The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   A/C Bracket Help (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=841475)

Palf70Step 01-21-2023 02:22 PM

A/C Bracket Help

2 Attachment(s)
I was wondering if any one has a possible fix. I have factory A/V on my 70, but I also have a set of Original Micky Thompson Valve covers I'd like to use. However, they are a little taller than factory and the one A/C bracket won't clear it. Anyone figured out how to get a bracket that is taller or am I stuck with factory style valve covers?

I really don't want to go pancake style cause I already have all the new stuff in the factory style.

dmjlambert 01-21-2023 11:14 PM

Re: A/C Bracket Help

It looks like that bracket has a little bit of a bend in it. I wonder if you could cut a wedge-shaped notch in it in one or two places and bend it some more, and weld up the notches. Or mock up a shape using a piece of plywood, and when you find the shape that works have somebody fabric it for you or use it as a model to notch and bend the one you have.

cwcarpenter98 01-22-2023 12:56 AM

If there's a section of just flat steel, cut completely, make up a piece to lengthen and get the right bend, tack, test fit, adjust, finish weld, grind smooth, then paint. Yeah, a little work is involved, but then you'll have something that will fit with whatever valve cover you want and still look stock to most people, except us that know.

CAD can be your friend in this situation. Cardboard Aided Design, that is

pjmoreland 01-22-2023 08:17 PM

I wonder if your valve cover clearance issue is why some of those brackets have a notch in them like the one shown in this thread.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...+a%2Fc+bracket

mrein3 01-23-2023 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 9169480)
I was wondering if any one has a possible fix. I have factory A/V on my 70, but I also have a set of Original Micky Thompson Valve covers I'd like to use. However, they are a little taller than factory and the one A/C bracket won't clear it. Anyone figured out how to get a bracket that is taller or am I stuck with factory style valve covers?

I really don't want to go pancake style cause I already have all the new stuff in the factory style.

It has been a while (ten plus years) since I did it but I put factory AC in my truck that didn't come from the factory with AC. After I did all the work to make the firewall right, I figured the factory brackets I bought off the parts list here would be a breeze since I was running factory valve covers, factory exhaust manifolds, and a factory style AC compressor.

Nope.

The "slide" bracket you got circled that goes over the valve cover wasn't hitting the valve cover but it was too long. I think the issue for me was a non-factory intake so the end that goes past the bracket on the intake was hitting the aftermarket intake.

Really long story short, I simply made another one. I think if you took some flat stock and played around with it some you could come up with an angle that will work with a higher valve cover under it.

You'll note the GM person that figured it out the first time did a little grinding himself - or herself - to clearance the high side of the valve cover as there is a little indent in the factory piece.

Squirt it with a little semi-gloss black when you're done to match the factory brackets and nobody has to be wiser that you fabbed it yourself.

BROWN 70 01-23-2023 03:17 PM

hi guys, when i put my ac back on after header install, ( had to mod the lower bracket) I left the back bracket off. never any problems at all. BROWN 70