The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   tilly to the rescue (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=553769)

clemdaddy 11-27-2012 09:07 AM

tilly to the rescue

3 Attachment(s)
here we go again...

this time its a 65, C-20 utility bed, rescue vehicle that is being built for a buddy.

this project is a shop truck for a harley davidson shop. my buddy needs a truck that can go out on the road and recover bikes that are broken down. it needs ramps and a winch, air compressor and a tool assortment, plus anything that he wants to make this truck work for his business.

plan is to do a frame off resto job replacing all worn parts as we build it back. a crate engine and overdrive automatic is planned for power but other than that the chassis will be reasonably stock. additions will be power steering and brakes, factory air, big radiator and tach/air gauge dash.

buddy wants cool paint job in the colors of his business (black and copper) and logos on the doors and tailgate. side molding and chrome grill and bumpers.

so, nothing to it but to do it....

clemdaddy 11-27-2012 09:22 AM

Re: tilly to the rescue

2 Attachment(s)
spent the weekend doing disassembly... (tag & bag) and a general inspection.
probably won't use this cab... we have an air cab with big window instead.

the clip seems to be in good condition...

clemdaddy 11-27-2012 09:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
the utility bed is in great shape... very straight and all cabinets function good. this is where the work will start.. off to sand blasting while the weather holds.

clemdaddy 11-27-2012 09:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
now that the backbone is exposed i really appreciate how beefy these C-20s really are. hugh coin springs and overloads out back. massive drum brakes and a little bitty 283. seems odd to me that some of the bigger trucks didn't come with the 396 big block they had back then. i know the 327 was available but for hauling around this much weight, that won't cut it either.

Ta2Don 11-27-2012 10:03 AM

Subscribed with anticipation...

dr69burb 11-27-2012 10:55 AM

This build is going to be awesome.
Posted via Mobile Device

bonehead 11-27-2012 11:14 AM

Hey, could you post a few nice pictures of the spare tire setup. I am putting my spare back under my long bed and it would be nice to see what goes where and which holes the hangers are in. Thanks in advance.

clemdaddy 11-27-2012 02:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonehead (Post 5725743)
Hey, could you post a few nice pictures of the spare tire setup. I am putting my spare back under my long bed and it would be nice to see what goes where and which holes the hangers are in. Thanks in advance.

here ya go... hope it helps.

GCncsuHD 11-27-2012 03:12 PM

Interesting, I noticed you named it "Tilly" and it's for a Harley Davidson shop, is it for either of the Tilley Harley Davidson dealerships?

bonehead 11-27-2012 03:34 PM

Thanks for the spare rack pics, those are very clear.

Great job.:metal:

McMurphy 11-27-2012 04:11 PM

You are about 5 years ahead of me right now Clem....
this is what I envision retirement to be like, rescuing and breathing new life into these trucks !!!
Strapped in for the show !!

MisterC 11-27-2012 05:02 PM

Following along intently!

Dinos63 11-27-2012 06:39 PM

Thats one lucky truck and truck owner!! To have you guys redo-it!! Going to be killer

Captainfab 11-28-2012 12:53 AM

Looks to be a rather nice original truck you are starting with Clem :thumbs:

I see you have a few lined up in the yard too :)

clemdaddy 11-28-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCncsuHD (Post 5726140)
Interesting, I noticed you named it "Tilly" and it's for a Harley Davidson shop, is it for either of the Tilley Harley Davidson dealerships?

tilly's not the name of the shop, just arkie slang for utility bed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 5726235)
You are about 5 years ahead of me right now Clem....
this is what I envision retirement to be like, rescuing and breathing new life into these trucks !!!
Strapped in for the show !!

wish it was retirement pal and could do this all day everyday... but alas, i still sit in front of a computer 40 hours a week... hey, maybe we'll have a retirement party together?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinos63 (Post 5726481)
Thats one lucky truck and truck owner!! To have you guys redo-it!! Going to be killer

yeah the owner is a cool guy with good taste... has some very nice bikes and loves old GTOs. it will be interesting to build one with someone elses direction, hope we can deliver for him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 5727349)
Looks to be a rather nice original truck you are starting with Clem :thumbs:
I see you have a few lined up in the yard too :)

thanks cap.
the truck was part of a log home builders fleet. its amazing to have such straight metal.

Low Elco 11-28-2012 11:34 AM

Solid start! It'll be cool to see one workin'!

chad64chevy 11-28-2012 10:01 PM

cool build clems cant wait!! i heard you bought kieths truck, is that the cab your using??

Bomp 11-29-2012 12:11 AM

Got in on this one from the start. Dedicated watcher here!

Zane M 11-29-2012 09:14 AM

I'll be watching this one for sure.
On a side note, I wish I could find a low side utility bed like that one.

duallyjams 11-29-2012 09:35 AM

Do you have a rendering for this build ?

Corts60 11-29-2012 11:12 AM

Very nice Clem. This should be awesome!
Posted via Mobile Device

clemdaddy 01-08-2013 03:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chad64chevy (Post 5728958)
cool build clems cant wait!! i heard you bought kieths truck, is that the cab your using??

nope, got another one in mind. do you remember the green one out back... thats the one. since the plan is aftermarket air we didn't need to use the air cab. and thanks, chad

Quote:

Originally Posted by duallyjams (Post 5729649)
Do you have a rendering for this build ?

have been busy on a 51 one-ton lately but here and there some stuff happened for tilly... close on primer on the bed, frame stripped and cleaned ready for blasting, front cradle torn down and ready to cleanup... pics when i get to a good stopping place.

and have just started with the renderings. the company colors are black and copper so the orangeie color is copper. personally i like the white one.

should be back with photos in a week or two... thanks!

McMurphy 01-08-2013 06:19 PM

You know looking at the color rendering you have going on there, it occured to me that continuing the trim back on the bed would be a really cool touch.

Either the actual chrome trim, or a painted on, whichever would be more functionally sound.....

clemdaddy 01-08-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 5804627)
You know looking at the color rendering you have going on there, it occured to me that continuing the trim back on the bed would be a really cool touch.

Either the actual chrome trim, or a painted on, whichever would be more functionally sound.....

i like that idea... i've had to shorten and shape the ends of that moulding before so its not a big deal, but it would run close to the edge of the middle box. i'll do a little art to see how it looks, thanks murph.

personally i not too wild about the copper color being even on this truck, except maybe in the logo. might do a satin black rendering also.

coulter 01-08-2013 10:50 PM

This is gonna be a cool build. Im in for this one
Posted via Mobile Device