The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=612422)

In The Ten Ring 07-17-2016 06:41 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Sparkplug holders
http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...pso0q9nkij.jpg[/QUOTE]

Are your heater core's inlet and outlet tubes sealed around with caulk?

In The Ten Ring 07-17-2016 06:44 PM

I figured out I need 1 more foam gasket for around the heater box tube opening than what I have. My one heater core tube is only large on the opening, not the shaft.

I cleaned out a hornet egg chamber that had been put into one of the blind holes on the heater box! I guess a hornet laid an egg there. I tell you....insects! You just can't leave anything out in the garage these days. :lol:

custom10nut 07-17-2016 07:09 PM

Well, I have my new dome light with Map lights ready to put in. I had to modify it so that the dome light will come on with the door switches (that I haven't installed yet). I got it from a late 80s truck, so the wiring set up is different. I had to cut the power connection and solder another lead to separate the power source. It worked the way I planned, so that was a plus. I also fashioned a new lense, because I didn't care for the white cover that it came with. It all tournedos out nice. Pictures to follow....

66clow 07-17-2016 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring (Post 7656152)

Are your heater core's inlet and outlet tubes sealed around with caulk?[/QUOTE]

It is some type of rubber caulking. the po said it is leaking around the bottom inlet. Hadn't gotten around to check it out. I think it is some work to get it out.

special-K 07-17-2016 08:18 PM

Put heads on. Discovered one bent push rod. Put headers on and spark plugs in. Went to a buddy's and got push rod for tomorrow to hopefully button up.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 07-17-2016 08:40 PM

Spent 3.5 hours cleaning my window regulators, only to confirm the LH side is what I figured it was, no good.

VWNate1 07-17-2016 10:47 PM

Windshield Wipers & Rain-X

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66clow (Post 7655801)
You live in so cal like me and giving windshield wiper advise? Lol You only use them maybe twice a year :haha: good advice tho.

Yes , because I grew up Down East where it rains constantly year 'round...

I also travel a lot so I use the Rain-X & wipers whenever I leave So. Cal. ;) .

OregonNed 07-18-2016 01:09 AM

5 Attachment(s)
A friend and I finally finished prepping the inner bedsides, front panel, inner fenders and rear wheel housings. We finished it off with my bright blue metallic paint. Now ready for the new red oak bed in a couple weeks.

Econman 07-18-2016 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OregonNed (Post 7656495)
A friend and I finally finished prepping the inner bedsides, front panel, inner fenders and rear wheel housings. We finished it off with my bright blue metallic paint. Now ready for the new red oak bed in a couple weeks.

Love the color, Nate!

Possmguts 07-18-2016 11:42 AM

Quote:

very nice... what kind of treatment did you do in the inner bed sides between the panels? Im in bed tear down mode right now...Going from steel to wood

hamjet 07-18-2016 07:41 PM

Changed the front wheel bearings, races, and wb seal today. for the last couple of weeks I was getting a slight vibration at 55 mph and a 'chirp' or click every once in a while. thought maybe a U joint but decided to check wheel bearings 1st. no clicking and no more vibrations. happy dance..

In The Ten Ring 07-18-2016 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66clow (Post 7656196)

It is some type of rubber caulking. the po said it is leaking around the bottom inlet. Hadn't gotten around to check it out. I think it is some work to get it out.[/QUOTE]

Oh gosh, the heater core was leaking so instead of fixing the leak, he just hid it. Geeze Louise!

The heater core isn't really that big of a deal to take off, I did it, but you really need at least 1 other person. Take pics as you go and label everything.

I am about to reassemble mine.

In The Ten Ring 07-18-2016 09:19 PM

I made some progress today: I was over at my parents' house anyway so I cut out the bracket that will hold my replacement windshield washer pump. I wanted to cut it out of 1/8" steel but dad suggested I use 1/8" aluminum since he had some scrap and it would be easier to cut.

I used my Dremel tool and although the piece ended up a bit bigger than the template (usually does, right?) I think it will work fine. I am going to place it up against the washer bottle bracket tomorrow to check the bolt holes and then finish the project.

GR8-68 07-19-2016 10:02 PM

Went in my air conditioned shop and sand blasted some of my small parts. Some progress is good progress :mm:

VWNate1 07-20-2016 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GR8-68 (Post 7658790)
Went in my air conditioned shop and sand blasted some of my small parts. Some progress is good progress :mm:

AC ~ in a Shop .

Next you'll be telling me they have HEATERS ;) .

GR8-68 07-20-2016 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWNate1 (Post 7658971)
AC ~ in a Shop .

:lol: It is a small utility shop, I can't afford a garage yet :smoke:

custom10nut 07-20-2016 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66clow (Post 7656196)

It is some type of rubber caulking. the po said it is leaking around the bottom inlet. Hadn't gotten around to check it out. I think it is some work to get it out.[/QUOTE]

If you have water coming out of your lower fitting, then most likely your heater core is leaking.
To answer the caulking question? I don't know, mine doesn't have it, but also doesn't mean it was never there.i would think from your picture, that a black silicon sealer would work.

Hopefully one of the experts has answer

VWNate1 07-20-2016 11:55 AM

I'm no expert but the black foam stuff is still available , I see it on Dealer and higher end HVAC Shop's repair works .

The heater core isn't difficult to replace , it's just takes a bit of time and your attention , you'll find leaves and debris in the heater box and plenums plus the diverter flap will be rusty , easy to clean and lube so it works like new again .
Keeping the heater core connected is an important part of the overall cooling system , take the time to reconnect it and do a nice job of it , you'll get zero heat bleed into the cab in Summer .

:chevy:

VWNate1 07-20-2016 12:24 PM

Working Space

Quote:

Originally Posted by GR8-68 (Post 7659041)
:lol: It is a small utility shop, I can't afford a garage yet :smoke:

Larry ~ don't crush my dreams here , O.K. :lol: .

I grew up Down East where Garages were always cold and wet (yes , even the Dealer and Service Station ones) , moved Way Out West and was amazed and pleased to see Mechanics working out side of any building , on an in ground hoist over *perfect* flat and smooth Concrete....

I'm an old geezer now and I still work out side on a cement slab out side albeit with a canvas canopy overhead these days .

An air conditioned shop is but a dream for me, always will be .

un4gvn! 07-21-2016 12:38 AM

4 Attachment(s)
This is what I do with old rusted, wrecked, dented, discarded hoods. I can unbolt this scoop from the underneath and run with out it. This scoop is made of all hood. Can you see the sections from hoods?
I tried everything to straighten out these pictures.

CST10 07-21-2016 01:05 PM

Nice looking scoops. Great idea too.

Andy4639 07-21-2016 02:58 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here you go!
Those are nice and metal too! Cool.
:chevy:

ohboy321 07-23-2016 07:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finished installing rebuilt steering gear, and painted the driver side fender with rattle cans (was black primer). Also painted the bumper white and the grill trim/bezels silver...all were painted a redish color many owners ago.

The steering gear made a huge difference. I painted the fender a jeep orange...all I can say is it isn't black anymore. I try to do a few cosmetic things every weekend.

everettelane 07-23-2016 08:29 PM

Ordered my new wiring harness, Looks like a pretty well put together kit I know its better than my existing one. American Autowire 1969-72 Chevy Pickup Truck Wiring Harness Kit 510089

Possmguts 07-24-2016 10:01 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Got these at the swap meet this weekend... Still not too sure about them. Wonder what doing them completely black would look like? Doing them the orange body color would probably be a bit much, but all black might work... thoughts?

magwakeenercew2jh 07-24-2016 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Possmguts (Post 7663014)
Got these at the swap meet this weekend... Still not too sure about them. Wonder what doing them completely black would look like? Doing them the orange body color would probably be a bit much, but all black might work... thoughts?

Ha! You asked this crew form thoughts? Dangerous, P.G.!!

:lol::lol::lol:

I know what *I'd* do....So, that's as good as I can say.

I'd not put a ton of energy into them...Wash 'em and clean 'em up a little, get rid of the raised white lettering on the tires, and then run 'em.

Later, if I liked what they looked like, I get some fat tires for 'em (if the ones on there need to be replaced for size/tread reasons).

Don't have time this a.m. to "do it right". But in a minute, I'll post your rendering with a quickie install on the rear.

https://magwa.smugmug.com/DrivewayRAT-32015/i-4fmKrWb

RickDeVon 07-24-2016 12:58 PM

Quote:

Very nice blue...you got a name and paint code...

Possmguts 07-24-2016 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magwakeenercew2jh (Post 7663088)
Ha! You asked this crew form thoughts? Dangerous, P.G.!!

I know what *I'd* do....So, that's as good as I can say.

I'd not put a ton of energy into them...Wash 'em and clean 'em up a little, get rid of the raised white lettering on the tires, and then run 'em.

Later, if I liked what they looked like, I get some fat tires for 'em (if the ones on there need to be replaced for size/tread reasons).

Don't have time this a.m. to "do it right". But in a minute, I'll post your rendering with a quickie install on the rear.

https://magwa.smugmug.com/DrivewayRAT-32015/i-4fmKrWb

lol.. I know, Im a glutin for punishment... but with the truck being a full frame off and still has a ways to go, they wont be ran on it without being restored first. I can have my tires mounted on 2 of them so I can at least get an idea before I dive full in I guess..

Metaldoc 07-24-2016 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWNate1 (Post 7658971)
AC ~ in a Shop .

I've got A/C and gas heat. I quit smoking and put the money there. 10 bucks a day for cigars is a waste and now I can work in my 75 deg shop all summer 70 deg in the winter.

Possmguts 07-24-2016 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metaldoc (Post 7663178)
I've got A/C and gas heat. I quit smoking and put the money there. 10 bucks a day for cigars is a waste and now I can work in my 75 deg shop all summer 70 deg in the winter.

75 is way too hot lol... I prefer the 68 range in mine lol... who am I kidding, I dont have A/C... but I do have heat :D

magwakeenercew2jh 07-24-2016 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Possmguts (Post 7663163)
lol.. I know, Im a glutin for punishment... but with the truck being a full frame off and still has a ways to go, they wont be ran on it without being restored first. I can have my tires mounted on 2 of them so I can at least get an idea before I dive full in I guess..

Yeah. We got people in the area that are glutin *free*.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Anyway, I hear ya about working on the wheels.
You got 'em now. So why not play with 'em if they aren't on the road?
Understood.

VWNate1 07-24-2016 03:03 PM

Quote:

Sure , just rub it in why don'cha ? ;) .

Saturday I was working in the shade of my canopy then had to go Junkyarding , got there just as the smoke all blew away so I got fried in the hot sun (108° F) and nearly passed out in the Junk Yard , had to grab the *one* bracket I desperately needed and left the rest for next week .

None of the Shops and Dealerships I I ever worked in had AC back in the day , now I occasionally walk a shop and marvel at the cool , dry air , color me JEALOUS ! :lol: .

Metaldoc 07-24-2016 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWNate1 (Post 7663276)
Sure , just rub it in why don'cha ? ;) .

Saturday I was working in the shade of my canopy then had to go Junkyarding , got there just as the smoke all blew away so I got fried in the hot sun (108° F) and nearly passed out in the Junk Yard , had to grab the *one* bracket I desperately needed and left the rest for next week .

None of the Shops and Dealerships I I ever worked in had AC back in the day , now I occasionally walk a shop and marvel at the cool , dry air , color me JEALOUS ! :lol: .

we are mid 90's and have been there for a while, high humidity and no rain. It's going to be hotter for next two weeks. My A/C is a window shaker, works great and cheap.

VWNate1 07-24-2016 04:42 PM

Affordable Air Conditioning

The sounds good to me ~ .

I have a 1923 flat roofed house (!BAD!) so I put a foam roof on it , this helped immeasurably with both heat and cold .

A few double pane windows was another big help as was putting a large box fan in a window to draw the refrigerator's heat out ~ a trick I figured out 40 years ago .

If ever i get off my duff i think an aircon window unit on the far side of the house should work out fine , the window fan will draw the cooler air through it .

Of course , if I could afford that , I'd prolly have my car (one anyway) re painted or buy parts for en engine overhaul....

You get the idea I'm sure :lol: .

74baggedbug 07-25-2016 12:25 AM

My cousin (poweredbychevy) and I swapped out the steering column on my 68.. Pretty easy and straight forward.. Gonna install the lokar linkage and steering wheel tomorrow after work

In The Ten Ring 07-25-2016 12:52 AM

I pulled an all nighter last night just in case those prowlers wanted to pay me another visit. I was hoping to be able to stay up all day also but that didn't work so I ended up taking an unplanned nap!

I did though, get some work in on my new windshield washer pump bracket. I nearly have it finished and should be able to get it bolted to the bottle bracket tomorrow.

GR8-68 07-25-2016 05:52 AM

Sandblasted and primed some more of my small parts last night :chevy: Some headway is better than no headway ;)

kilrcady 07-25-2016 06:31 AM

Dropped spindles new shocks lowered resr springs adjustable trsck bar repack bearings. New front pads fix exhaust relocate gas tank to rear. New fuel lines. On the hottest weekend

Barnfind46 07-26-2016 01:32 AM

Started wiring my new gauge set. Hope to be back on the road by Oct.

In The Ten Ring 07-26-2016 01:43 AM

Quote:

God bless you! It's great to hear you quit. My brother is close to death since he refused to quit back when it still would have made a difference.

Yesterday (Monday) I got something done. I finished up the bracket that holds on the new windshield washer pump. It came out pretty good...oh it's not perfect but it'll do the job. Tomorrow I'll put it onto the truck and hook it all up in a few days (the plan anyway)!