The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Criminals! and a steal proof hatch. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=522283)

Treachera 04-30-2012 12:40 PM

Criminals! and a steal proof hatch.

Hello!

So.. The rear hatch was stolen off of my 71' Jimmy... needless to say, I'm upset about it:sumo: My question is:

Has anyone ever done any mods to make their hatch steal-proof? I was thinking (when I find a hatch) to bolt it in nice and tight, and then grind the bolts smooth.

It also bothers me that another 1st gen owner is likely the criminal.

99-LS1-SS 04-30-2012 12:44 PM

Re: Criminals! and a steal proof hatch.

Wow, I didn't know people were stealing stuff like that. That makes me nervous.

Treachera 04-30-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS (Post 5344852)
Wow, I didn't know people were stealing stuff like that. That makes me nervous.

yeah..they got me good! but never again:devil: and if you look at the price of these hatches new, it's no wonder they would get stolen.

cleszkie 04-30-2012 02:32 PM

Seems to me that if your hatch lock works (and door locks), the thief would not be able to access the hinge bolts from inside the Blazer. When you get a replacement hatch, make sure you have a working locking handle and this shouldn't happen again. Sorry and good luck.

Treachera 04-30-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleszkie (Post 5345006)
Seems to me that if your hatch lock works (and door locks), the thief would not be able to access the hinge bolts from inside the Blazer. When you get a replacement hatch, make sure you have a working locking handle and this shouldn't happen again. Sorry and good luck.

Yeah, that is true, but lets face it, these older trucks are easy to get in to if someone really wants.

SamMargritz00 04-30-2012 04:32 PM

i have this same concern. since ive put some much time and money into my interior id be very mad and upset if it gets stolen.

turp mcspray 04-30-2012 09:35 PM

This reminds me of a friend years ago, who had his trim rings stolen, from his rally wheels. He decided to weld some 1/4" studs to each wheel, then drill holes in the rings for the studs to poke through. After which he could attach some wingnuts, to make them harder to remove. It was decided that simply drilling holes in the trim rings, was probably all that was necessary to keep them from getting stolen. LOL!

Firebirdjones 04-30-2012 11:26 PM

My hatch stays locked,,,,not sure how anyone could steel it. If you tried to pry it open it would surely crack or break and be useless anyway...

If you keep the hatch locked,,,I really don't see anyone taking it. Honestly though, the hatch has never been my concern,,,I've always been worried about the truck itself as a whole :lol:

Lot's of relatively easy things you can do to prevent theft though, or at least slow them down enough to draw attention. ;)

Hidden key lock switches for the ignition power and fuel pump are good ones,,,,just sayin'

bouncytruck 04-30-2012 11:59 PM

I'm more concerned with someone stealing the whole truck. I had my Blazer parked in the driveway one night and my wife heard a car outside. She looked out the window to see someone trying open the door. I got lucky that we saw them. The truck is now locked in the garage where they can't steal it or the rear hatch.

I've also heard about thieves backing a tow truck up to a car and towing it away.

mustardjimmy71 05-01-2012 04:35 AM

'65 nova headlight trim have the same prroblem
Posted via Mobile Device

AJs72K5 05-01-2012 08:49 AM

What is this hatch you speak of??

Dunenutt 05-01-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJs72K5 (Post 5346689)
What is this hatch you speak of??

It was a rare option, available only to northern, and eastern states. It connects to something called a top. It has something to do with a condition called rain, and or snow...Very rare indeed!:lol:

Treachera 05-01-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunenutt (Post 5346786)
It was a rare option, available only to northern, and eastern states. It connects to something called a top. It has something to do with a condition called rain, and or snow...Very rare indeed!:lol:

HAHA! Seriously though. I walked outside and there my truck was..no hatch..and the dude even felt comfortable enough to smoke a cigarette whilst stealing my hatch. ashes everywhere!

I do like Turps story about welding studs to the trim rings, might do that myself.

Firebirdjones 05-01-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bouncytruck (Post 5346358)
I'm more concerned with someone stealing the whole truck. I had my Blazer parked in the driveway one night and my wife heard a car outside. She looked out the window to see someone trying open the door. I got lucky that we saw them. The truck is now locked in the garage where they can't steal it or the rear hatch.

I've also heard about thieves backing a tow truck up to a car and towing it away.

Yep, and to do that with anything of mine will require work as well, as I always back into parking spots with no rear access.

So they would have to crawl under neath and unhook shift linkage and parking brake,,,,or jack the rear up for tire rollers.

Pulling from behind wouldn't be all that easy with a 1st gen blazer either, since the steering wheel doesn't lock,,,,it would require tire rollers under the front too.

Either way it's not very quick to do, in broad daylight they sure would be attracting attention to themselves. It also helps that I never leave it parked where I can't watch it, and it doesn't sit outside at night either, locked garage only. Part of collector car insurance policy anyway.

jeffg1010 05-01-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bouncytruck (Post 5346358)
I'm more concerned with someone stealing the whole truck.

This has always been my concern. Of course the Burb has barn doors and I havent had the Blazer very long. BUT ... I did have to replace the hatch, and I wouldn't want to have to do it again! Of course, I have mine completely tore down for restoration, getting ready for paint. (sitting on sawhorses in the driveway) haha! Guess I better drag it back in the garage.

I never even thought about it being a hot item. What a scumbag. I hope he isn't a board member! But if he is, Maybe he will be an idiot and post a new thread bragging about his newly acquired hatch :lol:

Angelse68cal 05-02-2012 01:22 AM

Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified items. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help.

fxdxharley 05-02-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Treachera (Post 5344915)
yeah..they got me good! but never again:devil: and if you look at the price of these hatches new, it's no wonder they would get stolen.

Where are you finding new hatches? just curious.

bouncytruck 05-02-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fxdxharley (Post 5348891)
Where are you finding new hatches? just curious.

Brother's sells them. I have not read good things here on the board about the way they fit. http://www.brotherstrucks.com/prodin...number=BRH6972

fxdxharley 05-02-2012 09:10 PM

i was browsing on brothers site before i asked and didnt find it. just not in the right spot i guess

Tom Vogel 05-03-2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fxdxharley (Post 5349699)
i was browsing on brothers site before i asked and didnt find it. just not in the right spot i guess

You DONT want one... Honest.

K5Danny 05-03-2012 09:42 AM

Guys! I finally got a rear hatch for my K5! Haha, just kidding. I love how the missing hatch adds to the pleasure of inhaling all the fumes from burnt oil and transmission fluid. Sorry about your hatch Treachera =/
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device