The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   !!!!!!!!!!Brake problem!!!!!!!!!!! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=212941)

ole_blue_72 10-11-2006 06:18 PM

!!!!!!!!!!Brake problem!!!!!!!!!!!

Wooo Ole blue woooo. shew im havin a bad day with breaks. the rear breaks keep lockin up. i took everything off. thought they may be adjusted up to tight i backed them off and it seemed to make them worse. i have bleed them so i dotn think that that is what it is. the fronts seem to be workin no rust on the rotors. there was alot of break dust in the rear drums. also the master cylinder is leaking around the cap. i think i have it narrowed down to 2 maybe 3 things either the wheel cylinder or the mastercyclinder and i guess that the perpotioning valve could play a part in this as well. if anyone anyone else has had this problem any help would be great. ohh and the drivers side seems to do it the worst thanks for the help

rage'nrat638 10-11-2006 06:50 PM

Re: !!!!!!!!!!Break problem!!!!!!!!!!!

if you have not replaced the rear wheel cyl's do it ...even if they look good. REPLACE BOTH..
i had the same problem's and mine looked fine...as a last straw i replaced the wheel cyl's
no more problems at all.. :)

ThatOneBlue67 10-11-2006 06:53 PM

Are the wheel cylinders leaking at all? Dried up fluid can allow the brake pads to grab the drum too soon. Current situation on one of my trucks... the right rear locks up all the time.

Proportioning valve may explain some of it but I don't have much experience in that field to suggest anything.

ole_blue_72 10-11-2006 09:29 PM

the break dust in the drums was kinda gummy like it had been wet at one time i will replace the wheel cylinders first along with new pads. should i scuff the drums with sand paper to make sure there is no fluid left on them??

centsless 10-11-2006 09:45 PM

Replace the wheel cylinders and the brake shoes. Clean the drums with brakleen and then scuff them up with sand paper.

ThatOneBlue67 10-12-2006 01:42 AM

:agree:

Or have them professionally turned.

KEH 10-12-2006 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatOneBlue67 (Post 1825304)
Are the wheel cylinders leaking at all? Dried up fluid can allow the brake pads to grab the drum too soon. Current situation on one of my trucks... the right rear locks up all the time.

Proportioning valve may explain some of it but I don't have much experience in that field to suggest anything.

I have the same thing going on...the right rear locking up. I think leaking fluid is the problem too.

70GMCer 10-12-2006 04:19 PM

Re: !!!!!!!!!!Brake problem!!!!!!!!!!!

Just went and bought new rear wheel cyls for $11.88 ea. at Advance Auto...

bryanw1968 10-12-2006 04:32 PM

Brake stuff is SO cheap now a days it's best to replace as much as you can with new. You can scrub, adjust, sand and rebuild wheel cylinders all you want but you still might have problems. IMHO

Good luck!
B-dub

ole_blue_72 10-12-2006 04:41 PM

thanks for all the help guys im goin to get the wheel chylinders this weekend and hopefully that will do the trick

70rs/ss 10-12-2006 05:02 PM

It is also very possible that the rubber hoses can collapse inside. My rt front on a chevelle I had years ago locked and wouldn't release, my brother told me to put a new rubber hose and well it worked. If both were locking I'd see check this and even if not the hose goes bad from the inside out.

qksilver 10-12-2006 06:57 PM

I agree with 70rs/ss, replace the hoses

Cun-tree 11-09-2015 05:38 AM

Did the wheel cylinders fix your problem?

Boog 11-09-2015 06:49 AM

This is an old thread from 2006 Ashdown. The original poster hasn't posted since 2007. Unlikely he is still around but you may get some help here.

Cun-tree 11-09-2015 06:55 AM

Cool, I didnt see it was that old. Searcy Arkansas. I have spent alot of time there. It is a nice town. Have a great day!

Boog 11-09-2015 07:09 AM

Yeah hey neighbor. Searcy's a good place to call home.
Just what kind of brake problems are you having? Go ahead and post up your particulars and questions. Plenty of good people here to offer help.

Cun-tree 11-09-2015 07:36 AM

I just happened across this thread. I hadnt had the issue yet. Currently, I am missing some ebrake parts. I posted a introduction thread under builds. Yea, I used to love going to the flea markets in Judsonia. I used to hunt in Augusta, my granmother had a farm out there for a couple of years. I loved it.