The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Is this rare at all? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=601221)

redogre 10-21-2013 12:01 PM

Is this rare at all?

hey, this is my first post on here (awesome website btw), anyway i recently bought a 1971 c10 that is almost 100%stock the only aftermarket part is a rv camshaft. its a factory big block with factory ac, power steering, power brakes and posi. i was considering changing the motor but then i thought maybe its worth more leaving it stock and selling it and buying a different one. i figured if anyone would know it would be you guys!
thanks a ton, redogre.

69 gmc 10-21-2013 12:07 PM

Re: Is this rare at all?

First off, welcome to the site! I'm not sure if rare is the word, might be valuable though. One thing that you will learn here is that everyone wants to see pictures.

jorgensensc 10-21-2013 12:17 PM

Is it a long bed or short bed? I agree with 69 GMC, rare is a funny word. I just removed the big block from my '72 suburban to put an LS motor in. Didn't bother me too much as the suburban is a driver, not completely stock, and a 3/4 ton. Most 3/4 tons that I have seen have big blocks. How far are you wanting to customize the truck. The truck might be worth more to some in its original state if you are going crazy custom, however if your just wanting to change out the motor I wouldn't stress about it too much. Although there is something to be said about customizing a completely stock vehicle in good condition, sometimes makes it an easier process (just ask N2Trux). Now if it is a short bed, then we have an entirely different situation. But as said before,
:wop:

And welcome to the board!
Shawn

PanelDeland 10-21-2013 12:28 PM

WELCOME!!! Rare maybe,desireable? Here's the best definition of the difference between the two I've ever seen.A member here posted it once.

"It's rare that I crap my pants,however it is never desireable."

mmiddle 10-21-2013 03:52 PM

I agree on the "RARE" statement.
A short bed factory big block C/10 is very uncommon, a log bed c/10 is more common. Both are very desirable to someone wanting a big block. Part of the problem is that these trucks are easily cloned and the SPID is easily forged.

To a person just wanting a truck the big block (original or not) is likely a negative rather than a positive.

IMHO: a big block is for show and bragging rights and nothing else. A properly converted LS powered truck is the ticket.

RenoKeene 10-21-2013 04:05 PM

Welcome from Central Florida!
If its a factory loaded big block 1/2 ton short bed its fairly rare, a longbed maybe not so much.

67swb72klb 10-21-2013 04:09 PM

first welcome to the site!
you can allways take the motor out and stash it away for later
but you need to get some pics up of that RARE truck :lol:

hugger6933 10-21-2013 04:23 PM

Welcome to you from the eastern part of Arkansas. I know that you will find a wealth of knowledge and helpful info on here for you and about your truck. Jim

Tinkermc 10-21-2013 07:34 PM

Welcome to the Forum but we NEED pics.

TBONE1964 10-21-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redogre (Post 6325845)
hey, this is my first post on here (awesome website btw), anyway i recently bought a 1971 c10 that is almost 100%stock the only aftermarket part is a rv camshaft. its a factory big block with factory ac, power steering, power brakes and posi. i was considering changing the motor but then i thought maybe its worth more leaving it stock and selling it and buying a different one. i figured if anyone would know it would be you guys!
thanks a ton, redogre.

Welcome to the site neighbor. I am also in Oxford, MI. I would like to see your truck sometime when I am actually in Oxford. I do a lot of travel for my job and not there very much.

There are many very educated people here that can help you and answer questions. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with. I also buy and sell parts and restore gaugeBe clusters in my spare time.

Beware, it is very easy to get addicted to this site. Have fun.
Tom

redogre 10-23-2013 08:45 PM

sorry for the delay, i got tied up in football. Thank you guys so much for your replies! and tom ill be sure to show you it some day, ill probably start a new thread including pictures, i just haven't picked up the truck yet. again thank you guys for your input so far!

1972RedNeck 10-23-2013 11:27 PM

:wop:

I think a stroker crank in that 402 would be pretty good.