 07:15 PM

Very cool setup !! Which brand of soft top you guys recommend?

Blazerowner 05-06-2019 11:57 PM

There’s only one place that makes them. Softopper.

NW One 06-12-2019 04:38 PM

2nd the put it in the yard for a single wall top. I took a old go kart and took off front tires, the "driver roll cage" kept one side off the ground and the front the other. Was able to scoot ot around when needed. Made a neat discovery when I put it back on, where the roll bar held up the back it had pushed back out a section of the top and it stayed that way. Guess the heat and sun helped it stretch back out and fall maybe cured it. Only two more sections to go and it will be sag free...that might be in two years!

JDSurge 06-13-2019 05:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I thought I would share my set up for taking the top off and moving it around. I didn't have room in my back garage for taking off the top and storing it so I built a BIG swing set. I bought the end pieces, which hold 4 x 4's legs and a 4 x 6 across the top. I put an 'I' bolt thru the middle so I could hang a chain hoist to it. I wish I would have bought an electrical hoist now, lots of pulling on the chain to get the top off. I attached 2 2 x 6's to the top, put in eye bolts there to remove the top and then attached 4 air tire wheels to move it around the back yard. Works pretty good. Not sure what I'll do when I finished the back yard.