The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dash Bezel Painted or Chrome? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=842156)

custom10nut 02-12-2023 07:23 PM

Dash Bezel Painted or Chrome?

Were the Instrument panel bezels every “Chrome” from the Factory, or were they all painted Silver (Argent?)?
I’m thinking the Chrome is an Aftermarket fad that caught on, and still sells the most today.:smoke:
Since I bought my truck in ‘92, I’ve replaced my bezel twice because thePoor quality “Plastic Chrome” Fades and starts to look bad.
I’m thinking about taking one of my old ones and sanding the Crome off a repainting the trim with Silver, and the black with a Satin finish.
Would “Argent Silver and Stan Black be correct?
As a kid, I don’t ever remember seeing a truck with the Chrome.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 02-12-2023 08:00 PM

Re: Dash Bezel Painted or Chrome?

Quote:

Originally Posted by custom10nut (Post 9177937)
Were the Instrument panel bezels every “Chrome” from the Factory, or were they all painted Silver (Argent?)?
I’m thinking the Chrome is an Aftermarket fad that caught on, and still sells the most today.:smoke:
Since I bought my truck in ‘92, I’ve replaced my bezel twice because thePoor quality “Plastic Chrome” Fades and starts to look bad.
I’m thinking about taking one of my old ones and sanding the Crome off a repainting the trim with Silver, and the black with a Satin finish.
Would “Argent Silver and Stan Black be correct?
As a kid, I don’t ever remember seeing a truck with the Chrome.

Speaking for 71-72, at least, argent silver for standard Custom trucks, and chrome for Deluxe and above.

custom10nut 02-12-2023 08:32 PM

Interesting, thanks.
In all the years of owning my truck I never really thought about this detail, so now I have to dig out my original one to see if it’s painted:smoke:
My Dad had a 69 GMC, his work truck was a 70 C-10, and our neighbor had a 71.
I don’t remember any of them having Chrome.
I hope someone can confirm or deny this on the 67-70 models
I wonder what Factory Original NOS Bezel would bring today?
I haven’t seen one up for sale in a long time

Casper42 02-12-2023 09:39 PM

your memory could simply be that the chrome never looked chrome because the majority that we saw were worn off so badly. I know both my 69 and 72 (both GMC Sierra Grandes) were well worn during the 80's. I believe it's because back in the day, cleaning materials, such as 409, had harsh chemicals and destroyed that finish early on, even a truck that was just a few years old.

Quote:

Originally Posted by custom10nut (Post 9177947)
Interesting, thanks.
In all the years of owning my truck I never really thought about this detail, so now I have to dig out my original one to see if it’s painted:smoke:
My Dad had a 69 GMC, his work truck was a 70 C-10, and our neighbor had a 71.
I don’t remember any of them having Chrome.
I hope someone can confirm or deny this on the 67-70 models
I wonder what Factory Original NOS Bezel would bring today?
I haven’t seen one up for sale in a long time

too much stuff 02-13-2023 05:58 PM

If you are talking the chrome just around the gauges and not the whole bezel, i think 67s were silver, 68 was either way depending on the model and i think 69-72 were all chrome.
If you are talking the whole bezel being chrome, that was an aftermarket thing.

custom10nut 02-13-2023 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by too much stuff (Post 9178180)
If you are talking the chrome just around the gauges and not the whole bezel, i think 67s were silver, 68 was either way depending on the model and i think 69-72 were all chrome.

Nope, just talking about the trim around the gauges and outer rim

custom10nut 02-13-2023 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casper42 (Post 9177965)
your memory could simply be that the chrome never looked chrome because the majority that we saw were worn off so badly. I know both my 69 and 72 (both GMC Sierra Grandes) were well worn during the 80's. I believe it's because back in the day, cleaning materials, such as 409, had harsh chemicals and destroyed that finish early on, even a truck that was just a few years old.

That’s also interesting, entirely possible (Because they were all Farm/Work Trucks) and most likely.

special-K 02-14-2023 07:32 AM

Too Much Stuff is correct. I used to think they were all trimmed with chrome because I never had a '67 or a base '68.

The sun eats the plating up and so did cleaners like Spray 9. A lot of '72-up door panels got ate up by that cleaner. Cleaned them right up better than anything, but the material would soften and chalk up

Willie Makeit 02-14-2023 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by too much stuff (Post 9178180)

After fooling with these trucks for the better part of 30+ years, this is spot on.

CAMAROBOY68SS 02-14-2023 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casper42 (Post 9177965)

Yeah the chrome plated plastic of the late 60s and early 70's would have been worn off real quick as it was not durable at all. Similar thing happened with 68 Camaro's and their RS grilles. Caused just as much confusion for restorers trying figure it out its usage.

Grumpy old man 02-14-2023 11:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The original 3 gauge cluster in my 67 was painted argent silver , When restoring my new gauge cluster I went with the 67 chrome after market bezel just because it looks so much better , :chevy:

michael bustamante 02-14-2023 11:32 AM

i have a few 67 only`s and ive only ever seen the 67 as silver trim with a charcoal blck textured paint on em.
i say toomuchstuff is right as well