The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Making Keys For The ’60 -‘66 Chevy Trucks (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=630654)

LockDoc 07-15-2020 04:09 PM

Re: Making Keys For The ’60 -‘66 Chevy Trucks

Quote:

Originally Posted by kens65fb (Post 8774338)
I received the re-keyed ignition cylinder, and door keys yesterday.

The keys work perfectly, and shipping was fast too.

Thanks again

No problem. Thanks for letting me know they arrived OK and you are happy with them.....

LockDoc

Short 3/4 07-16-2020 11:40 PM

What does it take to convert a 65 ignition switch to one with an accessory position? Do you have access to the necessary parts and can you make it work if provided a key code? This is something I've always wanted to do
Thanks,
Tom

LockDoc 07-20-2020 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Short 3/4 (Post 8776049)
What does it take to convert a 65 ignition switch to one with an accessory position? Do you have access to the necessary parts and can you make it work if provided a key code? This is something I've always wanted to do
Thanks,
Tom

Hi Tom,

You would have to install a switch with the accessory position and add the necessary wiring in your wire loom to make it work. It isn't anything I could do from here.

Thanks,
LockDoc

Short 3/4 07-22-2020 11:15 PM

Thanks for the reply. Learned a lot from reading this whole thread the other day, but it got me to thinking when I saw you had access to some vintage lock parts that you may be able to help. If I was to find a 60's car type ignition that has an acc position would you be able to do your magic and make it work in a truck? I of course understand I would have wiring issues to deal with.
Really appreciate all the knowledge you share with the group,
Tom

LockDoc 07-23-2020 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Short 3/4 (Post 8780215)
Thanks for the reply. Learned a lot from reading this whole thread the other day, but it got me to thinking when I saw you had access to some vintage lock parts that you may be able to help. If I was to find a 60's car type ignition that has an acc position would you be able to do your magic and make it work in a truck? I of course understand I would have wiring issues to deal with.
Really appreciate all the knowledge you share with the group,
Tom

That should be doable. I have a LOT of vintage lock parts. I may even have a switch, I will have to look. We have moved all of the furniture and are having carpet cleaners coming in the morning so it may not be until the afternoon.

Thanks,
LockDoc

Short 3/4 07-24-2020 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 8780818)
That should be doable. I have a LOT of vintage lock parts. I may even have a switch, I will have to look. We have moved all of the furniture and are having carpet cleaners coming in the morning so it may not be until the afternoon.

Thanks,
LockDoc

No hurry Doc, but that would be great if you could dig up a switch. Now that I finally have tunes in the truck, would be great if I could listen with the engine off.
Thanks,
Tom

LockDoc 07-24-2020 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Short 3/4 (Post 8781290)
No hurry Doc, but that would be great if you could dig up a switch. Now that I finally have tunes in the truck, would be great if I could listen with the engine off.
Thanks,
Tom

PM sent.....

LockDoc

ScottN795 12-01-2020 11:32 PM

Hey Doc,

This is an absolutely fantastic service that just isn't available many places these days! I have a 66 Suburban with a clam shell, 2 door locks and glove box lock. The ignition switch cylinder was replaced by the previous owner so it's new, works well and I have 2 keys for it. However, I don't have keys for the doors, rear hatch or glove box. Will the rear tailgate lock have a code on it like the doors? I just found this thread tonight and haven't checked to see if the doors both match or not yet. Is it possible to rekey everything to match the ignition? Or maybe if the others are all the same, it makes more sense to rekey the ignition? Just thinking as I type... All suggestions and input are welcome. Thanks!

LockDoc 12-02-2020 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottN795 (Post 8843533)
Hey Doc,

This is an absolutely fantastic service that just isn't available many places these days! I have a 66 Suburban with a clam shell, 2 door locks and glove box lock. The ignition switch cylinder was replaced by the previous owner so it's new, works well and I have 2 keys for it. However, I don't have keys for the doors, rear hatch or glove box. Will the rear tailgate lock have a code on it like the doors? I just found this thread tonight and haven't checked to see if the doors both match or not yet. Is it possible to rekey everything to match the ignition? Or maybe if the others are all the same, it makes more sense to rekey the ignition? Just thinking as I type... All suggestions and input are welcome. Thanks!

Yes it should have a code on it. I can key any of them to match any key or lock. Yes, you want to change the minimum number of locks to keep the cost down. If all of the other locks are the same then I could just change the ignition cylinder to match them.

LockDoc

ScottN795 12-03-2020 04:03 PM

Thanks Sir, this is great information. I'll pull the locks out over the next few days as I have a chance to see what I have and then go from there.

Thanks again!
Scott

LockDoc 12-03-2020 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottN795 (Post 8844367)
Thanks Sir, this is great information. I'll pull the locks out over the next few days as I have a chance to see what I have and then go from there.

Thanks again!
Scott

Sounds good.

LockDoc

Short 3/4 01-05-2021 10:35 PM

Just got the ignition switch you sent. Looks like what I need, now time to get to work. Whole point of this is to try and get an ACC position so I can listen to the radio. When I get it all figured out I'll try to post results, as I know a lot of others want to do the same thing.
Thanks for the help Doc.
Tom

LockDoc 01-06-2021 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Short 3/4 (Post 8859620)
Just got the ignition switch you sent. Looks like what I need, now time to get to work. Whole point of this is to try and get an ACC position so I can listen to the radio. When I get it all figured out I'll try to post results, as I know a lot of others want to do the same thing.
Thanks for the help Doc.
Tom

No problem Tom. It will be nice to see if it works out for you.

LockDoc

Asshat 01-23-2021 02:28 AM

Has anyone heard from Lock Doc? I sent him a message a while ago.

The Rocknrod 01-23-2021 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asshat (Post 8868297)

Yes, he's had surgery and his online presence is restricted until he's better.

Asshat 01-23-2021 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rocknrod (Post 8868324)

Ok. Thanks for the update.
I hope he gets some rest and has a good recovery.

LockDoc 01-23-2021 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asshat (Post 8868297)

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rocknrod (Post 8868324)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asshat (Post 8868335)
Ok. Thanks for the update.
I hope he gets some rest and has a good recovery.

Hey guys thanks, I'm back. I must have missed your message. I will go back and check them.

I'm just typing with one hand but I was never a very good typer anyway...:)

LockDoc

Rolland 10-16-2021 07:13 PM

Hello LockDoc, Hope your recuperation went well. For my 60 GMC, may I send you an ignition key along with 2 door locks to be keyed alike to match the ignition key? Thanks! Sending PM also.

LockDoc 10-16-2021 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rolland (Post 8984586)
Hello LockDoc, Hope your recuperation went well. For my 60 GMC, may I send you an ignition key along with 2 door locks to be keyed alike to match the ignition key? Thanks! Sending PM also.

All healed up and everything works as it should. Thanks.

Yes, you can send them. PM returned.

Thanks,
LockDoc

Rolland 10-25-2021 08:42 PM

Received the lock cylinders today. Thanks again LockDoc for a great job at a very reasonable price. I hope you all realize what an asset LockDoc is to these forums. The old time quality service he provides is hard to find locally these days!

LockDoc 10-27-2021 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rolland (Post 8988233)
Received the lock cylinders today. Thanks again LockDoc for a great job at a very reasonable price. I hope you all realize what an asset LockDoc is to these forums. The old time quality service he provides is hard to find locally these days!

Thanks Rolland. Glad you are happy with the locks and service.

LockDoc

karlbenz 07-15-2023 09:01 AM

PM sent

LockDoc 07-15-2023 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlbenz (Post 9220116)
PM sent

PM returned.

LockDoc

karlbenz 07-27-2023 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 9220159)
PM returned.

LockDoc

Thanks for the quick turnaround. Got them installed and everything works great:metal:

LockDoc 07-30-2023 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlbenz (Post 9223414)
Thanks for the quick turnaround. Got them installed and everything works great:metal:

Good deal! Thanks for letting me know.

LockDoc