The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Electric WP or no? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=624870)

79Betty 04-13-2014 06:56 PM

Electric WP or no?

Well after a few years my water pump crapped out on me. Right after i bought new tires... Weird how that works isn't it? Haha. Anyway i've seen a few trucks with electric water pumps, are they worth the hype? My truck is a DD and mudder and toy with a direct drive fan, which i've also been thinking about converting to electric. What are your all's opinions. Worth it or no? Or just stay all mechanical?

monte0185 04-14-2014 12:13 PM

Re: Electric WP or no?

Couple things to think about.. 1st What about your accessories that run off the water pump pulley. Your gonna have to buy shorter belts and different brackets. 2nd Electric water pump is about 100$ for a decent one and electric motors burn out alot faster in a DD vs a play toy. Cost of a mechanical stock one is about 30$ last time i bought one i think. Just a couple things to think about.

79Betty 04-14-2014 05:23 PM

Money is no problem to me. Can always work for more. And i' have... Power steering and alternator that is it as for belt driven things. I was just curious as to if an electric would yeild less drag on the motor and hopefully get some more power. Turnin 38's on a stock motor sucks. Tryin to help it one piece at a time.

MalibuSSwagon 04-14-2014 07:37 PM

I would just stick with the mechanical water pump. That cash is better spent on a cam if you're looking for more power.

I would do electric fans for sure. I love the Windstar fan set on my C10, truck warms up quick and doesn't have the loud whirring noise constantly.

willett 04-14-2014 07:52 PM

I have no experience with electric wp's but to me having one on a d/d 4x4sounds like an awful idea, however I can understand the benefits if your strictly laying rubber on the 1/4 mile.

79Betty 04-14-2014 08:08 PM

Sounds like electric fans are way to go with a mechanical pump. I'd do a cam intake swap and all but i'm afraid to really tear into a perfectly good motor to get me from a to b ya know? I was just curious to see if there were gains from those two. Now i'm curious about mpg... Wonder what motor i can put in a truck with 11" of lift turnin 40's and get my Best mpg...any thoughts?

softballnrd27 04-14-2014 09:19 PM

LS swap would yield some decent MPGs, but a brick with 40" tires is going to pretty much kill good MPGs anyway.

tucsonjwt 04-14-2014 09:36 PM

I know nothing - about electric pumps, but I have always installed Delco replacement pumps and they have never failed. I would make sure you have all of the correct hose fittings that attach to it and I used teflon tape on the threads. You can get Delco pumps for not much $$ from the online OEM vendors.