The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Speakers in doors (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=814976)

vet57air 11-27-2020 06:39 PM

Speakers in doors

I am building a highly modified 66 C10. It is a Cgt. I am designing and installing a stereo system. Stock radio is getting converted and have couple of subs an amp and some 6.5's with tweeters. My original thought was to use retrosound kick panels to house the 6.5's but have been thinking alot of placing them in my uncut doors. I have seen our trucks with speakers and custom designed speaker grills in the doors and they look awesome. Just can't get my mind around cutting the doors. Any thought?

vet57air 11-27-2020 09:52 PM

Re: Speakers in doors

1 Attachment(s)
dd

PGSigns 11-27-2020 10:12 PM

Those grills look good. I have a nice set of doors for my 65 but I need to weld up the holes from some 6X9's. If you do put em in the doors roll bed liner material on the door skin. It really works good to keep the door from acting as a drum and improves the sound from the stereo.
Jimmy

jweb 11-27-2020 10:18 PM

I would go with the kick panels. That way they’re removable. Here’s a good write up on making your own:

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=Sonic+nirvana

AcampoDave 11-27-2020 10:34 PM

If you do cut it, try to do it i one clean piece. That way you can save it to weld back in If you ever change your mind.

vet57air 11-27-2020 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jweb (Post 8841786)
I would go with the kick panels. That way they’re removable. Here’s a good write up on making your own:

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=Sonic+nirvana

I had seen this before. Good read with a lot of information. The first picture of that thread shows his final product. It looks great and apparently sounds great. For me and my build though it just looks a little too modern.

The Rocknrod 11-28-2020 10:14 AM

Or you could save your doors and put these in for the speakers - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=814630

vet57air 11-28-2020 12:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rocknrod (Post 8841921)
Or you could save your doors and put these in for the speakers - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=814630

Although I am thinking I will not use the kick panels for speakers, this gentleman had a great amount of info.
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=kick+speakers
The way I am thinking is most high end OEM audio use speakers in the doors. Going forward my truck will always have a stereo so I don't see a reason that I would have to weld up the holes. I have purchased an Audison amp and speakers and have an investment in it and want to make it sound as good as I can. The guy I bought my audio equipment from, felt the doors would be far superior for sound over the kicks in my application.
Attachment 2063617
This is where I'm at now. Plan to build a panel where the fuel tank once rested to house the sub woofers. The woofers will be as close to the cab corners as possible. In between the woofer boxes I plan to use as storage space as there is not much in these trucks. The 6.5" speakers will go near the front of the doors with a custom grill of my making and the small tweeters likely will go at the top of the kick panels just under the dash. I appreciate every ones input as I find sometimes just talking about a problem helps me come to conclusion.

bigmoe 11-28-2020 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vet57air (Post 8841693)
I am building a highly modified 66 C10. It is a Cgt.

I'm curious. What is a CGT?

Acronym Definition
CGT Capital Gains Tax
CGT Carrera GT (Porsche)
CGT California Guitar Trio (band)
CGT Center for Globalization of Technology
CGT Cellular and Gene Therapy
CGT Computer Graphics Technology
CGT Combinatorial Game Theory (mathematics)
CGT Compensated Gross Tons (ship's capacity measure)
CGT Carolina Gas Transmission (South Carolina)
CGT Classic Golf Tours
CGT Citibank Global Transfer (online service)
CGT Code Generation Tool (computing)
CGT Canadian General-Tower Limited (Canada)
CGT Cummins Generator Technologies
CGT City Game Tracker
CGT Combustion Gas Turbine
CGT Conventional Gait Training
CGT Ceramide Glucosyltransferase
CGT Church Growth Today
CGT Certified Gastroenterology Technician
CGT Communications Graphic Technology (certificate program)
CGT Computer Generated Threat

TopFuel1966 11-28-2020 01:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Don't cut big holes in your unmolested doors. I used the kickpanel mounts and they worked out great.....

vet57air 11-28-2020 01:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmoe (Post 8841989)
I'm curious. What is a CGT?

Acronym Definition
CGT Capital Gains Tax
CGT Carrera GT (Porsche)
CGT California Guitar Trio (band)
CGT Center for Globalization of Technology
CGT Cellular and Gene Therapy
CGT Computer Graphics Technology
CGT Combinatorial Game Theory (mathematics)
CGT Compensated Gross Tons (ship's capacity measure)
CGT Carolina Gas Transmission (South Carolina)
CGT Classic Golf Tours
CGT Citibank Global Transfer (online service)
CGT Code Generation Tool (computing)
CGT Canadian General-Tower Limited (Canada)
CGT Cummins Generator Technologies
CGT City Game Tracker
CGT Combustion Gas Turbine
CGT Conventional Gait Training
CGT Ceramide Glucosyltransferase
CGT Church Growth Today
CGT Certified Gastroenterology Technician
CGT Communications Graphic Technology (certificate program)
CGT Computer Generated Threat

It is my acronym for my C10. Highly modified for Grand Touring
Attachment 2063620

Mack B 11-28-2020 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vet57air (Post 8841775)
dd

If planning something like the grills in your second post, I’d go for it. It looks more at home than a lot of alternatives offered in my opinion.

The Rocknrod 11-28-2020 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topfuel1966 (Post 8841997)
don't cut big holes in your unmolested doors. I used the kickpanel mounts and they worked out great.....

x2

spudder 11-28-2020 06:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
PLEASE, don't put speakers in your doors. JMO, never liked the idea of cutting holes. Kick panels are OK but most look like an add on.
Here is what we did in the '64 we're working on. We added speakers in the corners under the dash. Modified brackets from the dash speakers of a mid 80s square body They are only 3 1/2 inch Kicker speakers but hope they will work for now. Intend to add rear corner speakers after the fuel tank is relocated.
Here are a couple of pictures.

G8rN@te61 11-29-2020 09:10 AM

I have Kenwood 6x9 three ways in my doors done by previous owner. I put sound deadener around in the bottom of it and it actually kinda acts like a subwoofer box. Sounds great IMHO. If you are highly modifying your truck whats the difference in cutting into the doors. I also have low profile powered Kenwood sub under the seat. About to add another one under passenger for better thump. 4x6 center channel is next to round it out.

norcalcap 11-29-2020 07:19 PM

FWIW, I installed custom made kick panels which accommodate a 5-1/4 2 way speaker. My doors were uncut, and couldn't convince myself to cut into them. I am very happy I did the kick panels, I even retained the full functionality of the vents. Additional 6-1/2 are in the rear cab corners with a 8" sub.

jocko 11-29-2020 08:37 PM

ah, CGT. I was wondering too.. It's only your acronym for your truck if you tell people what it means ;)

Your truck looks awesome by the way, very sharp build.

I lean to the purist "don't cut it!" side of the fence pretty hard. With all the options for great sounding speakers that can be completely hidden without cutting the doors or making the kick panels look like a truck from Star Trek - in a small C10 cab, it sure seems that stealth, rather than flash, might be a very reasonable option - with all the quality sound one could ever need. My 2 cents only :) Again, truck looks great, you really can't go wrong with whatever you choose - as your truck is very modified already - and I think the speaker grilles you posted in your first post are very tasteful (remind me of a vintage Fender amp), much better looking than the old Kraco grilles hangin from one screw like all my trucks seem to have had at one point... But if your doors aren't cut, well, they're only uncut once. Keep us posted!

verdell 11-30-2020 11:03 AM

I have to agree with the others...Brother, don't cut up your doors

SCOTI 11-30-2020 12:44 PM

They cut long beds down to short beds & do it well enough that a person wouldn't know the difference unless told.

Dashes that are hacked can be easily repaired to stock appearance again.

Rusted panels get replacement skins/patches all the time & you wouldn't be wiser on a painted truck unless the info is offered.

It's freakin' metal. And, it's metal of a 'custom' truck. A custom truck as-in not a restoration or even a resto-mod truck.

Cut the doors if you want speakers there. If @ some point you decide you don't want them in your doors any more, weld the holes back up & repaint that area of the door. It's been done once or twice..... @ least.

The Rocknrod 11-30-2020 01:12 PM

SCOTI your right. I just think it looks cheap and obvious.

vet57air 11-30-2020 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8842756)
They cut long beds down to short beds & do it well enough that a person wouldn't know the difference unless told.

Dashes that are hacked can be easily repaired to stock appearance again.

Rusted panels get replacement skins/patches all the time & you wouldn't be wiser on a painted truck unless the info is offered.

It's freakin' metal. And, it's metal of a 'custom' truck. A custom truck as-in not a restoration or even a resto-mod truck.

Cut the doors if you want speakers there. If @ some point you decide you don't want them in your doors any more, weld the holes back up & repaint that area of the door. It's been done once or twice..... @ least.

Well said. This appears to be a controversial subject. I get it if your doing a correct restoration and you have to fix some speaker holes that someone else put there its like .....dam! But if your doing a modified truck like me that has a custom frame, engine/trans, firewall will it really matter? Heck I raised my big hump trans tunnel 2" which took a bit of cutting. I am getting my stock radio converted with Aurora design internals and have purchased a Audison amp/dsp with 2 x 10" subs with 6.5" mids and tweeters so I have a bit of coin invested in the audio system and want it to be the best it can be.
I am including the link to my build so you can see what I have done.
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=785046&page=5

SCOTI 11-30-2020 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rocknrod (Post 8842779)

Possibly..... If it's a hack-job. As listed above, there are alternatives for grilles and coverings so that it CAN be tastefully done as well.

Poor execution usually yields poor results. The most common method (cut hole, drill outer perimeter for 4qty sheet-metal screws, install speakers, install standard black speaker grilles, put tools away because your done) would fall under cheap & obvious description IMHO. But, even that method of installation works just fine on a non-stock truck. A little extra effort can help w/that as well (symmetrical installation L&R, nice visual placement, better quality speaker grilles w/hidden fasteners, matching/contrasting paint, nostalgic or alternative coverings, etc).

It really comes down to the end user of the vehicle & what works for them. Our/my opinion doesn't matter otherwise other than ideas & input to help w/their decisions.

Mack B 11-30-2020 02:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rocknrod (Post 8842779)

You really think the top option doesn’t look obvious? And that the bottom option looks cheap?

SCOTI 11-30-2020 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mack B (Post 8842819)
You really think the top option doesn’t look obvious? And that the bottom option looks cheap?

The kick panel speaker set-up above looks 'cheap' vs. the in-door, color matched, retro looking speaker grille next to it. The 'retro' grille is sized correctly & follows contours of the lower door skin.

tigerburns 11-30-2020 11:01 PM

PO of my truck had cut door panels to put speakers in them. Also had hacked up the dash for modifications. I just got done patching the dash and the the holes in the doors. Wouldn’t suggest cutting into either if it is unmolested. Don’t know how my PO brought himself to do it.