The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Why bear claw latches? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=402521)

OKGMC4 05-13-2010 06:29 PM

Why bear claw latches?

I have no experience with these but it seems to be a common addition. Keep in mind my truck came with the doors sitting in the bed and I've never seen them latch. Are the stock latches really that bad, or do you have to have the bear claws to use things like electric lock and door poppers? Will someone give a good explanation for this without the "boy you're stupid" that I'm sure I deserve for asking. Also, I have a set of complete 70 Chevelle doors...could I just cut out those lock mechanisms and transplant them for the same effect while saving $100? Thanks in advance!

OrrieG 05-13-2010 07:16 PM

Re: Why bear claw latches?

The original style are notorius for letting the door pop open, especially when the hinge pin gets worn. If you look all that is holding the door closed is a cammed lever behind ramped plate. when everythings gets worn the door can bounce up and down and release. First thing I did in 76 when I got mine was install seat belts and child seat restraint. Never lost a kid but did loose a nice screwdriver and other tools that were laying on the floor when the door flew open going around a corner.

Having said all that I'm not ambitious enough to install the bear claw which completely wraps around the locking lug. I did get all new door latch hardware and rebuilt my hinges so I figure it should be good for the remaining 25 years I have left to drive then it will be one of my great grandkids problem.

mylow53 05-13-2010 08:51 PM

i was palming a right hand turn sitting in new jeans and a freshly armor all-ed bench seat (no seat belt it was 1984!!) when at 20 mph the drivers door opened. i went out the door and caught the stearing wheel on the way out with my right hand. i ended up completing the corner while standing on the running board... yes these doors can open when you least expect it!!! that being said i currently am running the original latches and have installed 3 point belts!
GT

57 3100 05-14-2010 04:29 AM

i too am researching the bear claw latches.
my door latches, that are only about 4 years old, are a real pain to get the door closed.
does anyone know if i should get the small or large bear claw latches for my 57 ?
some guys say use the large, some guys say small. does it really matter ?
i will be using the original inside and outside door handles.
thanks

leonard

entourageguy 05-14-2010 07:43 AM

still think these are good. A little pricy but on a finished truck like mine the money saved in repainting seems to work out. Plus they are vehicle specfic kits.

http://triquemfg.blogspot.com/2010/0...atch-kits.html

Tri5Nerd 05-14-2010 08:43 AM

I'm reseaching them too, Kabwe just did his with AutoLoc. I also read somewhere that someone said he used a soft top Jeep door lock, I don't know what the model was but it was heavy duty.

Tri5

scotts62 05-14-2010 09:21 AM

I know its a different year but i put bear claw latches in my 62 and thats the way to go, i had my door fly open on a turn too and talk about gripping the seat and pulling cotton out later! Now that will scare you!

I got mine at the local Rod and Custom show that comes to town every year, if i remember right the brand was Autoloc, they came with the weld in plates and all and they work good with door poppers.

Thadious 05-14-2010 10:51 AM

I pulled a set of YJ soft door locks from a wrecking yard in Oregon. Basically pretty much the same as the Autolocs and meet the maximum space requirement of 3/4" thick to go between the side of the door and the window channel. I bent up a pair of brackets from 18 ga steel and used the cover plate off my kids YJ for a cutout template.

The one thing that I found that you will have to consider with the soft doors is that (atleast my set anyways) has no provision for locking the latch. Two levers with only the capability to unlock the latch, nothing else. I decided to go with door poppers and shave the handles, so this wasn't an issue. If you decide to go with 52-53 door handles, they are lockable from the outside (if you buy the repop set that replaces the drivers button with a lockable one). However you will have to do some mods to change the push button to a lever action (was toying with this myself using pieces from a PT cruiser handle).

Cheers,
Ted.

56ClassicTruck 05-14-2010 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKGMC4 (Post 3974661)
I have no experience with these but it seems to be a common addition. Keep in mind my truck came with the doors sitting in the bed and I've never seen them latch. Are the stock latches really that bad, or do you have to have the bear claws to use things like electric lock and door poppers? Will someone give a good explanation for this without the "boy you're stupid" that I'm sure I deserve for asking. Also, I have a set of complete 70 Chevelle doors...could I just cut out those lock mechanisms and transplant them for the same effect while saving $100? Thanks in advance!

Hi OKGMC4, I am in the same predicament as you I was wondering if I can use the latches of the 94 Buick am using as a donner.

mobileortho 05-15-2010 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrrieG (Post 3974735)
The original style are notorius for letting the door pop open, especially when the hinge pin gets worn. If you look all that is holding the door closed is a cammed lever behind ramped plate. when everythings gets worn the door can bounce up and down and release. First thing I did in 76 when I got mine was install seat belts and child seat restraint. Never lost a kid but did loose a nice screwdriver and other tools that were laying on the floor when the door flew open going around a corner.

I owned a '49 years ago and while rounding a corner the passenger door flew open with my 6 year old son was hanging on for dear life. I highly recommend repairing or replacing the latch mechanisms.

panelrodder81 05-17-2010 05:46 PM

When looking at my Autoloc kit and my doors, from a '51, they actually fit almost perfectly in the stock location. Don't get me wrong here, I will still have some cutting and welding of the installation kit but I will only need to use a small amount of the installation plate. The locks themselves clear the window channel just fine.

Originally I installed the latches in my '53 doors just to test the installation process. Good thing I did that on my crappy doors first because I learned a lot but this is very do able.

I have the large, locking, double bear claw latches. (the kind with two latches, one on bottom and one on top) Here is a link to the units I have: http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/autol...c=bearclawdoor

Here is a link to a how-to on these units, but not into our trucks: http://files.thehoffmangroup.com/art...lawinstall.pdf

I will try and get some pics of my install and I move forward... but it might be a week or more because I am going to get my knee scoped on Wednesday!

alden 05-17-2010 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by entourageguy (Post 3975733)
still think these are good. A little pricy but on a finished truck like mine the money saved in repainting seems to work out. Plus they are vehicle specfic kits.

http://triquemfg.blogspot.com/2010/0...atch-kits.html

It seems like those are only made for the 54 and earlier doors, do they make a 55-59 kit?

57 3100 05-17-2010 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alden (Post 3982199)
It seems like those are only made for the 54 and earlier doors, do they make a 55-59 kit?

yep, they sure do...
http://www.triquemfg.com/1955-59_chevy_trucks.php

leonard

smittster 05-17-2010 08:39 PM

I ordered the Altman latches from truquemfg.com and they will be here this week. They
are bolt on but require some cutting of the door. I will be putting this on my 1950 GMC.
I also have a set of door hinge repair kits with oversize pins that I will have done at the
same time. My drivers side door does not open or shut very well and when I get it shut and latched tight I leave it and just use the passenger door to get in and out.

floridasteve 05-19-2010 03:39 PM

This is a no brainer if you have driven an old truck for some time. At one point or another they are going to open on you. Always when you least expect it and usually around a corner. I am no great fabricator but did my own and the door handle mechanism even lined up perfect. Well worth the investment. Cheaper than losing a passenger or having your truck drive off without you. I have install pics somewhere, will look to post

Fred T 05-19-2010 04:55 PM

You haven't lived until you have driven one of these old trucks in a snowstorm with a door that will not latch due to ice. First, the economy heater doesn't work that great and second the best way to hold the door shut is to hang your arm out the window. :lol:

mr48chev 05-20-2010 12:30 PM

Unless it has to be a spot on 100% perfect as original restoration I would not run the stock latches on any of my rigs nor will I sell one to someone else that I built with stock latches.

My wife actually fell out of the truck when she was leaning against the door and we turned the corner at low speed. Before that time she had a bad habit of sitting in the seat sideways and leaning back against the door when you went down the road in a vehicle. She still has some scars on her cheek and knee 32 years later.
It isn't fun to see the one you love going out the door backwards tailfeathers over tea kettle.

Just after I got my truck I did the same stunt in the same manner that Mylow53 did. If I hadn't had the window open and my arm ut the window I would have been on the ground that time. I replaced the strikers the same day but they tend to wear pretty quickly if the doors aren't all adjusted perfectly.

I have Kenworth truck latches in the 48. They used to be under ten bucks each new but do take some doing to mount. I'll probably use something different this time to get some that are easier to mount and hook linkage to though.